May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 12: I’ve Come To Wish You An Unhappy Birthday

One for the lolz. I’m 38 today and this is my second lockdown birthday! Help me wallow in growing older on my own and play me an album that you think I’ll hate!

Yazz Ahmed - La Saboteuse

A couple of days ago you said no jazz, so here's some birthday jazz.

20210511_165433.jpg

You asked for it...

Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms" (1985 Vertigo; 2015 MOFI 2x45 remaster)

There you go... in audiophile quality no less. Happy birthday Joe! 🎁

View attachment 99014

Cheers! It’s way past bed time and I’m not dropping off yet. Even imagining this should help 😂

I decided to look this up on Spotify and listen for fun but instead I am just confused. There were some very questionable choices made here. Some of which I don't think were intentional 😬

I've been planning to do the same once the kiddo's done with my speaker. Perversely, now I'm only more inclined to!

I decided to look this up on Spotify and listen for fun but instead I am just confused. There were some very questionable choices made here. Some of which I don't think were intentional 😬

They are deliberately named after a vibrator and so the album name is deliberate and the songs are deliberately sexually loaded and confrontational. I think the album was have been cack handedly written from the viewpoint of an anorexia sufferer too. They emerged as a sort of gobby confrontational punk ish band. They couldn’t back it up, the album was horrendous!

Day 11: Maturity
Charles Bradley-Changes

Not often do you see an artist first gain their popularity until they're in their 50s. Charles Bradley brought it all in his old age, though his time in the spotlight came to unfortunate ending not too long after.
View attachment 99028

Great rebounder in his time, too... wait... (As someone who was once a basketball-obsessed kid living in Arizona during the Barkley years, a part of my brain always reads his name wrong.)

DAY 12
(UN)HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Happiest of bdays to you @Joe Mac 🥳🥳🥳 I hope it is a fantastic one!!

Painkiller - Buried Secrets
I had a few different options to go with today's theme, you could probably guess by my JQBX plays some of my ideas 😂 but eventually I figured what could be worse than free jazz? Free jazz mixed with grindcore! It's everything you hate about jazz, but faster, louder and with a lot of screaming.
20210512_002138.jpg
This is the first track of their first EP, if you are morbidly curious and want to hear something that will absolutely ruin your morning

Ornette Coleman - Science Fiction (1972, Columbia)

PXL_20210512_055327742.jpg
As a newcomer around here, I don't know all the things you hate @Joe Mac but others have made it easy enough. Here ya go! Free jazz excursions, poetry, baby cries, wailing violin, it's all here for ya. Happy birthday !

Pairing this great heady album with a Belching Beaver Peanut Butter Milk Stout, which is definitely not Guinness. Hopefully you'd hate it too.
PXL_20210512_060530943.jpg

Back