MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Sounds like a set up issue. I will say that the one time I was dealing with an issue like that it was because my VTF was too light, and it was compounded by the fact that my digital gauge had gotten messed up so it wasn’t calibrated correctly. Check your VTF and try it at the high end (1.9 it appears for the Opus).

Hope you get it figured out.

Sounds like a set up issue. I will say that the one time I was dealing with an issue like that it was because my VTF was too light, and it was compounded by the fact that my digital gauge had gotten messed up so it wasn’t calibrated correctly. Check your VTF and try it at the high end (1.9 it appears for the Opus).

Agree with VTF on the Opus. I actually ran mine at 2.0 and it sounded better there for me.

Yeah, what you’re describing sounds like distortion. I agree you should try a higher VTF.
Just echoing here - I’m continually shocked at what minuscule VTF adjustments can yield. I’ve most always found that leaning toward the high side of tracking range gives me what I want, sounds like that’s the consensus!

@Ghost agree with above, VTA as well, make sure the Grado looks at least near level/even with the vinyl when playing and not tilted forward.You may need to have have Upscale recheck alignment although they have a good repuation for setups. Something "could" of been knocked off in transport. There is always a "chance" the Grado is defective, it can happen.

I haven’t heard any of my jazz albums sound as good as they sound on the MoFi. This Jazz Connection album is killer! The percussion hits in the backgrounds are so detailed. Little stick hits are jumping out. Amazing. 1CFB7D1B-FFFC-42B5-86ED-DC61E9760C4F.jpeg

I haven’t heard any of my jazz albums sound as good as they sound on the MoFi. This Jazz Connection album is killer! The percussion hits in the backgrounds are so detailed. Little stick hits are jumping out. Amazing. View attachment 129471
Confirmed, the PrecisionDeck is a stunner! Good thing I don’t have anywhere near the budget for it right now or you know I’d have to see if that swamp ash top makes a difference 😂

@Ghost agree with above, VTA as well, make sure the Grado looks at least near level/even with the vinyl when playing and not tilted forward.You may need to have have Upscale recheck alignment although they have a good repuation for setups. Something "could" of been knocked off in transport. There is always a "chance" the Grado is defective, it can happen.
Appreciate the input, I will give this a whirl this morning! I noticed there’s also a good deal of IGD which could echo this being a VTA issue. I’ll check the tilt as well Jim.

You all rock, thankful for y’all.

Gah, no! Trust your ears. You didn't like the SD, you didn't like the UD, you know how this story ends.
Appreciate that, Dan! Hahaha. Thankfully it’s priced in a place where it isn’t a possibility. It’s like that amazing donut place that’s juuuust far enough away from your home.

You also have to understand, I’ve probably owned like one of every guitar before I figured out what I wanted to live with for the long term.

Surprisingly, the wheeling and dealing is easier in the instrument world. Secondhand turntables can be tricky, as we know.

Appreciate that, Dan! Hahaha. Thankfully it’s priced in a place where it isn’t a possibility. It’s like that amazing donut place that’s juuuust far enough away from your home.

You also have to understand, I’ve probably owned like one of every guitar before I figured out what I wanted to live with for the long term.

Surprisingly, the wheeling and dealing is easier in the instrument world. Secondhand turntables can be tricky, as we know.
Um, Hayes, this ain't no donut. But yeah, the higher up the ladder, the smaller the resale market.

I haven’t heard any of my jazz albums sound as good as they sound on the MoFi. This Jazz Connection album is killer! The percussion hits in the backgrounds are so detailed. Little stick hits are jumping out. Amazing. View attachment 129471
This was the experience you should have had the first time around. 😎

Looks like the cantilever is coming out of the center of the assembly. The cut out in the wood is off, but that shouldn’t affect anything.
I’ll take your word for it! I’m tossing this up to shitty interconnects, all my interconnects spare the cables running from speakers to the NAD are either what was sent by MoFi or cheap 10-15 dollar Amazon cables lol.

It’s so perplexing how everything except for the peak in vocal sequences can sound so good! Okay ignore me y’all, I’m just driving myself nuts

I’ll take your word for it! I’m tossing this up to shitty interconnects, all my interconnects spare the cables running from speakers to the NAD are either what was sent by MoFi or cheap 10-15 dollar Amazon cables lol.

It’s so perplexing how everything except for the peak in vocal sequences can sound so good! Okay ignore me y’all, I’m just driving myself nuts
My best advice right now, just sit back and spin music. After 50 hours or so on the cart maybe start listening a little more critically. ;)

-pauses-
-takes off magnifying goggles-
-pushes aside USB microscope-
-places lucite VTA chart back into padded case-
-removes GeoDisc-
-slides VTF scale onto shelf-
-places stylus brush back into box-
-turns off RCM-
-gently slips back into straitjacket-
-giggles-
-walks into traffic-

Back