MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Alright, fun question.

Where do y’all level your table from? Bubble level on the platter or plinth? I
Good question. If one is out of level I would assume they both are? If one is and one isn’t is something wrong?

I don’t have your answer I’m genuinely curious too.

I mean don't get me wrong, if your plinth is way off and your platter is okay then you know, there's probably an issue with your spindle mount... But if the plinth is a little off but the platter is level, I think that's what really matters. I'll go one further and say that I specifically use the bubble level across the arc of the tonearm from the run in to the run out. And I try to make sure that its at it's most level towards the run out, where the album is naturally harder to track. If that arc is level then I don't worry too much about fine tuning the rest of it, because that's the location that really matters, where the stylus hits the groove across the length of the record.

I mean don't get me wrong, if your plinth is way off and your platter is okay then you know, there's probably an issue with your spindle mount... But if the plinth is a little off but the platter is level, I think that's what really matters. I'll go one further and say that I specifically use the bubble level across the arc of the tonearm from the run in to the run out. And I try to make sure that its at it's most level towards the run out, where the album is naturally harder to track. If that arc is level then I don't worry too much about fine tuning the rest of it, because that's the location that really matters, where the stylus hits the groove across the length of the record.
I just did the same thing and noticed some pretty immediate reduction in IGD, it’s interesting though cause all turntable set ups guides I’ve gone through say level on the plinth which doesn’t make much sense cause on the platter I’ve always found it to be slightly off by that measure. Just reversed that so the platter is as even through out as possible and the plinth is a little off but still within the little black center bubble

I just did the same thing and noticed some pretty immediate reduction in IGD, it’s interesting though cause all turntable set ups guides I’ve gone through say level on the plinth which doesn’t make much sense cause on the platter I’ve always found it to be slightly off by that measure. Just reversed that so the platter is as even through out as possible and the plinth is a little off but still within the little black center bubble
I would imagine that's because most TT manufacturers don't want to suggest that their plinth and platters might not both be completely level. But I mean, I would guess in most cases until you reach pretty high end tables, they're likely to be a little off...

Alright, fun question.

Where do y’all level your table from? Bubble level on the platter or plinth? I
I've used a bubble 'button" level and a bubble app, but I've found a small 6-9" level works best for me. Lay it across the platter going left to right, level, turn the platter so the level is pointing front to back, level again. adjust as needed going back and forth. Since you can't really place the button level dead center on the plinth, and placing it on top of a TT weight or clamp for instance, may reflect imperfections in the weight itself, it seemed easier and more accurate to go with a 9" level.

For some reason it going across the majority of the platter makes me feel more confident of the results, lol

Just my method :)

1648031121056.png

I've used a bubble 'button" level and a bubble app, but I've found a small 6-9" level works best for me. Lay it across the platter going left to right, level, turn the platter so the level is pointing front to back, level again. adjust as needed going back and forth. Since you can't really place the button level dead center on the plinth, and placing it on top of a TT weight or clamp for instance, may reflect imperfections in the weight itself, it seemed easier and more accurate to go with a 9" level.

For some reason it going across the majority of the platter makes me feel more confident of the results, lol

Just my method :)
I use this little crosscheck bubble level on my platter. It's easier for me to use than a 6" level because I can check for "level-ness" when the platter is turning. $4 at my local hardware store, $10 for the "VPI" version from Music Direct! 😆

1648055745907.png

Last edited:
I use this little crosscheck bubble level on my platter. It's easier for me to use than a 6" level because I can check for "level-ness" when the platter is turning. $4 at my local hardware store, $10 for the "VPI" version from Music Direct! 😆

View attachment 133233
I have this one, $6
Amazon product ASIN B001OMGKT8It's red and made by Swanson
ron.gif

Back