MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

These tables do seem to have their little issues don't they, like little Divas. My lifter also started to leak oil after about a year. I cleaned it up, and ignore it. The arm still sinks down nicely, and as long as that works I am good.

These tables do seem to have their little issues don't they, like little Divas. My lifter also started to leak oil after about a year. I cleaned it up, and ignore it. The arm still sinks down nicely, and as long as that works I am good.
Your right on that as my first deck had a lot of problems and was returned to the dealer and the ultradeck replacement had a problem with the start button which I fixed with a replacement part . It was a known problem . So far no oil under lifter .

Before I got my SD, I was all in with Dual turntables. I’ve had at least a dozen over the years. I completely rebuilt a 721 and that was daily driver. Any diva talk go hand in hand with Duals. Over engineered, insane tolerances, but I still love them. I’ve had multiple issues with my SD. I was an early adopter of crashing the assembly while adjusting VTA, Mofi took care of it. Now the lifter is a bit lame. When it’s spinning, I love the music it makes, so it’s a fair trade off for me.

Before I got my SD, I was all in with Dual turntables. I’ve had at least a dozen over the years. I completely rebuilt a 721 and that was daily driver. Any diva talk go hand in hand with Duals. Over engineered, insane tolerances, but I still love them. I’ve had multiple issues with my SD. I was an early adopter of crashing the assembly while adjusting VTA, Mofi took care of it. Now the lifter is a bit lame. When it’s spinning, I love the music it makes, so it’s a fair trade off for me.
I had a Dual 505-2 and its in the workshop system now . Your description suits my old Dual to a T . In the past had a local person who was good at maintaining it and I know all the spots that need lubrication when it gets grumpy . In Southwest Ontario there is someone who does a basic maintenance on the 505-2 including belts , lubrication ect and over a year ago he was charging $200 and had a waiting list of over a year . Just shows you that they keep chugging along . Dont expect the Ultradeck to have the same lifespan.

I’m considering an UltraDeck purchase, but can’t find any documented warranty info for the TT on the MoFi site. Is anyone aware of the warranty terms for the TT or know where I can find that info?

One thing I can say about the Ultradeck is that it’s shown me that records that I’d cleaned on my Spin Clean need to have another good, deep clean on my Squeaky Clean.

New to the forum and saw a reference to a Sqeaky Clean. I performed some Google Foo saw it was the solution I’d been looking for and placed my order. Thanks!

New to the forum and saw a reference to a Sqeaky Clean. I performed some Google Foo saw it was the solution I’d been looking for and placed my order. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum , good way to start the new year . I started with the spin clean some years ago and it worked fine for my old TT. I was concerned with leaving cleaning fluid on the record .When I purchased the Ultradeck I switched to the squeaky clean which is made here in Ontario Canada . I re-cleaned everything but was a bit concerned with the use of alcohol in the recommended formula. So after some research I also purchased a product called.Tergikleen . TergiKleen® is a proprietary blended Tergitol formula.I have attached a link . On new records and used vinyl I purchase I first clean with the alcohol/Ilfotol mix then follow up with the Tergikleen product just to be sure . Lots of various cleaning products out there so do your research and go from there . I am sure other members have there favorite product and will chime in .

I find with the Mastertracker cart with the micro line stylus , no matter how much I clean , on the first play it will dig out stuff from the grooves . After the first play I have a lot less gunk . I have a 40x led magnifier that I check the stylus with and clean with the brush and MOFI LP#9 stylus cleaner once in a while . Winters here can be dry and static cling can be an issue also .

It sounds like you have purchased the Ultradeck , if yes what Cart . do you have and let us know how it goes .

TergiKleen

Welcome to the forum , good way to start the new year . I started with the spin clean some years ago and it worked fine for my old TT. I was concerned with leaving cleaning fluid on the record .When I purchased the Ultradeck I switched to the squeaky clean which is made here in Ontario Canada . I re-cleaned everything but was a bit concerned with the use of alcohol in the recommended formula. So after some research I also purchased a product called.Tergikleen . TergiKleen® is a proprietary blended Tergitol formula.I have attached a link . On new records and used vinyl I purchase I first clean with the alcohol/Ilfotol mix then follow up with the Tergikleen product just to be sure . Lots of various cleaning products out there so do your research and go from there . I am sure other members have there favorite product and will chime in .

I find with the Mastertracker cart with the micro line stylus , no matter how much I clean , on the first play it will dig out stuff from the grooves . After the first play I have a lot less gunk . I have a 40x led magnifier that I check the stylus with and clean with the brush and MOFI LP#9 stylus cleaner once in a while . Winters here can be dry and static cling can be an issue also .

It sounds like you have purchased the Ultradeck , if yes what Cart . do you have and let us know how it goes .

TergiKleen
Thanks for the record fluid cleaning tips.

I haven’t purchased the Ultradeck yet. Still in research mode, but leaning that way. I have been using a DC Evo for the last 3 years it was my first TT in 35 years. It’s served me well and I’m enjoying listening to and collecting records again. I’ve basically been rebuilding the collection my father had and learned about music from when I was a kid. I’ll save the story for how that collection was lost for another post.

In addition to the Ultradeck I’m also considering the following:
  • StudioDeck - discount price makes it appealing.
  • Rega P6
  • Project X8, Classic Evo, X2B
  • Technic sl1200GR/2
There are probably no bad options here. I’m glad I found this forum as there is not a lot of info on the MoFi TTs out there and they don’t have 30+ years of history making TTs to hang their hat on. I was concerned about long term reliability and the motor hum I keep reading about. Is the discounted StudioDeck a signal that a refresh is pending? Or, is MoFi getting out of the TT game?

I have a few years of posts to read through, but my initial look and other anecdotal feedback I’ve seen indicates that people really enjoy the MoFi TTs.

I like the idea of buying gear made in the USA, but I’m not going to pay a premium for inferior equipment. My current setup contains gear made in Europe, China and the US.

Last edited:

I haven’t purchased the Ultradeck yet. Still in research mode, but leaning that way. I have been using a DC Evo for the last 3 years it was my first TT in 35 years. It’s served me well and I’m enjoying listening to and collecting records again. I’ve basically been rebuilding the collection my father had and learned about music from when I was a kid. I’ll save the story for how that collection was lost for another post.

I’m addition to the Ultradeck I’m also considering the following:
  • Rega P6
  • Technic sl1200GR/2
There are probably no bad options here. I’m glad I found this forum as there is not a lot of info on the MoFi TTs out there and they don’t have 30+ years of history making TTs to hang their hat on. I was concerned about long term reliability and the motor hum I keep reading about. Is the discounted StudioDeck a signal that a refresh is pending? Or, is MoFi getting out of the TT game?

I have a few years of posts to read through, but my initial look and other anecdotal feedback I’ve seen indicates that people really enjoy the MoFi TTs.

I like the idea of buying gear made in the USA, but I’m not going to pay a premium for inferior equipment. My current setup contains gear made in Europe, China and the US.
I briefly had the studioDeck and enjoyed it before upgrading to the Ultradeck . Not a quality issue as the deck had a small broken part not impacting sound that likely occurred at the dealer end as it was a demo..I dont think MOFI are getting out of TT as they just came out with a high-end table . They may be just upscaling there line . It does make the price point of the studiodeck interesting .

In addition to the Ultradeck I’m also considering the following:
  • Rega P6
  • Technic sl1200GR/2

Welcome. You will find other Technics users on that forum, some of whom used to own MoFi decks. If you are looking for US made products, consider VPI which also has a forum. I have a VPI Traveler and I consider it to be very well constructed. Lots of great choices out there.

TergiKleen
I used a Record Doctor vacuum for a while and was satisfied with it until I switched from an elliptical stylus to a Shibata stylus. The Shibata would dig dirt out of the grooves that the elliptical missed.

Moved to a Humminguru ultrasonic and have never since seen a dirty stylus after cleaning a record. Love the Humminguru. We have another forum for it.

I used a Record Doctor vacuum for a while and was satisfied with it until I switched from an elliptical stylus to a Shibata stylus. The Shibata would dig dirt out of the grooves that the elliptical missed.

Moved to a Humminguru ultrasonic and have never since seen a dirty stylus after cleaning a record. Love the Humminguru. We have another forum for it.
Yes , but I have two record cleaners at this point so not sure i want another to add a third , but have looked at the Humminguru a couple of times . So at this point the stylus will continue to did a bit of grunge out of the grooves on the used records .

FYI on the Ultradeck future. I received an email today from a reputable online retailer on questions I had about the Ultradeck. The email said that the MoFi decks are being refreshed in the spring of 2024 and while there are still some UltraDecks in inventory he can’t get anymore, but he still has some StudioDecks.

The question is do I get an UltraDeck now or wait and see what’s new and shiny in 2024.

FYI on the Ultradeck future. I received an email today from a reputable online retailer on questions I had about the Ultradeck. The email said that the MoFi decks are being refreshed in the spring of 2024 and while there are still some UltraDecks in inventory he can’t get anymore, but he still has some StudioDecks.

The question is do I get an UltraDeck now or wait and see what’s new and shiny in 2024.
That’s an interesting situation to be in. Of course, who knows what the pricing will be on the refreshed models. That will make a difference.

I was the first here with an Ultradeck and ran it for over 4 years without issue. I’ve moved to a Technics G. I also auditioned a GR. The Ultradeck sounds far superior to the GR- no contest. The G sounds like a slightly better Ultradeck- very similar. I hope this helps.

The G is on my radar, likely making that jump sometime in the near future. However, I’m not in the loop if G2 is in the works like the GR2.

I get the impression from the GR2 blurb that the new motor programming and power supply is to be rolled out across their lines. How soon or which model is next is anybody’s guess.

Also, not to toot my own horn, but I am selling an UltraDeck at a pretty decent price (I think?).

That’s an interesting situation to be in. Of course, who knows what the pricing will be on the refreshed models. That will make a difference.

I was the first here with an Ultradeck and ran it for over 4 years without issue. I’ve moved to a Technics G. I also auditioned a GR. The Ultradeck sounds far superior to the GR- no contest. The G sounds like a slightly better Ultradeck- very similar. I hope this helps.
Thanks for that info. The G is a bit out of my price range at the moment. Good to know how it compares to an UltraDeck.

The GR2 has popped up in my radar, but I haven’t seen any reviews on how it sounds relative to the GR or G.

Back