May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 10: The Year of the Lockdown

So it’s been almost 14 months since the first lockdowns and here we are still in a restrictive full lockdown situation. Play me music that represents that feeling of isolation that the last year and a bit has confronted us with.

Washed Out - Mister Mellow
DBA32D55-03C7-4BBD-9097-856328615016.jpeg
I coped with the stress and anxiety brought upon by Covid (amongst other things) by just kinda checking out. I didn’t fight the isolation, I leaned into it. Days spent just chilling with my SO and the cat. Watching bad TV, getting caught up on Music, Books, and Movies I’d been neglecting, eating and drinking too much and TBH I’ve really enjoyed it.

I really need a proper copy of this in my life. Are good pressings readily found at this point by chance?
Mine is an RTI pressing and sounds great. The problem is there is no way to tell the difference between an RTI and MPO pressing without seeing the deadwax. I think @Turbo was trying to track one down if I remember correctly

Mine is an RTI pressing and sounds great. The problem is there is no way to tell the difference between an RTI and MPO pressing without seeing the deadwax. I think @Turbo was trying to track one down if I remember correctly

...and I was successful at getting an RTI. But I hear the MPO pressings are decent as well.

(EDIT: there's a series of posts about my adventures in the Definitive Audiophile Pressings thread, and additional comments from others, about how to tell a sealed RTI first issue from an MPO, but it boils down to a 2015 date, no indication it was "made in the EU", and not having the tell-tale 3-ring pressing mark from MPO, which is visible since the package allows you to see to the record - and lastly, you may actually be able to read some of the deadwax through there too)

Last edited:
Day 11: Maturity

Play an album by an artist who sounds every bit as good, if not better, in their golden years as they did in their youth

A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here…Thank You 4 Your Service
E979A106-B721-42BD-81FA-5B40BF001307.jpeg

I was thinking about a few artists that had long careers or late career revivals and yeah People like Neil Young, Bob Dylan, or Bruce Springsteen would all be passable to some extent, though none other recent output would ever be confused with their very best that isn’t he case for ATCQ’s late triumph. This album was not only better than it had any right to be especially when much of it was put together posthumously following Phife Dawg’s untimely passing. I am not bold enough to rank it higher than Low End Theory or Midnight Marauder but it’s on par with their debut album for sure. I doubt we get another Tribe album and that seems appropriate especially when getting this one turned out to be so fantastic. It’s alway nice to leave while you’re on top.

Day 12: I’ve Come To Wish You An Unhappy Birthday

Archie Shepp - Mama Too Tight

20210511_160841.jpg

My wife is generally very indulgent of my varied and sometimes extreme musical tastes and in return I keep the majority of my Sun Ra to whenever she's not home, or gone to bed. This one, however, holds the distinction of being the only record, free jazz or otherwise, that she has ever asked/told me to stop playing! And so I dedicate this spin to you, @Joe Mac

(un)HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Day 12: I’ve Come To Wish You An Unhappy Birthday

World clock says it's 00:03 at GMT+1 so: HAPPY BIRTHDAY @Joe Mac !!!!!

View attachment 99006

This was such a good pick as old timers from the VMP forum will know just how adversely I reacted to it right from the first note. It’s the least enjoyable vinyl record I’ve ever bought. I wont say worst because I respect, but disagree with, some of the prominent jazz heads on here and they tell me it’s good.

There is an album that could beat this though but I don’t think it’s on vinyl. The worst and least enjoyable album I ever bought was on CD in 2001 and is Vibrate You by King Adora. It was terrible beyond description. That said I doubt any of you have heard of it never mind own it!

Back