May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

Day 17: Happy 1 year birthday to CRJ’S Dedicated! Play a Poptart certified album

Yep, I am a huge dork, but I couldn't resist after not getting out of the house for like a year...

P!nk - Try This

IMG_20200518_131918.jpg

Oh yeah, I haven't eaten a pop tart since maybe 20 years ago? They're pretty good!

Day 18 - LGBT+ artist

I got to talk with Lindsey after she opened for Waxahatchee. I had no idea who she was but was blown away by her show. I told her she’d fit right in on the early 90s Matador roster with Liz Phair and Bettie Serveert (unsurprisingly they were influences). A couple months later, the hype train started and she actually signed to Matador! I’m excited to see where her career takes her - also, typing this makes me miss live music even more.

8204E0F6-0AD3-45CC-8F15-5B7D27508C64.jpeg

Day 18: LGBT+ artist

Tunde Olaniran ‎– Transgressor

Tunde opened for Sleigh Bells at a local venue about three years ago. Incredible voice, and great message.
The banner reads:
This is a safe space.
No Albleism
No Shaming
No Fatphobia
No Femmephobia
No Transphobia
No Racism
No Sexism

IMG_20170318_213407682.jpgIMG_20200518_141342.jpg

View attachment 47563
Day 18: LGBTQ
Nina Simone / Mood Indigo: The Complete Bethlehem Singles w/ bonus 45.

I know she had a rather large gay following, but I also thought her beliefs on gay people caused her to be indifferent to them...?

Team Dresch - Personal Best
Chainsaw / Candy-Ass Records, 1995

Political punks outta the Pacific NW. They stood up for the right things twenty-five years ago, before it became a little easier or even fashionable to do so.

This is a band that matters.

View attachment 47584
View attachment 47585
View attachment 47586

DAMMIT this was going to be my pick too!

... It's 24 minutes long, I'll listen to it anyway.

Day 18 - LGBT+ artist

I got to talk with Lindsey after she opened for Waxahatchee. I had no idea who she was but was blown away by her show. I told her she’d fit right in on the early 90s Matador roster with Liz Phair and Bettie Serveert (unsurprisingly they were influences). A couple months later, the hype train started and she actually signed to Matador! I’m excited to see where her career takes her - also, typing this makes me miss live music even more.

View attachment 47615

I was going to pick this one, you beat me to it, haha! Excellent choice.

Day 18: LGBTQ

Legião Urbana - Dois

One of the key Brazilian rock bands from the 80s. Lead singer Renato Russo died of AIDS in the mid-90s. For those who don’t know Portuguese this probably sounds like a poor man’s version of The Smiths. But if you can understand the lyrics, there is some powerful stuff in there. “Tempo Perdido” and “Eduardo e Monica” are pure poetry.

A877DF9F-5965-4EAA-8A7B-BCC95927A841.jpeg

I’d never heard of this band until I met my wife and we saw them in a tiny venue. I was instantly enamored with the lead singer, Jonny Pierce. At this point him and Jacob Graham were the only original members. Perfect blend of indie, surf, and jangle pop. Although Jonny is the only remaining original member and their sound has fluctuated, this album remains perfect.

7463DA8F-0E56-44A7-A286-E0164C5E8369.jpeg

第十六天:that's the longest thing I've ever heard

Yndi Halda ~ enjoy eternal bliss

IMG_20200518_212204.jpg

One of my favorite post rock albums, it sends you through so many emotions all without a single word sung. At 65mins this EP is nothing sort of glorious and with a name like that how could you not want to sit back and let them take you on a blissful ride

Back