May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 10: The Year of the Lockdown
So it’s been almost 14 months since the first lockdowns and here we are still in a restrictive full lockdown situation. Play me music that represents that feeling of isolation that the last year and a bit has confronted us with.

There are so many song titles on this record that fit into the last 14 months. And after all that, the album title probably sums everything up best...
  • 'Ocean Size' - the scope and scale of this situation.
  • 'Had A Dad' - and a mom, and a sister, and a brother, and on and on.
  • 'Ted (Cruz), Just Admit It' - Trump is another name that starts with T.
  • 'Standing In The Shower...Thinking' - how many hundreds of thousands of hours have we collectively spent doing this.
  • 'Idiots Rule' - the reason we're in this mess.

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking

20200606_021858.jpg

Last edited:
DAY 10
LOCKDOWN
Charli XCX - how i'm feeling now
Though 2020 was full of great albums, I think this will be the one I mainly associate with quarantine. Notable for being recorded and released during the lockdown, it was the first (that I know of) of many "quarantine albums" to come. As such, this album is essentially the soundtrack to having a dance party in your own room all alone because you can't go outside.
20210510_041113.jpg

Last edited:
Day 10: The Year of the Lockdown - So it’s been almost 14 months since the first lockdowns and here we are still in a restrictive full lockdown situation. Play me music that represents that feeling of isolation that the last year and a bit has confronted us with.

Nina Simone - Sings The Blues

So it’s been almost 14 months since the first lockdowns and here we are still in a restrictive full lockdown situation. Play me music that represents that feeling of isolation that the last year and a bit has confronted us with.

Harmony Woods ‎– Make Yourself At Home

Make yourself at home since you're not going anywhere....

PXL_20210510_120218589.jpg

Agnes Obel - Myopia

Obel's music always makes me feel like she is performing somewhere isolated, perhaps a forgotten mist-filled forest somewhere, wrapped not in loneliness but in solitude.

20201209_161132-jpg.79613

Caroline Rose "Loner" (2018 New West Records)

Floating around in a vacuum of space
Everything here it all looks the same
Like aisles and aisles of boxes and cans
Everything is just more of the same thing

IMG_1469.JPG

Day 8 (catchup): VE Day - 8th May 1945: Victory in Europe. Play an album that represents a triumph over adversity.

Kathleen went 8 years without releasing an album due to her disillusionment with it, and had quit the music industry to open a coffee shop (Quitters Coffee). I didn't think she was ever going to release an album or tour again, so getting this release last year was a total surprise. It sounds like someone whose worked (or is at least working through) their struggles and appreciating things for what they are.

Kathleen Edwards ~ Total Freedom

1620660655624.png

Day 10 - Year of the Lockdown

I’ve spent a lot of time with family, so I haven’t felt too isolated. Having a new a baby at the beginning of the pandemic was actually good timing, since we were pretty much going to be on lockdown regardless of the rest of the world.

The biggest thing for me has been missing friends. I’ve already spent time with some now that most of us are vaccinated. Lots to look forward to this summer.

F0068DA6-A0B1-42B7-9148-E5AC443B7EC3.jpeg

Catch-Up!

Day 9: VE Day
Kanye West-The College Dropout

"Through the Wire," and the whole fact that no one thought he could put out his own album and had trouble getting signed. Then he made my favorite hip hop album. Good thing he turned into such a humble dude!
20210510_110037.jpg

Day 10: No Jazz Sunday
Jethro Tull-Songs From The Wood

Can I at least play some flute?!?!
20210510_111120.jpg

Day 2: Difficult Second Album

Difficult shmificult...most people didn’t even realize there was an album before this one. Fungus amongus was a super fun album and more funky but this one is more concise and better produced. Plus it really launched their career. I saw them open for 311 in 1997 right before this album came out and I was blown away!!!

Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

8683ABAF-6A96-40B6-BAAB-64BEB9F0B0B3.jpeg

Day 4: May the Fouth Be With You

Since I have no Star Wars albums and I don’t know what fouth means...I’m going with a fourth album from a band. I had several to choose from but chose this one because I probably have only spun it the day I got it years upon years ago. Also cranked up the volume a few notches for this one.

Led Zeppelin - untitled, zoso, IV, whatever you want to call it.

35A09264-3776-47DB-A69C-9E3EC4F79E06.jpeg

Back