May 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - A Crash Course for the Ravers

Day 1 - Lazarus
Look up here, I’m in heaven
Play something by an artist who had a 2nd career, chance or just a long time between albums.

Toad the Wet Sprocket - New Constellation

F022D4E7-E505-4567-A72D-B5C52E5777D5.jpegReleased 15 years after Coil, New Constellation was the result of a break up, some random shows touring together and then officially getting back together again. And what a comeback it was!! New Constellation features the classic Toad the Wet Sprocket sound and one of my all time favorite songs California Wasted.

Last edited:
Day 2 - Suffragette City
Don’t lean on me man / cos you can’t afford the ticket
Play a record that was very expensive or you got cheap and is now stupid pricy

Fischmob - Männer können sein Gefühle nicht zeigen
German Hip Hop from the mid 90s (and DJ Kozes first band - i think he is the second from the right on the cover.) Bought this for cheap at a concert before i even had a cd playr, because on my cd copy one of the songs would end abruptly after the first refrain with a radio announcer voice coming in telling you that you could listen to the full track only on the vinyl version.
Now goes for over 100€ in decent condition. and since band an record compny long disbanded a repress is not likely.

1651475171035.png

Day 2 - Suffragette City

Weighing in at $90 shipped, the past, present and future accideal champion...

The Beatles In Mono

View attachment 137630View attachment 137631
I think this will only be beaten if the Dylan Mono box goes on sale for $15

Day 1 - Lazarus
Look up here, I’m in heaven
Play something by an artist who had a 2nd career, chance or just a long time between albums.

Danny's last Solo album was in 1984, last rock album was 1994. Came back with this last year and and some well deserved recognition at Coachella.

Danny Elfman ~ Big Mess

1651509124949.png

Day 2 - Suffragette City

Bought in 2017 for under $40 on Amazon when they were blowing it out. Regularly goes for $200+ now.

Grateful Dead ~ Europe '72, Volume 2.

1651519881442.png

Day 2 - Suffragette City
David Bowie - Ouvrez Le Chien (Live Dallas 1995)

Well I waited until I pulled out a Bowie album. The series of 6 live releases from 2020/21 now all go for stupid money. The median on Discogs has them all at about $250 each. There was a guy on eBay flogging all 6, plus slip case, for a cool $1000. Some idiot paid about $850 for a copy of this last year on Discogs. Can't wait until they repress these and the flipper market collapses.
0E85A2E4-FFCA-426D-ACDA-1C84F6FBC4E5.jpeg

Day 2 - Suffragette City

Taylor Swift - Red (2018 Black Friday RSD Clear version)

0B00FB3B-9B64-4090-811D-A874C602E359.jpeg

I picked this up at Black Friday RSD in 2018 for around $25. Someone bought one for $400 on discogs less than two weeks ago 😳

Day 2 - Suffragette City

Brandi Carlile - Live At Benaroya Hall With The Seattle Symphony
Screenshot_20220502-181452.jpg

I lucked out in getting one of the last new copies before this went OOS. It's one of my favorite live shows. But it's going for around $250 now. Ridiculous.

Day 2 - Suffragette City

Hot Chip "Coming On Strong" (2004 Moshi Moshi)
Band's first album, before it was re-released on Astralwerks with extra tracks and the yellow cover. Bought upon release in 2004, for less than $20, this version is housed in a silk-screened cover. Band was still relatively unknown but I was a fan of their robo-funk sound. Especially the tracks "Crap Kraft Dinner" and "Down With Prince" (which is not on this early release but I also picked up as a 12"). Now goes for insane money. Pressing sounds great though.

IMG_2464.JPG

Last edited:
Day 3 - Prettiest Star
All because of what you are / The prettiest star
Marc Bolan played guitar on the original recording in 1970.
Play something with a ‘special guest’ or a 'collab' as the kids call it these days

Let's keep it Bowie.

Many folks don't know the guitarist on the 'Let's Dance' record is Stevie Ray Vaughan. SRV was set to play that tour but 'Texas Flood' exploded and he had his own touring to do.

There's a readily available bootleg out there of Serious Moonlight Tour rehearsals with Stevie Ray on guitar. Hint hint.......it's below...

David Bowie - Let's Dance

20220503_004447.jpg

Day 3 - Prettiest Star
All because of what you are / The prettiest star
Marc Bolan played guitar on the original recording in 1970.
Play something with a ‘special guest’ or a 'collab' as the kids call it these days

Vic Chesnutt -Little
(Photo copied from discogs, but playing the same version)

Vics first album and from all the collaboratoeurs he had on his albums over the years (jonathan richman, elf power, widespread panic, bob mould, lamchop, van dyke parks, bill frissell, guy picciotto...) this has probably his most famous collaborator: Michael Stipe produced and played keyboards on a couple of tracks. And except for this keyboard Vics Voice and guitar is all there is to hear on most of this album ( there is some fiddle and banjo on Stevie smith)

1651571668632.png

Day 1 - Lazarus

Art Pepper - Neon Art: Volume 3

Art Pepper had a very successful career in the 50's and early-60's, but several stints in San Quentin took him out of the game for most of the 60's and 70s. Fortunately, he came back with a vengeance at the end of his life to put out a lot of wicked music.

IMG_20220503_054911290.jpg

Day 1

Lazarus

Gordon had been an in demand sideman during the 40s and the hey day of bebop. The 50s saw him battle drug addiction and in& out of prison.

He re-emerged in the 60s to begin the first of three resurgences! Blue Note made him a leader of ensembles and he made some of the finest Hard Bop records with them.

This album comes from his second phase with Blue Note when he was primarily based in Europe.

View attachment 137546
Dexter Gordon - One Flight up
Looks like I unintentionally copied your Dexter Gordon rationale by posting Art Pepper; they both had second careers after drug-related prison sentences.

Back