Metal!

Hey gang! Is there a place that I can see new releases for the new year. Starting in January, I'm going to start diving in to metal exclusively for a couple of months.
The Wikipedia article is fairly accurate. Only a couple not on there like the new Eternal Champions. These are my faves from the year.

Unleash the Archers - Abyss
Elder - Omens
Protest the Hero - Palimpsest
Spirit Adrift - Enlightened in Eternity
Eternal Champion - Ravening Iron

Hey gang! Is there a place that I can see new releases for the new year. Starting in January, I'm going to start diving in to metal exclusively for a couple of months.
You're going to be diving into metal for 2021? January is a pretty light release month typically, but I check these places for new releases:

You're going to be diving into metal for 2021? January is a pretty light release month typically, but I check these places for new releases:

For 2021. When does it typically start to get busy?

Thanks for the input! I consider myself to be a fringe listener. Began with the standard hair metal phase and then ventured into Thrash. Metallica, Anthrax & Slayer, etc. After that I turned into an Alternative & Indie rock kid and have pretty much stayed the course. Over the last 10 years or so, I’ve listened to Cannibal Corpse, Cattle Decapitation, Behemoth, Amon Amarth and The Black Dahlia Murder. My plan for 2021 is to challenge myself to give 3 genres that I don’t listen to a lot of and just immerse myself for at least 2 months, maybe 3. My main worry with any genre is the too many bands sound the same syndrome. So besides the new releases, if there are any must listen to albums, feel free to post!
Even though I’m not a traditional metal head, I’ve always respected the movement and the fans. Cheers 🍻

Thanks for the input! I consider myself to be a fringe listener. Began with the standard hair metal phase and then ventured into Thrash. Metallica, Anthrax & Slayer, etc. After that I turned into an Alternative & Indie rock kid and have pretty much stayed the course. Over the last 10 years or so, I’ve listened to Cannibal Corpse, Cattle Decapitation, Behemoth, Amon Amarth and The Black Dahlia Murder. My plan for 2021 is to challenge myself to give 3 genres that I don’t listen to a lot of and just immerse myself for at least 2 months, maybe 3. My main worry with any genre is the too many bands sound the same syndrome. So besides the new releases, if there are any must listen to albums, feel free to post!
Even though I’m not a traditional metal head, I’ve always respected the movement and the fans. Cheers 🍻
I mean, listening to Behemoth and Cannibal Corpse definitely helps you qualify as a metal head now. Good job!

Exciting stuff! My favorites for the year for 2020 ("MUST LISTENS" bolded):

Death Metal
Necrot - Mortal
Faceless Burial - Speciation
Disembowel - Echoes of Terror
Smouldering in Forgotten - Invictus Mortem
Undeath - Lesions of a Different Kind
Darkened - Kingdom of Decay

Black Metal
Blaze of Sorrow - Absentia
The Spirit - Cosmic Terror
Sinira - The Everlorn
The Committee - Utopian Deception
Kvaen - The Funeral Pyre
Oldowan Gash - Hubris Unchained
Macabre Omen - Anamneses
Havukruunu - Uinuous Syomein Sota

Thrash
Subtype Zero - Ceremonious Extinction (EP, but it's so good I thought it deserved a spot)
Wartooth - Programmed Dichotomy
Pessimist - Holdout
Demolizer - Thrashmageddon
Deathstorm - For Dread Shall Reign (really more death-thrash, but I think it belongs here)

Stoner/Doom
Lowrider - Refractions
Elephant Tree - Sails
Ritual King - S/T
Dopelord - Sign of the Devil
Hail the Void - S/T
Heavy Eyes - Love Like Machines

Traditional/Heavy Metal/Power
Spirit Adrift - Enlightened in Eternity
Judicator - Let There Be Nothing
Cirith Ungol - Forever Black
Kvelertak - Splid

Prog/Avant Garde/Weirder Stuff
Thou/Emma Ruth Rundle - May Our Chambers Be Full
Oranssi Pazuzu - Mestarin Kynsi
Sweven - The Eternal Resonance

Alex Laiho passed away today at 41. I was never the hugest CoB fan, but they were one of the first "real" metal bands I ever heard. I loved their use of keyboards in metal, and those riffs were tasty.

This is sad man. They were one of the big ones back when I was really into metal cc.'09-'14. Saw them with Amon Amarth, Job for a Cowboy and a few others back in the day. Think I'll put on Hate Crew Deathroll or Follow the Reaper at some point today.

this is a fun video

SANGUISUGABOGG Drops NSFW New Song "Menstrual Envy"​

Troma rocks so really cool to see them involved. @Goatfish got me into these guys when they had repressed the EP. They were on Maggot Stomp (Disembowel from last years label) and the full length debut is about to come out. All the colors sold out already but more are incoming. Always not sure to share here as they are on the more brütal side of stuff, but stoked to see you posting it!

Back