Metal!

Alright, I've been slowly expanding my exposure to the wider world of metal, and I'd like some recommendations from the resident metalheads.

I'm in my mid-30s, so I went to high school during the heyday of nu metal, and I guess I just didn't feel inclined to dig deeper. In recent years my love for post rock led me to enjoy stuff like Russian Circles and Deafheaven, which led me to things like Alcest, Møl, and Rolo Tomassi. Recently, I've gotten into some of the popular groups like Mastodon and Baroness, as well as Kylesa and Bask. At the same time I've been working on exploring the more well-known 80s stuff, including pre-Black Metallica.

I know I'm barely scratching the surface (and, as you can see, I haven't really ventured into the really heavy stuff), so where should I go next?
Definitely interested in seeing the suggestions you receive. Could use some of the same advice. (Though I've seriously bookmarked so many things from this thread I've yet to dive into due to the volume of music I already follow.)

I come from much the same school of sound (hence the self-proclaimed Post-rock Evangelist in my sig). Pretty much everything you listed up through Baroness is my wheelhouse. I'm more aligned with metal-adjacent styles than actual metal, but eager to delve.

In that vein, I pretty much ascribe to all things Sargent House, Holy Roar (of which you've already listed a few artists from), and Pelagic Records. Have you explored the depths of each of those labels?

A few other artists of note – not straight-up metal: King Woman, Royal Thunder (more so live than recorded), The Atlas Moth, Bell Witch, Labirinto, Thou, Rosetta, Irata, Helen Money, Envy, Heaven in her arms, SOM, Down I Go, Shels, Vukari, Circle Takes the Square.

Edit: Oh and Latitudes for something cosmic, Protest the Hero for something proggy, and if you want to get weird with it Dir en grey – my all-time favorite band (Uroboros is an eerie masterpiece).

Last edited:
Alright, I've been slowly expanding my exposure to the wider world of metal, and I'd like some recommendations from the resident metalheads.

I'm in my mid-30s, so I went to high school during the heyday of nu metal, and I guess I just didn't feel inclined to dig deeper. In recent years my love for post rock led me to enjoy stuff like Russian Circles and Deafheaven, which led me to things like Alcest, Møl, and Rolo Tomassi. Recently, I've gotten into some of the popular groups like Mastodon and Baroness, as well as Kylesa and Bask. At the same time I've been working on exploring the more well-known 80s stuff, including pre-Black Metallica.

I know I'm barely scratching the surface (and, as you can see, I haven't really ventured into the really heavy stuff), so where should I go next?
Did you spend any time on this thread...
I think there is lots of great suggestions throughout this thread, if you haven’t already, give it a scroll.

do you have any leanings towards any of the metal music you have been listening to? do you tend to have a preference towards thrash, sludge, doom, stoner, math/prog, melodic, hardcore, etc?

do you have any leanings towards any of the metal music you have been listening to? do you tend to have a preference towards thrash, sludge, doom, stoner, math/prog, melodic, hardcore, etc?

Hmmmm... I think I'm still getting familiar with all the sub-genres, but I'm definitely looking to explore more in the sludge and doom realm of things, although I'm really open to check out most anything. If nothing else, I'll be watching this thread going forward and trying stuff people recommend.

Hmmmm... I think I'm still getting familiar with all the sub-genres, but I'm definitely looking to explore more in the sludge and doom realm of things, although I'm really open to check out most anything. If nothing else, I'll be watching this thread going forward and trying stuff people recommend.
Have you listened to Electric Wizard - Dopethrone yet? If not, give it a go. It is one of the most well regarded doom albums of all time.

Belzebong's Sonic Scapes And Weedy Grooves is getting a repress! January 1st is looking like the preorder date but that might change

Attachments

• 074E4715-5E6F-4336-B0C0-6E354275FE65.png
    074E4715-5E6F-4336-B0C0-6E354275FE65.png
    461.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 314938E6-9582-4C85-BDDC-36158336A2D1.png
    314938E6-9582-4C85-BDDC-36158336A2D1.png
    270 KB · Views: 4
Some heavy psych fuzz space rock for @Enaz Fox et al.

Dhidalah - Threshold 発端
a0317629690_16.jpg

P.S. Don't forget to add the newest repress of House in the Tall Grass to your cart if you don't own it yet. ;)

This new Blood Incantation album is EVERYTHING that is been hyped to be. It is a 100% certified banger.

Will need a few more full listens to see where it ranks overall on my 2019 list. But damn, is this good!~

Based on the bands you named, here are some albums that I really enjoy and you might enjoy as well. (pardon me if you are already familiar with them)

Bossk - Audio Noir
Botch - We Are The Romans
Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs - King of Cowards
Amenra - Mass VI
Downfall of Gaia - Ethic of Radical Finitude
Yob - Our Raw Heart
Elder - Reflections of a Floating World
Year of no Light - Nord
Fall of Efrafa - Inlé
Inter Arma - Sulphur English

Back