MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

After reading that copy of Stereo Review, I have to admit that:
  1. The turntables were cooler in 1987 than they are now,
  2. Ad copywriters had more fun back then, and
  3. Audiophiles are still worried by many of the same issues.
Do amps sound the same?

How to choose a turntable?

How many times have those articles been written? 😂

Need a little help deciding on a preamp as I’ve never used a separate preamp before and could use some input from those with experience. Thinking of pulling the trigger on an open box UltraPhono for $375. Should I be giving other preamps more consideration in the sub-$500 us price range like Schiit Skoll, Cambridge Alva Duo, Pro-Ject Tube Box s2 among others?

I have a Parasound ZPhono USB that I guess would do the job but I haven’t played around with it. Despite my current carts, I’m looking to get a Grado wood cart (opus3 or platinum/sonata any gen) and wanting something that will work nicely.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Need a little help deciding on a preamp as I’ve never used a separate preamp before and could use some input from those with experience. Thinking of pulling the trigger on an open box UltraPhono for $375. Should I be giving other preamps more consideration in the sub-$500 us price range like Schiit Skoll, Cambridge Alva Duo, Pro-Ject Tube Box s2 among others?

I have a Parasound ZPhono USB that I guess would do the job but I haven’t played around with it. Despite my current carts, I’m looking to get a Grado wood cart (opus3 or platinum/sonata any gen) and wanting something that will work nicely.

Out of those options I’d find it hard to look past the ultraphono at that price. Although, admittedly the new shiit does look interesting too. The 50dB option on it does open up low output Grado woodies if that was something you were interested in. The 46dB is just about able for them but you’ll probably be cranking the volume control on the amp more than you’re used to, not that there’s anthrax wrong with that!

Any of them would work with the high output woodies.

Any of them would work with the high output woodies.
Thanks for the response, @Joe Mac. Looking like I’m going high output. After reading @HiFi Guy ‘s review for the Darlington mm-6, I’ve added another option to the list, but I think the UltraPhono is probably still the right choice. I just didn’t want to be blinded by the discount and let that override my objectivity.

I did worry after reading this review article: Grado Labs Gold3 And Opus3 Phono Cartridge A nice pair of phono cartridges by Grado Labs. Review By Danko Šuvar Of HiFiMedia
“With MoFi SuperPhono, which sounded very good with Gold3, Opus3 sounded a little too present in the upper midrange and tipped up in high treble (a characteristic of MoFi). While that lift was complementing the Gold3 nicely, making it more open and analytical, with Opus it was slightly distracting.”

They corrected to read StudioPhono in the description of gear used at the end of the article. It just gave me the opportunity to further question myself. Damn rabbit hole. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
I’ve been very impressed by what I’m reading about Michael Fidler’s phonostages.

The Spartan 5 is a MM/high-output only phono, but looks to be very high performing for $200. The MC Pro is a low-output MC specialty that costs more.

Edit: Corrected the price of the Spartan 5 and added a detailed review.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, @Joe Mac. Looking like I’m going high output. After reading @HiFi Guy’s review for the Darlington mm-6, I’ve added another option to the list, but I think the UltraPhono is probably still the right choice. I just didn’t want to be blinded by the discount and let that override my objectivity.

I did worry after reading this review article: Grado Labs Gold3 And Opus3 Phono Cartridge A nice pair of phono cartridges by Grado Labs. Review By Danko Šuvar Of HiFiMedia
“With MoFi SuperPhono, which sounded very good with Gold3, Opus3 sounded a little too present in the upper midrange and tipped up in high treble (a characteristic of MoFi). While that lift was complementing the Gold3 nicely, making it more open and analytical, with Opus it was slightly distracting.”

They corrected to read StudioPhono in the description of gear used at the end of the article. It just gave me the opportunity to further question myself. Damn rabbit hole. 🤦🏻‍♂️
I own an Ultradeck and DLabs MP-7, (upgraded from MM-6). I doubt that you would be disappointed with that combination. I've also heard great things about several <$1000 phono amps including the Ultraphono and Schiit Mani (II). My money would be on the MM-6, but I honestly don't think you would be disappointed with any of the ones that you're considering.

EDIT: forgot to mention...I own a Grado Gold3 and Opus 3. I haven't had them mounted in over a year, so my specific recollection about performance would be useless. That being said, I never remember having issues or experiencing anything other than pleasant listening from either of them.

Last edited:
I’ve been very impressed by what I’m reading about Michael Fidler’s phonostages.

The Spartan 5 is a MM/high-output only phono, but looks to be very high performing for $500. The MC Pro is a low-output MC specialty that costs more.
Interesting but above my price point unfortunately.

I own an Ultradeck and DLabs MP-7, (upgraded from MM-6). I doubt that you would be disappointed with that combination. I've also heard great things about several <$1000 phono amps including the Ultraphono and Schiit Mani (II). My money would be on the MM-6, but I honestly don't think you would be disappointed with any of the ones that you're considering.

EDIT: forgot to mention...I own a Grado Gold3 and Opus 3. I haven't had them mounted in over a year, so my specific recollection about performance would be useless. That being said, I never remember having issues or experiencing anything other than pleasant listening from either of them.
I may need to look into the mani mor to see if it gives me what I need at the lower price point. Might be smarter as I could use the difference to start upgrading cables. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I may need to look into the mani mor to see if it gives me what I need at the lower price point. Might be smarter as I could use the difference to start upgrading cables. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I wouldn’t cut corners on the phono preamp. Get as good as you can afford. IMO a phono pre is almost as important as cart. In the $200 range I think the Project Phono Box S2 and ifi Zen Phino are good options especially if you get an upgraded power supply. So figure $300 for the setup.

I wouldn’t cut corners on the phono preamp. Get as good as you can afford.
You may be right and that would push me toward the UltraPhono since I’d be getting it for $125 off. Listening to mostly jazz, I feel like I’d get a lot of use out of the mono switch which I’m not seeing on a lot of the other sub-$400 offerings.

You may be right and that would push me toward the UltraPhono since I’d be getting it for $125 off. Listening to mostly jazz, I feel like I’d get a lot of use out of the mono switch which I’m not seeing on a lot of the other sub-$400 offerings.
Lab reports on the UltraPhono suggest it would be good with MM and a bit compromised with MC. If you are sticking with high output cartridges, you should have no issues.

Looking like I’ll be leaning towards a high output Grado

The low output Grados are still MM and use the middle gain setting. I think it’s the MC setting at 60dB gain that can potentially have issues. If you’re looking at Darlington Labs you can also spec a Mono switch for not a big amount more, it’s quite a flexible product that way, has some options.

Just to echo some of the other comments, here's my 2 cents. I think you'd be happy with either the Darlington or UP, I'd lean towards the UP for a couple of reasons. Cost, this is your first pre-amp and if you can save a couple of bucks to learn more about them and the sound your looking for why not. The MoFi pre-amps are theoretically designed for the MoFi decks, so you're definitely going to get a specific sound signature being generated, that said, I've had the StudioPhono and UltraDeck running a Grado Opus3 and they're a wonderful match..........plus your gaining a headphone amp on the UltraPhono.

My last bit of advice is this, while there are a ton of reviews, opinions, even from the fine folks here, including me, I'd always take it all in with a grain of salt. It's good to hear that a piece is solid and gets the nod from the majority of it's users, but the honest reality is that we all have our own ears, preferences and gear set ups. So while all the opinions are great to have and serve as a great guide, use it as a filter to get to something that appeals/interests you by comments and try it out. Which brings me full circle, if you're wanting to "try it out" go with the deal for now and figure out what you're looking for ;)

You might be perfectly happy right out of the gate with either of these, you never know. But hanging around here, highly unlikely, lol. For the most part anyone who chimes in around here is speaking from long term experience with something and I'd give their thoughts a little more weight, but they're my people, and we've been on many interesting gear paths over the years.

Last note, you gotta try a Grado at least once. I still have my Opus3 and currently running a Sonata3, love them both.
20200518_190123.jpg Grado-Sonata3.jpg

Just to echo some of the other comments, here's my 2 cents. I think you'd be happy with either the Darlington or UP, I'd lean towards the UP for a couple of reasons. Cost, this is your first pre-amp and if you can save a couple of bucks to learn more about them and the sound your looking for why not. The MoFi pre-amps are theoretically designed for the MoFi decks, so you're definitely going to get a specific sound signature being generated, that said, I've had the StudioPhono and UltraDeck running a Grado Opus3 and they're a wonderful match..........plus your gaining a headphone amp on the UltraPhono.

My last bit of advice is this, while there are a ton of reviews, opinions, even from the fine folks here, including me, I'd always take it all in with a grain of salt. It's good to hear that a piece is solid and gets the nod from the majority of it's users, but the honest reality is that we all have our own ears, preferences and gear set ups. So while all the opinions are great to have and serve as a great guide, use it as a filter to get to something that appeals/interests you by comments and try it out. Which brings me full circle, if you're wanting to "try it out" go with the deal for now and figure out what you're looking for ;)

You might be perfectly happy right out of the gate with either of these, you never know. But hanging around here, highly unlikely, lol. For the most part anyone who chimes in around here is speaking from long term experience with something and I'd give their thoughts a little more weight, but they're my people, and we've been on many interesting gear paths over the years.

Last note, you gotta try a Grado at least once. I still have my Opus3 and currently running a Sonata3, love them both.
View attachment 192105 View attachment 192106
In addition to all the main components , add on all the interconnects , power cords ect and the room dynamics which all impact the sound . Like you note building on the experience of members is a good starting point , but only a starting point and does not replace the listeners' own ears

Back