May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

Day 18: LGBT+ artist

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (DJM Records, 1973 First Pressing)

A killer album from the master here! I've always been a fan of Elton John and for years me and my girlfriend would listen to Bennie And The Jets on a playlist every time we drove, its such a jam! Lots of classic tracks on this album but there are also a few lesser-known ones which display his amazing songwriting. Brilliant stuff!

IMG_7037.JPG

Day 17: Happy 1 year birthday to CRJ’S Dedicated! Play a Poptart certified album

I'm not really a huge pop fan, and the stuff I do like I don't have on vinyl. But I would consider this a mostly pop album and certainly a masterpiece, even if I prefer her two preceding albums.

Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark

IMG_20200518_100040.jpg

Day 18: LGBT+ artist
Ani DiFranco - Red Letter Year (2007
)

View attachment 47578

Oh how I regret not buying all her other albums on vinyl... Maybe one day somebody will release Little Plastic Castle, that album is a fucking masterpiece.

YAS! Little Plastic Castles was hugely influential in my life when it came out. Hugely. I don't think she has released anything as good since then. But good lord, such an underappreciated lyricist and artist.

DAY 18 - LGBT+ ARTIST
Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues
A very special record to me. Hearing the title track for the first time was a huge deal, that song specifically was one of the first times I'd ever heard that struggle personified so directly, it was a very cathartic experience for me. It's crazy how music can provide so much solace in our times of need. This entire album is great, energetic and emotional and powerful punk rock. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

To make this particular record even more special, it was also a gift from @Jake! from last year's Secret Santa. Thanks again, homie! 😘
View attachment 47539

Couldn't be happier that I was able to be the one to give you this!! They're one of my favorite bands, and this is arguably their most important album. <3 Cheers, friend!

Day 18: LGBT+ Artist

Was going to go with Masseduction, but that's been chosen already and I'm glad it was. Going way back instead, I remember hearing this band on the radio and being impressed with the bravery of them tackling the subject matter they did at the time.

Bronski Beat ~ Age of Consent

View attachment 47592
IIRC they were the first band to include an HIV hotline phone number in their liner notes. And this was in the 1980s.

IIRC they were the first band to include an HIV hotline phone number in their liner notes. And this was in the 1980s.

I think that's what made this album / group seem so powerful to me at the time. Other artists hinted at it, but Smalltown Boy was the first time I had heard something definitively first person from an LGBT+ perspective.

YAS! Little Plastic Castles was hugely influential in my life when it came out. Hugely. I don't think she has released anything as good since then. But good lord, such an underappreciated lyricist and artist.

I actually like Ani's work post LPC better than her previous albums. Red Letter Year had all the brass of LPC again, and "Alla this" is just SOOOO good. Binary was also great, "Spider" is an amazing song that (of course) sounds better live. She has released a couple of boring crap (Addicted To Water is Valium) but when she's good, she just blows my mind.

Back