Metal!

Even though I've definitely been exploring a lot more extreme metal this year, I'm still pretty much a beginner, so hit me with your extreme metal recs! Atmospheric black metal, and technical death metal are my favorites so far
Revocation is my fave tech death band, they're a little thrashy, but David Davidson is a monster. Pretty much every one of their albums is a banger.

Allegaeon I dig, too. They were incredibly tight live.

Even though I've definitely been exploring a lot more extreme metal this year, I'm still pretty much a beginner, so hit me with your extreme metal recs! Atmospheric black metal, and technical death metal are my favorites so far
Oh, I forgot to mention these are recs assuming you're already listening to Death.

Witch Vomit, Gatecreeper, and Blood Incantation are my favorite Death Metal Band’s going right now.

+1 on "start at Death and work forward". Chuck is where it really starts IMO. every one of their albums is really, really great. Only Wire have as sharp an "each album is an exponential growth from where they were" progression to their discography. Like their early albums they are definitely 18 year olds who love horror movies and want to gross you out, by spiritual healing, they're definitely leaving that behind and symbolic and human has them getting even more technical. sound of perseverence is such a high point.

me metal this year, I'm still pretty much a beginner, so hit me with your extreme metal recs! Atmospheric black metal, and technical death metal are my favorites so far

I'd recommend starting further back and going for some Swedish Black Metal (Dawn, Sacramentum, Dissection, Vinterland) and US OSDM that influenced brutal/tech death (aforementioned Death albums, early Suffocation, Atheist, Pestilence, Nocturnus).

Outside of digging into the roots, here are two of my favorites of each genre:

Necrophagist - Epitaph (tech death)

Gallowbraid - Ashen Eidolon (atmo black - heard for the first time recently and it blew my mind, project of Visigoth frontman Jake Rogers)

Leviathan is my fave, with Blood Mountain close behind.

But I got into them at Leviathan, so it was my first impression.
My introduction was "March of the Fire Ants" but I think I bought Leviathan first, too. Blood Mountain is a distant second but Crack the Skye is a top-10 album ever for me.

What's your favourite Mastodon record? I love everything up to The Hunter but Crack the Skye is my favourite by far.
I just passed on picking up a colored variant of CTS at my local this weekend
They had it at $85.

My essentials are Leviathan and Blood Mountain.
CTS is great and I like The Hunter....but I dont need it on vinyl.

I just passed on picking up a colored variant of CTS at my local this weekend
They had it at $85.

My essentials are Leviathan and Blood Mountain.
CTS is great and I like The Hunter....but I dont need it on vinyl.
I've just got the standard black 33 press but someday I hope they reissue the 2x45. Actually my only Mastodon vinyl. Definitely need to pick up Blood Mountain at some point.

I've just got the standard black 33 press but someday I hope they reissue the 2x45. Actually my only Mastodon vinyl. Definitely need to pick up Blood Mountain at some point.
I think it was the Green 2009 pressing they had.
If I came across a copy of the 2x45 OG in the wild...I would be very tempted to pick it up.
I dont have Blood Mountain....yet. Holding out for an OG copy of that as well.

What's your favourite Mastodon record? I love everything up to The Hunter but Crack the Skye is my favourite by far.
I would probably rank em...

Tier 01 (God Tier)
Leviathan
Remission
Blood Mountain
Crack The Skye

Tier 02 (Great Tier)
The Hunter
Emperor Of Sand

Tier 03 (Still pretty good Tier)
Once More ‘Round The Sun

I still need a copy of Crack The Skye on wax but I have been hoping to find the n of the 45rpm copies at a reasonable price.

Back