Metal!

Can we talk about this album?

I dig this release.
But are we calling this a "metal album" or a departure of an album by a "metal band"?

I'd say it was an interesting exploration and I'm very curious as to where they take the group next. From my understanding it's only going to get stranger, one of the few groups actually carving out their own lane imo.

Can we talk about this album?

I dig this release.
But are we calling this a "metal album" or a departure of an album by a "metal band"?

The social media response to this has been a total embarrassment. So many people acting like the band wasn't clear about it being a not metal album. FFS.

I'm more inclined toward your second framing, though it may be fair to say they are proving "metal band" is also limited in scope.

Either way, I dig it. Is it the most mind-blowing cosmic ambient release? Nah, but that's perfectly alright. Easily fits the mold of music I turn to when I need lyricless background sound. Doesn't make me appreciate them any less.

The social media response to this has been a total embarrassment. So many people acting like the band wasn't clear about it being a not metal album. FFS.

I'm more inclined toward your second framing, though it may be fair to say they are proving "metal band" is also limited in scope.

Either way, I dig it. Is it the most mind-blowing cosmic ambient release? Nah, but that's perfectly alright. Easily fits the mold of music I turn to when I need lyricless background sound. Doesn't make me appreciate them any less.

I love the fact this was the follow up to Hidden History of the Human Race.

I had no info about Timewave Zero when added it to the listening rotation.

Its very "metal" for them to just put this out with a kind of "fuck it, this is what we did, like it or don't" attitude.
I personally like it.

About two weeks late, but I found the first metal album in serious consideration for my top50 year end chart. I will have to get around their 90s and early 00s output, because this one was exciting.

[death metal]

Back