MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Also, not to toot my own horn, but I am selling an UltraDeck at a pretty decent price (I think?).
Is there a reason beyond wonder lust? I have noticed a couple of members who have appeared to move on to other TT. For me this is likely my last analog system as when I downsize space will become an issue . May just stream and use headphones as my wife is always telling me to turn it down and that's when the system is in the basement . Funny how that goes as when I ask her for something she can be hard of hearing , but when I play the system its the opposite

Interesting. What are you replacing it with?
Is there a reason beyond wonder lust? I have noticed a couple of members who have appeared to move on to other TT. For me this is likely my last analog system as when I downsize space will become an issue . May just stream and use headphones as my wife is always telling me to turn it down and that's when the system is in the basement . Funny how that goes as when I ask her for something she can be hard of hearing , but when I play the system its the opposite
It’s quite literally just my urge to tinker. I had the opportunity to pick up a Schiit Sol, which is a discontinued, weird, poorly supported, less refined, less livable table, but one I had always been interested in messing around with. Since I don’t have the space to keep both, I am hoping to send the MoFi to a good home. The Sol is a tinkerer’s dream, and, for the moment, I like that about it.

But I have no complaints about the UltraDeck. It looks good and sounds awesome.

Last edited:
It’s quite literally just my urge to tinker. I had the opportunity to pick up a Schiit Sol, which is a discontinued, weird, poorly supported, less refined, less livable table, but one I had always been interested in messing around with. Since I don’t have the space to keep both, I am hoping to send the MoFi to a good home. The Sol is a tinkerer’s dream, and, for the moment, I like that about it.

But I have no complaints about the UltraDeck. It looks good and sounds awesome.
I understand that urge to tinker. It’s part of why I’m looking to upgrade now. My current DC Evo w/ Moonstone cart is working great and sounds good. I recently auditioned some preamps and decided to keep my current Project Phono Box S2 over the Tube Box S2 and ifi Zen Phono. The deciding factor was the Power Box S3 I picked up. The sound improvement to the Evo and the S2 from the power supply upgrade are very noticeable. Lower noise floor and records are more dynamic sounding.

I started looking at other Evo upgrades, but when I started doing the math I started looking at higher end TTs.

At this point I’m mostly curious to hear how other TTs sound next to the Evo. The MoFi decks are compelling as are the Rega 6/8 and the Project X2, X8 and Classic Evo.

I understand that urge to tinker. It’s part of why I’m looking to upgrade now. My current DC Evo w/ Moonstone cart is working great and sounds good. I recently auditioned some preamps and decided to keep my current Project Phono Box S2 over the Tube Box S2 and ifi Zen Phono. The deciding factor was the Power Box S3 I picked up. The sound improvement to the Evo and the S2 from the power supply upgrade are very noticeable. Lower noise floor and records are more dynamic sounding.

I started looking at other Evo upgrades, but when I started doing the math I started looking at higher end TTs.

At this point I’m mostly curious to hear how other TTs sound next to the Evo. The MoFi decks are compelling as are the Rega 6/8 and the Project X2, X8 and Classic Evo.
Well, the MoFi is a great table. I think the MasterTracker is a fine pack-in, but you can do better. I personally enjoyed the SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star and the SAE 1000LT on mine very much. And absolutely no pressure or offense taken if you go some other direction, I just wanted you to know mine's available.

At the very least, I think the longer tonearm on the MoFi will give you reduced tracking error over the Pro-Jects.

Well, the MoFi is a great table. I think the MasterTracker is a fine pack-in, but you can do better. I personally enjoyed the SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star and the SAE 1000LT on mine very much. And absolutely no pressure or offense taken if you go some other direction, I just wanted you to know mine's available.

At the very least, I think the longer tonearm on the MoFi will give you reduced tracking error over the Pro-Jects.
What did you do with your Zephyr? Is it on the Sol?

Has anyone used an Anti Static Brush like this one on their UltraDeck? I'm just wondering where I would place it since the belt drive is located where I would normally think to. Thank you.

06a93bf0-f9cf-49f4-92b2-8aab71bae5f1.__CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg
I’ve also been curious about this as I have one but not sure where to place it on my studiodeck. Making my way through the thread now to see if you got any feedback on this.

Before I got my SD, I was all in with Dual turntables. I’ve had at least a dozen over the years. I completely rebuilt a 721 and that was daily driver. Any diva talk go hand in hand with Duals. Over engineered, insane tolerances, but I still love them. I’ve had multiple issues with my SD. I was an early adopter of crashing the assembly while adjusting VTA, Mofi took care of it. Now the lifter is a bit lame. When it’s spinning, I love the music it makes, so it’s a fair trade off for me.
I have a Dual 1246. I got it about 18 years ago. It arrived in an oversized box without any padding. It was seriously beat up, and with a lot of work, I got it playing nicely. After a time, too many things were not working anymore, and it was becoming a pain in the toosh. So that is when I got the StudioDeck. Even though there have been little issues (Kinderkrankheiten), I am indeed very pleased.
FYI on the Ultradeck future. I received an email today from a reputable online retailer on questions I had about the Ultradeck. The email said that the MoFi decks are being refreshed in the spring of 2024 and while there are still some UltraDecks in inventory he can’t get anymore, but he still has some StudioDecks.

The question is do I get an UltraDeck now or wait and see what’s new and shiny in 2024.
I suppose the dealer didn't reveal more. A refresh or a major change. Hmm...I am considering getting an UltraDeck as my main player and keeping the StudioDeck as a second player. What to do? Decisions, decisions.

I have a Dual 1246. I got it about 18 years ago. It arrived in an oversized box without any padding. It was seriously beat up, and with a lot of work, I got it playing nicely. After a time, too many things were not working anymore, and it was becoming a pain in the toosh. So that is when I got the StudioDeck. Even though there have been little issues (Kinderkrankheiten), I am indeed very pleased.

I suppose the dealer didn't reveal more. A refresh or a major change. Hmm...I am considering getting an UltraDeck as my main player and keeping the StudioDeck as a second player. What to do? Decisions, decisions.
I’d certainly expect the refreshed decks to be modestly better and modestly more expensive, but not dramatically different.

MoFi likely wants to keep similar price points in the market, but cannot keep charging more for a turntable that has not changed at all.

I’d certainly expect the refreshed decks to be modestly better and modestly more expensive, but not dramatically different.

MoFi likely wants to keep similar price points in the market, but cannot keep charging more for a turntable that has not changed at all.

If was them I might also do convenience upgrades like speed change, that should have been on it from the start. Possibly also tighten up the design and QC to eliminate some of the recurring issues we’ve seen through this thread and maybe a minor redesign to look a bit more like the silly one.

Hello gang. Hope you all had a great holiday season. Been away for awhile. SD is setup with a spare om20 as the Opus3 I was hoping for didn’t make it into Santa’s sleigh (brother-in-law went off the list and went with a giant bluetooth speaker instead🤦🏻‍♂️). Anyway, I haven‘t spun it yet as we also welcomed a new 1yo dog to the family so I’ve been a little distracted. I keep missing out on open box deals and MusicDirect additional open box discounts so I figure I better ask before the deals I see on ther now are gone.

Is the UltraPhono worth it for $375? I currently don‘t have a pre and had always just ran my pioneer sa9100. Now that’s replaced with a Marantz pm6007. I do have a pair of Grado headphones that may benefit from the UltraPhono but don’t know. I also see a StudioTracker on MD for $150. Is this worthwhile? I have my shure v15 iii but it could probably use a new stylus. For what it would cost to retip, is the ST going to be a good get for me or should I stick to my original idea of an Opus3 (or possibly Platinum3/Sonata3)?

If these topics have been addressed previously, I apologize. Still working my way through the thread with about 30 pages to go.

No offense taken. I ordered an open box UltraDeck w/ MasterTracker from Music Direct for $2400.

This price leave me room to pick up a phono preamp. Currently using a Project Phono Box S2.

Not much more detail on model refresh. Spring will tell.

Back