May 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - A Crash Course for the Ravers

I don't remember the reviews being that bad for Pinkerton back then but, then again, I didn't really follow the music press in those days.
Even now, I tend to read reviews only after listening to an album.
I was a freshman in High School when Pinkerton dropped Rolling Stone and Spin were my bibles at the time, I found this write in Rolling Stone to shed some light on the critic review at the time.

Day 7 - I’m Waiting for the Man
Feel sick and dirty / more dead than alive
David recorded many covers over the years. Some to help a friend (Iggy Pop) and some because he loved the songs (Velvet Underground)
Play a cover

The Pixies covering The Jesus and Mary Chain's "Head On"

Pixies - Trompe Le Monde

24807D4F-0B40-414F-9015-F3CEC27D10FC.jpeg

I remember a lot of people being pissy about Pinkerton and I never understood it. I was never even a huge Weezer fan to begin with and I could see they were wrong.
The Blue album was a big record for me and my friends in Junior High and eagerly anticipated their follow up. We all immediately loved Pinkerton and thought the critics were way off base.

Day 14 - The Jean Genie
New York's a go-go and everything tastes right

Miles Davis - On the Corner

Recorded in New York. The music is chaotic, dense, rhythmic and at times abrasive. I’ve never been to NYC, but I imagine that this record captures what it feels like to be there on the busy streets.

235EDF76-1393-408C-AB15-BACB3F317DD5.jpeg

Day 15 - Brian Eno birthday May 15
Along with the Berlin trilogy, Eno helped produce 1. Outside. A cyber noir concept album with a government official investigating if a murder is an “art crime”.
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib – Piñata '74
20220515_091527.jpg

Lots of criminal activity throughout this album that was originally set to be called Cocaine Piñata!

Last edited:
Back