Mixtape Madness

So I wrote this big write up and was gonna finish it later so I saved it as a draft. Or so i thought. So i will sum up everything I was going to say.

Music to me channels the mood I'm in. Its always felt like that and its a big reason why im such a fan of music in general. These songs have been in constant rotation for when I am or want to be in a good mood.

The problem with making this playlist was trying to mesh it into a cohesive listening experience. I had quite a few less up beat songs that ruined the flow so I removed them and ended up with another playlist full of more calmer songs. Not sure what the rules are for posting another playlist. If allowed, I would also like to share the other playlist.

So yeah, happy songs = happy me

So I wrote this big write up and was gonna finish it later so I saved it as a draft. Or so i thought. So i will sum up everything I was going to say.

Music to me channels the mood I'm in. Its always felt like that and its a big reason why im such a fan of music in general. These songs have been in constant rotation for when I am or want to be in a good mood.

The problem with making this playlist was trying to mesh it into a cohesive listening experience. I had quite a few less up beat songs that ruined the flow so I removed them and ended up with another playlist full of more calmer songs. Not sure what the rules are for posting another playlist. If allowed, I would also like to share the other playlist.

Imo, the more lists, the merrier!

Imo, the more lists, the merrier!
Yeah, I agree. Hit us with another one!

I am still working through my backlog of mixes but I promise they will ALL get a listen.

It's always hard trying to fit things to a playlist. Sometimes when I just give up and put things I enjoy, I find they mesh better than if I try to manipulate it.

Here is a more chill playlist I made. These songs are more for relaxing on a Sunday morning then partying on a Saturday night. I would try and describe how sadder more mellow songs make me happy but that would take a lot longer then i would like. so here it is!

Well, since it has been a few weeks without one, I'll share the one I sent to Woob as a backup. This one kind of follows a similar style to my previous Mixtape Madness entry. Song notes are below as well.

Digital Wax: N&G Mixtape Madness 2, a playlist by Aron Polasek on Spotify

1) ‘You Left The Water Running’ – Otis Redding
This song has an interesting backstory. It really was never intended for release. I believe it was recorded as sort of a tracking version for Wilson Pickett to record his version. I think it pretty much remained in the vaults until it was added to an Otis comp in the 80’s. This is also one of those 60’s tunes that was recorded by a lot of artists. I don’t know if this is the best version of the bunch or not, but I’ve loved it since the first time I heard it.

2) ‘I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight’ – Richard & Linda Thompson
I know more than a few Richard Thompson tunes, but I’m not a hardcore fan by any stretch. I was turned on to this song via a playlist that Moving Panoramas put together earlier this year. Super catchy tune with a really swampy vibe.

3) ‘Touch The Sky’ – Black Pumas
These guys have really caught fire in Austin and beyond. Great to see it too. I think their album is really great, and they are a terrific live act too. Could have gone with several of their tunes here, but the horn lines in ‘Touch The Sky’ pushed it ahead of the others.

4) ‘Darker Shade Of Black’ – Jackie Mittoo
The Soul Jazz comp that this appears on is titled “The Keyboard King at Studio One”, and that pretty much says it all. This cool instrumental has some “Norwegian Wood’ in there.

5) ‘Beat Silent Need’ – Júníus Meyvant
I was introduced to this song via KUTX one evening, and thought it was really catchy. Icelandic singer songwriter. I have no idea what the song is about, and the video is rather confusing as well. Still, it sounds really good, and that’s all that really matters.

6) ‘Strange Relationship’ – Prince
I wanted a song with a strong beat to follow ‘Beat Silent Need’, so I went and found myself a Prince tune.

7) ‘These Important Years’ – Hüsker Dü
Staying in Minnesota for one of my favorite Bob Mould tunes.

8) ’52 Girls’ – The B-52’s
I saw online that this is the 40th anniversary of the release of the first B-52’s album. Always thought this was a fun tune with some killer surf guitar licks.

9) ‘Gudbuy T’Jane’ – Slade
Slade are a really underrated band here in the U.S. At least in my opinion. They aren’t a band that has a ton of thought provoking lyrics…they’re just a straight ahead rock band whose lead singer had electricity in his vocal cords. This is just a terrific glam rock song.

10) ‘Boy’ – Lola Tried
Another newish Austin band that I’ve really been enjoying as of late. Another one where I could have picked several tunes, but I love the lyrics on this one.

11) ‘Tony Adams’ – Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
I would never claim that The Mescaleros were a better band for Joe than The Clash. That would be stupid. However, I do think they were an underrated band to back him up in the latter part of his career. And I think they really grew from their first record with Joe to the last recordings. This is the lead-off track for that first record, and from the first listen, I thought this was the perfect direction for Joe to head.

12) ‘Soldier’ – Neneh Cherry
This is the final song on Neneh Cherry’s most recent album, last year’s “Broken Politics”. I’m a big fan of hers, and I’m glad she’s back to recording somewhat regularly. “Broken Politics” was one of my favorite albums released last year. If you haven’t given it a listen, you should.

13) ‘Angels With Dirty Faces’ – Los Lobos
The “Kiko” album was released in 1992, and it still sounds really fresh and otherworldly to me. This is my personal favorite from that record. So much atmosphere on this one.

14) ‘It’s Okay’ – Land Of Talk
I caught Land Of Talk at SXSW when they were kind of just getting going, and I thought they were really impressive. They took an extended break, and I kind of lost track of them. This is a real heartbreaker of a tune. Lead singer Elizabeth Powell sounds so weary and downright exhausted, but then the song just keeps building to a nice crescendo.

15) ‘Plainclothes Man’ – Heatmiser
I’ve been listening to a lot of Elliott Smith in recent weeks for various reasons. I went to a 50th birthday tribute show recently, and I heard so many songs that I had liked in the past but sort of forgotten about over time. And I heard a few that didn’t really ever hit me back in the 90’s, but they are leaving a mark in 2019. That last Heatmiser album has some really cool Elliott songs on it. This one is probably the most well known, and it is that way for good reason.

Last edited:
So...have we kind of abandoned the one playlist a week schedule at this point?

Woob said his schedule was crazy and we should get back to the regular weekly schedule I think next week? But thanks for putting one up for this week! It looks like @Mitchell? is up for next week, are you still open to putting one together to drop on Monday? I'm the week after that and have one ready for whenever if @Mitchell? is unable to put one up.

Edit: I just realized @Mitchell? hasn't been on the site since August, so if they don't come back and say they'll post one, I'll post mine on Monday.

Last edited:
Well @Mitchell? never came back :( so I guess I'll post mine.

I remember reading an interview years ago with the lead singer of Copeland where, when comparing two albums, he said "With Beneath Medicine Tree, I wanted to make a record that moves people, while with In Motion, I wanted to make a record that makes people move." For some reason that quote and the idea of music that moves you vs. makes you move has always stuck with me; and this mixtape is intended to make you move. Each of the tracks on here is a personal favorite of mine, and is a song that makes me move every time I hear it, regardless of my mood. There's a lot of funk on here and a lot of groovy baselines and active hi-hats. I didn't set out to do it initially, but after selecting my favorite songs I realized it was about half classic oldies and half newer stuff. I also realized that most of the new stuff was from @Plaid Room / Colemine Records. So I tried to intertwine the new and the old throughout and am glad that this highlights a lot of my favorite artists, and highlights the greatest label out there releasing music today, Colemine Records (tracks 3,8,10,14,15)! Another thing I noticed after making the mix is that a lot of these songs have fantastic solos or breakdowns at some point in the song, so be on the lookout for those haha (tracks 2,4,5,6,9,10,14).

And here's a track breakdown:

1. Common - Be:
I'm not sure this one really belongs, but man I love it and it makes me move, so it counts!haha This is the album opener to Be (my #2 hip hop album of all time) and I can still remember exactly where I was the first time I heard this song back in high school. I immediately knew the album was going to be amazing and it changed hip hop for me. Still love the lines "Waitin' for the Lord to rise I look into my daughter's eyes, and realize I'ma learn through her, the Messiah might even return through her, if I'ma do it, I gotta change the world through her." and "Never lookin' back, or too far in front of me, the present is a gift, and I just wanna be."

2. Betty Davis - You Won't See Me in the Morning:
The goddess of funk doing goddess things with an amazing group of musicians around her. This one is impossible to not move too, so. damn. funky. I can't believe this track was locked away for decades and not released until the LITA reissue in 2007. It's the reason I grabbed the LITA version with this song on the bonus 7" instead of the VMP version.

3. Monophonics - Like Yesterday:
An absolute banger of a funk song, highlights Colemine and my (apparent) love for Kelly Finnigan.

4. Funkadelic - Hit It and Quit It:
I just love this song. So fun and light, but funky and groovy at the same time. George Clinton and Parliament/Funkadlic never took themselves too seriously, but just when you thought it was all fun, Eddie Hazel comes in, gets serious, and shreds the guitar solo.

5. Childish Gambino - Have Some Love:
This song is reminiscent of some of that old school P-Funk. Definitely funky, but fun at the same time.

6. Sly & the Family Stone - Stand!:
This is a great song, but it's mostly here because of the breakdown at the end of the song, I love it!

7. Chaka Khan - Tell Me Something Good:
Proving a song doesn't have to be upbeat to make you move. This one is slow, but still makes you move.

8. The Gripsweats - Ziggy's Walk:
Instrumental intermission. I don't ususally listen to instrumental tracks, but this one (another Colemine track) is great!

9. Jamila Woods - GIOVANNI:
My favorite song off of one of my favorite albums to come out this year. When the chorus kicks in, I can't help but bob my head and make that 'damn this is funky, owww' scrunched up face (we need an emoji of that face).

10. A.J. and the Jiggawatts - It Is What It Is:
Some more Colemine, this time some good ol' nasty gritty funk! One of the few Colemine 7" records I've purchased, this one has been played over and over again on many occasions.

11. Parliament - Handcuffs:
More fun funk from P-Funk, great groove on this one!

12. Stealth (feat. The Dap-Kings) - Black Heart:
One of my favorite singles from this year so far. The Dap-Kings bring it, as always!

13. James Brown - Get Up Offa That Thing:
Can't have a funk playlist without some James Brown!

14. Orgone (w/Kelly Finnigan) - Nobody's Fault But Mine:
Otis Redding is one of my favorite artists, but Orgone and Kelly Finnigan take this Otis cover to a whole new level. They funk it up in all the right ways!

15. Orgone (w/Kelly Finnigan) - Goodbye Nola:
Again, I'm not completely convinced this one belongs on the mix, but I love it and it's a great closer haha

I'm sure most people have heard of most of the songs on here, and it started as a fun windows down cruisin' summer album, but I hope you enjoy it!

I know it's not my turn yet, but my mix is finished if anyone isn't ready to go and a mix is needed on standby
giphy.gif

So I decided to do something a little different with my mixtape. Instead of hosting it on a streaming service like Spotify or Apple Music, I’ve uploaded a personally made mix to Dropbox for everyone to download. (I hope that’s okay!)

I did it this way for a few reasons. First, I wanted to avoid being at the mercy of what is or isn’t on these streaming services. There’s also certain restrictions that come with streaming, like some songs/albums being available in some regions and not in others, that were just generally unappealing. However, the biggest reason was that I wanted to create a real mix with a sense of there being a personal touch to it. I often make compilations of songs where I try to find fun and effective ways to make songs flow into each other in my free time, and that’s what I’ve done here, with the added bonus that it isn’t just for my own personal amusement this time and that I get to share it with all of you.

I wish I could say that the ten songs curated for this mix were chosen because of some sort of thematic cohesion, but I think more than anything it’s just a reflection of the kind of music I tend to gravitate to. Hopefully it makes for an entertaining listen and, if nothing else, gives you some insight into the musical world of Gap. Enjoy! <3

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y2o9e4a22wx937s/AAClVnX_n9QiEmiv1d4hCFzBa?dl=0

So I decided to do something a little different with my mixtape. Instead of hosting it on a streaming service like Spotify or Apple Music, I’ve uploaded a personally made mix to Dropbox for everyone to download. (I hope that’s okay!)

I did it this way for a few reasons. First, I wanted to avoid being at the mercy of what is or isn’t on these streaming services. There’s also certain restrictions that come with streaming, like some songs/albums being available in some regions and not in others, that were just generally unappealing. However, the biggest reason was that I wanted to create a real mix with a sense of there being a personal touch to it. I often make compilations of songs where I try to find fun and effective ways to make songs flow into each other in my free time, and that’s what I’ve done here, with the added bonus that it isn’t just for my own personal amusement this time and that I get to share it with all of you.

I wish I could say that the ten songs curated for this mix were chosen because of some sort of thematic cohesion, but I think more than anything it’s just a reflection of the kind of music I tend to gravitate to. Hopefully it makes for an entertaining listen and, if nothing else, gives you some insight into the musical world of Gap. Enjoy! <3

An actual song file.. What is this? 2002? 😝

I love that Busdriver track, dropped it in the JQBX a couple of days ago! Great mix, Gap!

I understand the sentiments for this, my first mix on here is on soundcloud for these very reasons posted as one long file. Will listen to this later today. Thanks for the mix!

Back