May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 12: I’ve Come To Wish You An Unhappy Birthday - One for the lolz. I’m 38 today and this is my second lockdown birthday! Help me wallow in growing older on my own and play me an album that you think I’ll hate!

Kanye West - Yeezus

It looks like everyone else has the Free Jazz covered haha Looking through your Discogs I only saw a couple hip-hop albums, and none of them were Kanye or of the particularly offensive variety. So I'm going to play an extremely offensive album, one that even his fans didn't like when it was released, by a very polarizing hip-hop artist that I'm guessing you hate. Happy Birthday @Joe Mac! Hope you hate it!;)

Day 12: I’ve Come To Wish You An Unhappy Birthday - One for the lolz. I’m 38 today and this is my second lockdown birthday! Help me wallow in growing older on my own and play me an album that you think I’ll hate!

Kanye West - Yeezus

It looks like everyone else has the Free Jazz covered haha Looking through your Discogs I only saw a couple hip-hop albums, and none of them were Kanye or of the particularly offensive variety. So I'm going to play an extremely offensive album, one that even his fans didn't like when it was released, by a very polarizing hip-hop artist that I'm guessing you hate. Happy Birthday @Joe Mac! Hope you hate it!;)

Hahaha! Yeah well played. I don’t like either Kanye or overly aggressive and/or purile hip hop. The stuff I do have tends to be more chilled and melodic from late 80s/90s.

Day 12: I’ve Come To Wish You An Unhappy Birthday

One for the lolz. I’m 38 today and this is my second lockdown birthday! Help me wallow in growing older on my own and play me an album that you think I’ll hate!

Happy Birthday! Scanning your discogs, I did not find any TVZ, plus this is an essential from that other record club.

Townes Van Zandt - For The Sake Of The Song

PXL_20210512_115728441.jpg

One for the lolz. I’m 38 today and this is my second lockdown birthday! Help me wallow in growing older on my own and play me an album that you think I’ll hate!

Happy Birthday! Scanning your discogs, I did not find any TVZ, plus this is an essential from that other record club.

Townes Van Zandt - For The Sake Of The Song

View attachment 99052

Do you know I honestly don’t know if I’d like this or not! I’ve never listened. I was still a member back then but skipped this month because I didn’t think it would be my thing!

Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

View attachment 99050

Probably the peak of VMP Essentials right here

Eugh so I don’t particularly like this album. But I ran this guess thread too. More dickhead clues. And then the forum closedown. Without a doubt one I’d rather forget.

Do you know I honestly don’t know if I’d like this or not! I’ve never listened. I was still a member back then but skipped this month because I didn’t think it would be my thing!

Eugh so I don’t particularly like this album. But I ran this guess thread too. More dickhead clues. And then the forum closedown. Without a doubt one I’d rather forget.
I had recalled that you weren’t fond of the pick, happy birthday!

Honestly, I thought you might like him. He's in a similar musical vein as Dylan and not too country.

Thr thing that turns me off country/country adjunct often isn’t the music unless it’s particularly hokey. It’s the vocal affectations or twang. If there’s even the slightest hint of twang I’m nearly always outta there.

Thr thing that turns me off country/country adjunct often isn’t the music unless it’s particularly hokey. It’s the vocal affectations or twang. If there’s even the slightest hint of twang I’m nearly always outta there.
I hear ya. TVZ does walk that twang line. He is a great story teller, though.

Father John Misty - Fear Fun
9C9E511C-EF81-44D7-B977-5EEB3B084CA7.jpeg
Your unbridled distain for the good father always perplexed me. Musically he is completely right up your alley based off other artist you adore and you love of Bowie and Dylan shows that you are open to the idea of personas. All I can conclude is FJM musta drank all your whisky and wine because the vitriol feels personal.
1A1A5212-6BAE-4DA3-9BA5-1B3E597AAA1F.gif

Anyways, Happy Birthday Champ! Hope you have a good one!

Day 12: Unhappy Birthday - One for the lolz. I’m 38 today and this is my second lockdown birthday! Help me wallow in growing older on my own and play me an album that you think I’ll hate!

From the "Why the hell do I even have this" stack. Smoooooooooth Jazz from 1980. Plenty of synth, electronic drums, and smooth guitar & funky but safe bass lines. And a clown on the cover. What's not to hate....

My favorite line from the youtube comments: "2 minutes in. I feel like I'm watching a commercial trying to get me to vacation in Miami in 1982. I like it."

Happy birthday @Joe Mac !

Spryo Gyra ~ Carnaval

1620839062928.png

Father John Misty - Fear Fun
View attachment 99087
Your unbridled distain for the good father always perplexed me. Musically he is completely right up your alley based off other artist you adore and you love of Bowie and Dylan shows that you are open to the idea of personas. All I can conclude is FJM musta drank all your whisky and wine because the vitriol feels personal.
View attachment 99090

Anyways, Happy Birthday Champ! Hope you have a good one!

I don't think it's *having* a persona so much as the persona itself. "Average self-important, faux-intellectual white dude you meet at any bar in your 20s" isn't a compelling persona. At least, not in a good way. Or maybe (definitely) I'm speaking for myself 😂

I don't think it's *having* a persona so much as the persona itself. "Average self-important, faux-intellectual white dude you meet at any bar in your 20s" isn't a compelling persona. At least, not in a good way. Or maybe (definitely) I'm speaking for myself 😂

No that’s exactly that and better elucidated that me. I’d have just said “dick head” as a persona rather than being a dick head still involves me having to listen to a dick head.

Yeah, what can I say, I find his trolling very amusing. His persona is basically that of a pre-shithead reveal Ryan Adams though because it’s mostly put upon FJM less likely to Threaten music critics or throw money at a heckler. I loved all that stuff too. Dickhead pretentious white male artists has been its own music category for as long as they been strapping on guitars. FJM just acknowledges it and leans in to it a bit.

I enjoy his shtick and sorry it rubs some folks the wrong way.

Back