MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

I have an old record that’s criminally floppy and has a massive warp. I only keep it because it’s of family members performing. It plays flawlessly on
I’ve had 2 records that have had significant warps and they’ve touched the needle on the rotation. I don’t even need to drop the lever. It’s like the space between the needle and the platter are too small.

I’ve had 2 records that have had significant warps and they’ve touched the needle on the rotation. I don’t even need to drop the lever. It’s like the space between the needle and the platter are too small.
Yeah. That's big. Are they albums you need to keep playing?

I wouldn't even bring the arm over if a record was that warped. That's like saying my car doesn't drive well when you're rolling on a completely flat tire.

OK, guys, good news, bad news. The bad news - the phono board on my Creek is fried. The good news is that it's time to invest in an outboard phono :). In the meantime I'm using my Quad Vena's phono stage and it sounds pretty good. Easy to tell the difference between recordings.

I read through all the posts about the studiophono on this site. Seems its performance was eclipsed by other units at a similar pricepoint (e.g., Musical Fidelity). However, the studiophono would fit quite nicely in my rack. I wanted to get your input as to what the strengths of the studiophono were/are and where the other units improved upon it. I didn't quite see those details from the posts I read. I appreciate whatever you can share...oh, and if you happen to have heard an EAR 834P (same designer, Tim deP, as the studiophono)...are they really worth it? thx in advance...

OK, guys, good news, bad news. The bad news - the phono board on my Creek is fried. The good news is that it's time to invest in an outboard phono :). In the meantime I'm using my Quad Vena's phono stage and it sounds pretty good. Easy to tell the difference between recordings.

I read through all the posts about the studiophono on this site. Seems its performance was eclipsed by other units at a similar pricepoint (e.g., Musical Fidelity). However, the studiophono would fit quite nicely in my rack. I wanted to get your input as to what the strengths of the studiophono were/are and where the other units improved upon it. I didn't quite see those details from the posts I read. I appreciate whatever you can share...oh, and if you happen to have heard an EAR 834P (same designer, Tim deP, as the studiophono)...are they really worth it? thx in advance...
The StudioPhono is really well balanced. Tight low end with good extension, smooth top end, but it doesn’t make me go WOW, if that makes sense. It’s just solid and stout, which is akin to the soundstage of the StudioDeck, in my experience with it! I’ve actually been preferring my Schiit Mani lately - it’s more raw, doesn’t extend quite as much, but a bit more exciting to my ear. I’m due for an upgrade next year, with any luck!
EDIT: This year - sheesh, we’re there already

Tim deP passed away last month. RIP.

The 834P is a classic. It finally had to be retired because the design was ripped off and was showing up under “no name” Chinese brands on eBay. It’s got more gain than one really needs for a high output cartridge though. Any time you increase gain, you increase noise. One thing that is of great importance to me is a quiet system in regards to low level noise/hash. I’ve heard one and remember liking it, but not for what it cost at the time in the US.

No experience with these (yet) but there’s a new kid on the block. Top quality parts, and super reasonably priced. I’d go to the MM-6 if it’s in budget. Factory direct American made.

I think the SutdioPhono is really solid, but I will agree with @HayesWeighsIn that it's not a "WOW" piece. The Musical Fidelity line takes what the StudioPhono brings and, in my opinion, adds that "WOW" factor.

I'll share my phono pre-amp chart with you, if might help, these are the ones I've owned and how they compare to each other. Did you have a specific budget you were trying to stay within?
Capture.PNG

@AnthonyI,
I think the SutdioPhono is really solid, but I will agree with @HayesWeighsIn that it's not a "WOW" piece. The Musical Fidelity line takes what the StudioPhono brings and, in my opinion, adds that "WOW" factor.

I'll share my phono pre-amp chart with you, if might help, these are the ones I've owned and how they compare to each other. Did you have a specific budget you were trying to stay within?
View attachment 82312

Thanks for the chart! My budget is around $950USD... So, a used EAR 834P or EAR Phonobox are within budget.

The two rows I could add would be from when I was more of an audiophile... I had the CJ Premier 15 which was phenomenal and I mistakenly replaced it with the Pass Labs ONO...which, for me, was more like Oh, No!

The StudioPhono is really well balanced. Tight low end with good extension, smooth top end, but it doesn’t make me go WOW, if that makes sense. It’s just solid and stout, which is akin to the soundstage of the StudioDeck, in my experience with it! I’ve actually been preferring my Schiit Mani lately - it’s more raw, doesn’t extend quite as much, but a bit more exciting to my ear. I’m due for an upgrade next year, with any luck!
EDIT: This year - sheesh, we’re there already
Thanks so much...especially, the comment that "it doesn't make you go WOW"...appreciate the honesty. Aesthetically and physically it would fit in so well...

@AnthonyI,

Thanks for the chart! My budget is around $950USD... So, a used EAR 834P or EAR Phonobox are within budget.

The two rows I could add would be from when I was more of an audiophile... I had the CJ Premier 15 which was phenomenal and I mistakenly replaced it with the Pass Labs ONO...which, for me, was more like Oh, No!
At $950 you should be able to find a preowned Sutherland Insight. It’s a forum favorite for a reason.

No experience with these (yet) but there’s a new kid on the block. Top quality parts, and super reasonably priced. I’d go to the MM-6 if it’s in budget. Factory direct American made.

If I was to order the MM-6, which I am strongly considering, would the stock loading (47K in parallel with 100pF) be the best option for my studiodeck/gold3? They can customize the loading to 0pF, 150pF, 220pF, 270pF, or 330pF at no charge.

If I was to order the MM-6, which I am strongly considering, would the stock loading (47K in parallel with 100pF) be the best option for my studiodeck/gold3? They can customize the loading to 0pF, 150pF, 220pF, 270pF, or 330pF at no charge.

Yeah that’s perfect. They are the settings I used when I had a Gold2.

Thanks so much...especially, the comment that "it doesn't make you go WOW"...appreciate the honesty. Aesthetically and physically it would fit in so well...
Don’t get me wrong, it’s a solid performer, but with the Musical Fidelity being $50 more, I think in that price range, that’s the move.

Back