MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

OP doesn’t specifically mention re-greasing. Sounds like that could be the issue?
It should not be, but cannot rule it out just yet. The bearing thrust plate should be Teflon, which should not cause a scraping sound, even when dry. That’s why I pointed to contact between the bearing sleeve (aka bushing) and the shaft.

But since we are all taking a shot a bit in the dark, anything’s possible.

I've listened to your video and quickly assumed that the motor bearning was bad, but it seems that you've already eliminated that as an issue. So at the risk of sounding preachy and imperious, let me pass on some advice based on personal experience.

Please ensure that you are meticulously and thorough in removing any of the old grease before applying new grease. Your efforts should include making sure that the platter sleeve, (hole), and the inverted bearing shaft are absolutely pristine. Seriously, the tolerances between the shaft and sleeve are so tight that even the smallest bit of debris can ruin your day. Also, when applying new grease, place a very, VERY small dab on the tip of the shaft. That's it. More is never better. Don't put grease anywhere else, (ask me how I know this).

Were I in your shoes, while waiting for new grease, I'd clean the shaft and sleeve to a mirror shine and thoroughly examine all the sufaces for any scoring, (scratches). Contaminated grease can permanently ruin the mating surfaces at the bearing tip and require replacement or repolishing. (Not an endeavor I would venture into lightly). Best wishes.

Update on the cue lever issue, there is no update. Mofi hasn’t returned my email, likely in the “that’s a 2024 issue” pile. I plan to follow up with them after the new year. Local dealer was no help on info, seemed like a brush off. In any event, I can still use the cue lever, I just need to be extra slow and careful.
Seems I'm having this same issue. I wiped my finger under the cueing mechanism and it comes away with a little bit of viscous fluid on it. I typically don't just drop the lever anyway so I've no idea how long this has been going on. Purchased in March of 2021.

@rrmies great to hear you solved the issue. I've found that my StudioDeck is very sensitive to spindle lubrication. Needs a good dab on top, and I find I have to do it about every 9 months or so. I also have mine in a converted garage that I don't climate control when I'm not in it, so it can get as low as 50 in the winter or high 70's in the summer, I'm sure that doesn't help with either the spindle or the belt!

Seems I'm having this same issue. I wiped my finger under the cueing mechanism and it comes away with a little bit of viscous fluid on it. I typically don't just drop the lever anyway so I've no idea how long this has been going on. Purchased in March of 2021.
Contacted MoFi and a new lift mechanism is on the way. I just have to swap it out.

@rrmies great to hear you solved the issue. I've found that my StudioDeck is very sensitive to spindle lubrication. Needs a good dab on top, and I find I have to do it about every 9 months or so. I also have mine in a converted garage that I don't climate control when I'm not in it, so it can get as low as 50 in the winter or high 70's in the summer, I'm sure that doesn't help with either the spindle or the belt!
I’m really uncertain that the MoFi decks actually have a good platter bearing design. The pictures I see are of a bearing shaft that is machined as one piece. Most other high-end decks with inverted bearings use a two piece design with a highly-polished, hardened SS or ceramic ball bearing.

Having a sapphire thrust plate in the Utradeck does not really overcome the machining limitations of the bearing contact surface. With the Teflon thrust plate in the StudioDeck, there should not be scraping noises and seizing when lubrication is low - there should just be more friction in spinning. Reports of issues are widespread.

It just feels like MoFi cut corners in this design to save a few dollars that cause headaches for many customers.

I’m really uncertain that the MoFi decks actually have a good platter bearing design. The pictures I see are of a bearing shaft that is machined as one piece. Most other high-end decks with inverted bearings use a two piece design with a highly-polished, hardened SS or ceramic ball bearing.

Having a sapphire thrust plate in the Utradeck does not really overcome the machining limitations of the bearing contact surface. With the Teflon thrust plate in the StudioDeck, there should not be scraping noises and seizing when lubrication is low - there should just be more friction in spinning. Reports of issues are widespread.

It just feels like MoFi cut corners in this design to save a few dollars that cause headaches for many customers.
I've had thoughts along these lines as well, especially after hearing the issue pop up again and again.

Not ideal, but honestly I like this way better than shipping off my who deck and having them do it.
When i first received my Ultradeck I had a problem with the off/on yellow button . It appear to be a design flaw and they gave me the option of returning or replacing the button myself . I went with the latter and in due time the button and instructions showed up . Detailed instructions , but had to turn the unit upside down to remove bottom plates etc . All went well , but you have to be careful in replacing parts to follow instructions carefully and support the arm as and if required .

Let us know how it goes .

Contacted MoFi and a new lift mechanism is on the way. I just have to swap it out.
Could you post some pics when you get the new part? Im curious if the lifter is at all serviceable, more specifically, does it look as if there’s a way to add fluid to the mechanism. Then again, even if it is serviceable, I wonder what type of damping fluid is even in there.

Could you post some pics when you get the new part? Im curious if the lifter is at all serviceable, more specifically, does it look as if there’s a way to add fluid to the mechanism. Then again, even if it is serviceable, I wonder what type of damping fluid is even in there.
I will. I suspect it is NOT serviceable. I actually asked that question but didn't get a response, just that they'd replace the lifter mechanism under warranty. The current one is apparently "oozing" liquid out the bottom so when I take it off I'll give a look to see if perhaps it's a seam that isn't supposed to "separate" rather than something with seal that failed - if you get what I'm saying. Anyway, I'll take pics.

I will. I suspect it is NOT serviceable. I actually asked that question but didn't get a response, just that they'd replace the lifter mechanism under warranty. The current one is apparently "oozing" liquid out the bottom so when I take it off I'll give a look to see if perhaps it's a seam that isn't supposed to "separate" rather than something with seal that failed - if you get what I'm saying. Anyway, I'll take pics.
I’d wager that most of the lifters in the industry all come from one manufacturer.

Back