May 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - A Crash Course for the Ravers

Day 3 - Prettiest Star
All because of what you are / The prettiest star
Marc Bolan played guitar on the original recording in 1970.
Play something with a ‘special guest’ or a 'collab' as the kids call it these days

Let's keep it Bowie.

Many folks don't know the guitarist on the 'Let's Dance' record is Stevie Ray Vaughan. SRV was set to play that tour but 'Texas Flood' exploded and he had his own touring to do.

There's a readily available bootleg out there of Serious Moonlight Tour rehearsals with Stevie Ray on guitar. Hint hint.......it's below...

David Bowie - Let's Dance

View attachment 137729

Funny, this days challenge started with this song/album

Day 1 - Lazarus

Art Pepper - Neon Art: Volume 3

Art Pepper had a very successful career in the 50's and early-60's, but several stints in San Quentin took him out of the game for most of the 60's and 70s. Fortunately, he came back with a vengeance at the end of his life to put out a lot of wicked music.

View attachment 137739

Hey there J - nice to see you throw your hat back in the challenge!

Day 3 - Prettiest Star
Play something with a ‘special guest’ or a 'collab' as the kids call it these days

Stevie Nicks "Bella Donna" (1981 Modern Records; 2020 club remaster)
Tom Petty is featured on Stop Draggin' My Heart Around.

IMG_2465.JPG

Day 3 - Prettiest Star

Santana - Splendiferous

Too many special guests to list so I included a picture below. I'm a little disappointed this wasn't just a 3LP set that included all the songs from the CD/streaming version, but it's an excellent selection. Another RSD release from this year that sounds incredible.
IMG_20220503_115222.jpg
IMG_20220503_115239.jpg

Day 3 - Prettiest Star

I never would have had "Thundercat is releasing an album that includes Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald" on my 2017 bingo card.

Thundercat ~ Drunk

1651595647642.png

Day 3 - Prettiest Star

Chvrches- Screen Violence

62022D77-1DDC-49CA-80FA-09ACEDF055E1.jpeg

The Godfather of goth Robert Smith joined Chvrches on the track "How Not to Drown", one of my favorite songs of 2021. Fun fact - they didn't meet during the recording process but did finally meet to perform the track live at the NME Awards.

Day 2 - Suffragette City
Don’t lean on me man / cos you can’t afford the ticket
Play a record that was very expensive or you got cheap and is now stupid pricy

I'm positive I've used this record and told this story in other challenges, but hey, one more time for the new kids.
On a January Saturday morning while planning a brewery crawl with our friends, I reserved a copy of this at Barnes & Noble because the location matched the area in which we were going to be crawling.
Flash forward to our place several hours later; we gave this a focused, buzzed listen. My wife had never really given a full Bowie album a listen before, so that added into the experience. We all barely chatted during that first listen, the record was so captivating. Needless to say, we loved it, and it really moved her. The next morning with coffee she requested another spin. Then Monday morning hit, and we learned of Bowie's passing. Holy shit he planned that whole thing.
Of course the value of this pressing shot right up, but it matters not...I have such a connection with this, the music and item itself...it's hard to put a value on that.

IMG_0904.JPG

Day 2 - Suffragette City
Don’t lean on me man / cos you can’t afford the ticket
Play a record that was very expensive or you got cheap and is now stupid pricy

I'm positive I've used this record and told this story in other challenges, but hey, one more time for the new kids.
On a January Saturday morning while planning a brewery crawl with our friends, I reserved a copy of this at Barnes & Noble because the location matched the area in which we were going to be crawling.
Flash forward to our place several hours later; we gave this a focused, buzzed listen. My wife had never really given a full Bowie album a listen before, so that added into the experience. We all barely chatted during that first listen, the record was so captivating. Needless to say, we loved it, and it really moved her. The next morning with coffee she requested another spin. Then Monday morning hit, and we learned of Bowie's passing. Holy shit he planned that whole thing.
Of course the value of this pressing shot right up, but it matters not...I have such a connection with this, the music and item itself...it's hard to put a value on that.

View attachment 137806
That is always such a good story.

Day 2 - Suffragette City

About 8 years ago, a friend from high school got a hold of me on Facebook Messenger - as friends from high school one has no real contact with tend to do. I have Facebook, but only post what I play...and that's pretty much it. She asked me if I wanted some records she found, I asked for a picture thinking all would be crap, when she sent it I saw a few I wanted (Jaws OST being one I remember)...but this one was intriging. I didn't know it...but I could tell it wasn't the usual thrift store crap.

Turned out to be a Country/Folk/Singer Songwriter Midwest Private Press that really isn't too bad...and very listenable.

It's not off the charts as some Private Presses can get, but it was a good find for the price of shipping the records to me.

Screenshot 2022-05-04 030412.jpg

Spencer / Miller – Face To Face
Wonder Y Records – none, 1974

Cut at Nashville Record Productions

XFosoF.jpg

kzpB3u.jpg

Day 4 - Bombers

Amerie - Because I Love It

Amerie was dropped from the Columbia label just as this album was released. Consequently, it had an incredibly limited release in the US, and failed to chart on the Billboard 200. It's a tough album to find; this CD is from Japan. Despite all that, it's a great album!
(ps: I few months ago I was told it was OK to post CDs; I hope that's still true because this album is only available on CD)

P5040059.JPG

Last edited:
Day 3 - Prettiest Star

Robert Palmer helped out with some percussion duties on this album...Chris Frantz went on to play drums on Palmers album "Clues".

Talking Heads – Remain In Light
Sire – 8122708021, 1980/2013

Cut by Kevin Gray at AcousTech Mastering
Pressed at Optimal (From the US RTI plates)

2Ciage.jpg

8fWBx0.jpg

Day 3 - Prettiest Star

Robert Palmer helped out with some percussion duties on this album...Chris Frantz went on to play drums on Palmers album "Clues".

Talking Heads – Remain In Light
Sire – 8122708021, 1980/2013

Cut by Kevin Gray at AcousTech Mastering
Pressed at Optimal (From the US RTI plates)

2Ciage.jpg

8fWBx0.jpg
I swear between 76 and 79 it is hard to find a major label record that Robert Palmer or Phil Collins is not on.

Back