May 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - A Crash Course for the Ravers

Day 29 - The Stars (Are Out Tonight)
Stars are never sleeping / Dead ones and the living
Play something about stars

Our Sun is a G-Type Main Sequence Star / Yellow Dwarf. I don't know what type of a star a Turquoise Hexagon Sun would be classified as though.

Boards of Canada ~ music has the right to children

1654012956759.png

Day 30 - Kooks - Duncan Zowie Haywood Jones born May 30 1971
We bought a lot of things / To keep you warm and dry / And a funny old crib on which the paint won't dry
Play a lullaby (interpret this any way you want)

Songs titles like Sleepless Nights and Dream a Little Dream remind me of my thoughts when my kids were younger.

Eddie Vedder ~ Ukulele Songs

1654016672161.png

Day 30: Kooks - Duncan Zowie Haywood Jones born May 30 1971
We bought a lot of things / To keep you warm and dry / And a funny old crib on which the paint won't dry

Queens Of The Stone Age - Lullabies To Paralyze
5C503B67-07A2-4382-9783-78AE391894B5.jpeg
I lucked into this original pressing. A while ago apparently QOTSA found a few boxes of old merch including this (and Eagles Of Death Metal’s debut, Peace Love, and Death Metal) when they were cleaning out a storage unit. They put them up for sale on their website for close to retail price. Thankfully I was trolling through Reddit when a fellow collector posted about the find and was able to pick up copies of both records. The nice part about the OG pressing is you get both nice colored wax and better still alternate album art that was never used in subsequent releases.

Day 31: Diamond Dogs released on this day in 1974
Play something canine related

Real Estate - Real Estate
201945EF-08F8-4585-BBD1-3D0A6C4ECFBB.jpeg

Kicking off the the beginning of white shoe season (and capping off this month's challenge thread) with on of my favorite “summertime vibe” musical acts, Real Estate. They create the perfect music for relaxing around a pool, cuddling around a fire pit, or grilling up some burgers and dogs on the Weber. Essentially a backyard recreation soundtrack.

Last edited:
Day 31: Diamond Dogs released on this day in 1974

I played Warren Zevons original on day 8, so going with a cover of Werewolves of London here. Plus as @TenderLovingKiller® pointed out, it is the beginning of white shoe season, and David Lindley is, as always, perfectly dressed for the occasion in his finest polyester & white shoes on the cover.

David Lindley & El-Rayo-X ~ Very Greasy

1654019022984.png

Thanks for the fun month @jamieanderson1968 !

Day 30 - Kooks - Duncan Zowie Haywood Jones born May 30 1971
Breaking the rules here as I only have this on cd as it has not been pressed on the black stuff20220531_192341.jpg20220531_192430.jpg
Screenshot_20220531-192950_Discogs.jpg

Day 31 - Diamond Dogs released on this day in 1974

It's been a while since I watched this movie - and I don't like the cover art here.

Charles Bernstein ‎– Cujo (Music From The Motion Picture)
Real Gone Music ‎– RGM-0620, 2017

Black & Brown Swirl "St. Bernard" variant - limited to 1000

Cut by Richard Houghten
Pressed at RTI

PxDXvd.jpg

8gYQnx.jpg

Thanks to @jamieanderson1968 for hosting this month.

Not sure if I'm gonna have time to start off the next month...I really need to get through some of this backlog of records. The neverending pile of scores/soundtracks is piling up again.

For this first 2 weeks or so of this new job I was just added to fill some shift holes. Next week I start my more usual "3 on, 4 off" schedule, and that makes it a bit easier to have some time for records.

Day 31 - Diamond Dogs released on this day in 1974

Crowded House - Afterglow

IMG_5789.jpg

Afterglow is a collection of demos and b-sides from one of my all time favorite groups, Crowded House. One of the songs on this collection is Lester, which is about Neil Finn's dog. From the liner notes:

“Lester was a home demo recorded in 1988 after Lester – our fine spotted Dalmation – was bowled by a passing car and narrowly avoided an early grave. There’s something about home demos that reek of atmosphere and feeling. There are many more of these but that’s another album…”

Shout out to @jamieanderson1968 for running such a fun challenge!

Back