May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

It's all good gap. It's cool we had the same idea, though you wrote it out much better than I would have been able lol.

Day 13: An album that feels conversational
View attachment 46578

This album feels like a conversation on acid. Random questions to familiar feelings. Outbursts of thoughts and self battling demons. Great album.

Also this was one of the albums I listened to the first time I took lsd(not entirely related to why I picked it lol). Twas fun.

Catching up!

Day 14: Rated M for mature
15898563184457329078653500557854.jpg

I remember when this album came out. It was in the news everywhere about how it was going to corrupt the youth and blah blah blah, maybe you remember it too.

Day 19: Play an album that has been nominated or won AOTY at the Grammy’s

I've always felt The Grammys are mostly a joke. More about praising mass popularity and revenue production than actual artistic merit.

Here's a record from the class of 1981. Your winner that year - the self titled album by Christopher Cross.

This record just couldn't touch the deep musical complexity of 'Ride Like The Wind' and 'Sailing'.

Pink Floyd - The Wall

20200518_235610.jpg

Last edited:
DAY 19 - GRAMMYS
Adele - 21
Winning AOTY at the 2012 Grammys, this album was an enormous smash when it came out. Being alive that year and not hearing "Rolling in the Deep", "Someone Like You" or "Set Fire in the Rain" was nearly impossible. The hype over Adele at that time seemed to be largely for what she wasn't rather than she was; specifically she represented a departure in what was big in the pop music world at the time by being a throwback to more "traditional" music. However, as someone who loves pop music of all varieties, I didn't like Adele just because she wasn't Katy Perry or Kesha, I liked Adele because she wrote such great, emotionally cathartic lyrics and had the music to back them up. Even though it may have been a bit too hyped at the time, this is still a great album and is definitely one of the "big" albums of the 2010s. This is one of the albums I've owned on vinyl for the longest too, hence the damage to the cover. When I first started collecting, this was one of those albums that you were just kind of supposed to have in your collection (according to the trendsetters, I guess). I am happy to own it though.
20200518_224040.jpg

Catching up!

Day 14: Rated M for mature
View attachment 47719

I remember when this album came out. It was in the news everywhere about how it was going to corrupt the youth and blah blah blah, maybe you remember it too.

Day 15: An album that makes you laugh
15898719742604268559764262704251.jpg

I don't have any comedy albums, but this one always makes me smile and when I first heard Think Different, I though it had some funny lyrics.

Day 19 - Play an album that has been nominated or won AOTY at the Grammy’s

Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour

This one was used by someone else on a previous day, but I still had to use it today. I absolutely love everything about this album (and I may or may not have said it should be an AOTY contender in my post the summer before it won ;))

Day 19 Gramzies

Clapton and King - Riding with the King

Going through my albums like Press your Luck. No Grammy No Grammy No Grammy Stop. ( 80-90’s cats know what I’m talking about)
Luckily I was listening to this the other day and noticed the sticker on the front that it won Best Traditional Blues album in 2000. I always had a fondness for this one. It’s just two legendary players and all around cool dudes jamming out some blues together.
1B476A19-F240-4F15-AA17-93A0E4AF7997.jpeg

Paul Simon - Graceland

I believe these are the days of miracle and wonder.

For all the bad that is easy to focus on, this is still the best time to be alive. And if it’s not, we don’t know any better, so ignorance is bliss. Sometimes I have to take a step back from news and injustices that anger me to just focus on the beauty around me in the day to day. Music is, and has always been, one of the most important ways to do that. When putting on an album in my home....I am transported....maybe not to some far off place, but to another level of happiness. Of being. The music stops belonging to the musician the moment it’s out there in the world and becomes part of each person that hears it.

This album just makes me happy, nostalgic, warm, innocent. It’s albums like these that strip me of the unbearable weight of being human.

I’ve reason to believe we all will be received in Graceland.
Graceland.
A18252CD-4130-4089-B667-0643E37AF44D.jpeg

I guess I am not into popular music, so here's a winner of alt-music. I hope it counts :)

57th Annual Grammy Awards, 2015
Winner Alternative Music Album

St. Vincent - St. Vincent

IMG_20200519_075045.jpg

Day 19: Grammy's... And the winner is.... It's a tie!!!

1B19EDC6-3CCB-4D47-BBC2-A239B68EC902.jpeg

Outkast "Speakerboxxx/The Love Below"

This is 2 very different records! Not the best Outkast record (IMHO) but this is the Grammy's and they aren't known for nailing it yearly! I still like this record but rarely listen to the whole thing, it's a little too much!

The Fugees - The Score

Weirdly I don't think I actually have any albums that won AOTY at the Grammys, apart from one of my brother's records I have here that I need for the final day. Been meaning to pick up Graceland and Raising Sand forever. Have a bunch of nominees, though, like this one in 1997.

IMG_20200519_092344.jpg

Back