MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Hmm, I can’t help but think this looks out of position
View attachment 129509
View attachment 129510
C, I sent you John Grado's email address. The cantileaver looks ok as HFG said. I would get his opinion on that off centered wood. He "may" recommend you exchange it at Upscale or may send you a replacement. Not sure.

Welcome to maddening stage of the hobby! :ROFLMAO:

As far as interconnects go, there are two schools of thoughts. Go with something neutral, inexpensive, and low capacitance like the Blue Jeans LC-1. Available on Amz @ $47 with free one day prime ship or from there website. Many use them here. Some like to invest in costlier cables. The best way to do this IMO is "borrow" several cables to try/demo in your system from your local dealers. This way you see which brand sounds best in your system if at all and or compare them to the $50 Blue Jeans.

Last edited:
I've seen lots of recommendations for cartridges on the site, but relatively few discussions about how cartridge suspension compliance should factor into the decision. Do many of you take compliance and tonearm mass seriously as a variable to consider when selecting a new cartridge?

I've seen lots of recommendations for cartridges on the site, but relatively few discussions about how cartridge suspension compliance should factor into the decision. Do many of you take compliance and tonearm mass seriously as a variable to consider when selecting a new cartridge?

I used to. With the MoFi having a high mass arm it should work best with low compliance cartridges. But MoFi’s own cartridges aren’t low compliance. Neither are Grados, but they both work well. That said, I wouldn’t go any more compliant.

I have tried to, but right off the bat the manufacturers compliance numbers are not always comparable. At the moment I have settled on this reference.

Absolutely SPOOKY experience listening to Nat King Cole's - The Very Thought of You AP pressing. Instant goosebumps, felt like the ghost of Nat King Cole took up residence in my living room for a private show. Made me kind of emotional if I'm being honest lol.

Highly recommend picking it up for anyone who needs an end-game demo record: Nat King Cole-The Very Thought Of You-45 RPM Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds
Grabbed this on your recommendation and it arrived today. You weren’t kidding! Great sounding album!! Thanks! 411A9E07-3B53-47FC-A870-038FDB083429.jpeg

Absolutely SPOOKY experience listening to Nat King Cole's - The Very Thought of You AP pressing. Instant goosebumps, felt like the ghost of Nat King Cole took up residence in my living room for a private show. Made me kind of emotional if I'm being honest lol.

Highly recommend picking it up for anyone who needs an end-game demo record: Nat King Cole-The Very Thought Of You-45 RPM Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds
Grabbed this on your recommendation and it arrived today. You weren’t kidding! Great sounding album!! Thanks! View attachment 129733
only wish there was a 33. ugghh

only wish there was a 33. ugghh
That’s the boat I’m in. I don’t find myself listening to 45s as much and for $60 or whatever the price is, there are too many records I want! There’s a DCC of this one too which is tempting but haven’t seen a decent deal on it lately.

I got the high res download of the AP Nat King Cole Story so that gets a decent amount of listening from me. It’s really great

That’s the boat I’m in. I don’t find myself listening to 45s as much and for $60 or whatever the price is, there are too many records I want! There’s a DCC of this one too which is tempting but haven’t seen a decent deal on it lately.

I got the high res download of the AP Nat King Cole Story so that gets a decent amount of listening from me. It’s really great
Yes, I have that one to Mike, if your not a digital snob it's great as well. Also have the DCC of Very Thought Of you, it is good although a 33lp would be nice.

Interesting response from the people at Upscale, particularly that last part. Just sharing for reference, seems they’re recommending the Grado needs at least 50 hours of burn in before you should start seriously evaluating the sound. Also, the bit around midranges getting bumped during the break in period sounds to me like it could be what I’m experiencing. EB1CD65B-638D-4C51-BBEA-470D3393450B.jpeg

Interesting response from the people at Upscale, particularly that last part. Just sharing for reference, seems they’re recommending the Grado needs at least 50 hours of burn in before you should start seriously evaluating the sound. Also, the bit around midranges getting bumped during the break in period sounds to me like it could be what I’m experiencing. View attachment 129757
Grados are not “flat response” cartridges. And although they sound different from many others, I wouldn’t call them midrange forward, regardless of what a frequency response graph may indicate.

I think your issue is break in. If not, it’s the Grado house sound that’s not to your liking. I’m confident that Upscale did an excellent setup.

Interesting response from the people at Upscale, particularly that last part. Just sharing for reference, seems they’re recommending the Grado needs at least 50 hours of burn in before you should start seriously evaluating the sound. Also, the bit around midranges getting bumped during the break in period sounds to me like it could be what I’m experiencing. View attachment 129757
get 50 in and we can go from there. In the meantime send those pics to John G and see what he says, he makes em! before that his dad made em.

Grados are not “flat response” cartridges. And although they sound different from many others, I wouldn’t call them midrange forward, regardless of what a frequency response graph may indicate.

I think your issue is break in. If not, it’s the Grado house sound that’s not to your liking. I’m confident that Upscale did an excellent setup.
get 50 in and we can go from there. In the meantime send those pics to John G and see what he says, he makes em! before that his dad made em.

Fwiw, I sent an email to Upscale back when I originally posted here, they just responded today. The system has been sounding incrementally better each and every day, currently listening to my Bill Evans - Explorations 80’s OJC press right now and it sounds gloriouuuuus. Vocal performances have been smoothing out drastically as well, I’m also surprised to say that the pair of interconnects I upgraded to helped take an edge off somewhere. Was very subtle but noticeable. I’m well on my way to audiophile La La Land.

I'm thinking this is it. It's either going to win you over at some point, or you simply don't actually like the frequency spray of the cart. You're coming from the ortofon shaibata, right? It may just be an adjustment to you ears.

Also, equipment isn't always static good vs bad. something really good mixed with other really good things just yields different results sometimes.

Fwiw, I sent an email to Upscale back when I originally posted here, they just responded today. The system has been sounding incrementally better each and every day, currently listening to my Bill Evans - Explorations 80’s OJC press right now and it sounds gloriouuuuus. Vocal performances have been smoothing out drastically as well, I’m also surprised to say that the pair of interconnects I upgraded to helped take an edge off somewhere. Was very subtle but noticeable. I’m well on my way to audiophile La La Land.
I've never been an expensive cables guy, but was really surprised at the difference from swapping out the MoFi interconnects. it's not a night and day difference, but definitely noticed it right away. also i'm still not an expensive cables guy since i think there are diminishing returns after a certain point, but those blue jeans cables (interconnects + speaker cable) or signal audio interconnects are all good investments.

it's also been cool to have my setup burn in. those lintons are sounding better every day it seems.

I'm thinking this is it. It's either going to win you over at some point, or you simply don't actually like the frequency spray of the cart. You're coming from the ortofon shaibata, right? It may just be an adjustment to you ears.

Also, equipment isn't always static good vs bad. something really good mixed with other really good things just yields different results sometimes.
Likely a combination of things we have spoke about, breakin, ratty cables, Christian's Anti skate was not sitting right perhaps from shipping, and hearing adjustment.

btw C @Ghost , what interconnect did you switch to ?

Back