Mark de Clive-Lowe: Ask Me Anything

it's fairly well documented online, but long story short (my fingers are getting typed out!) - my dad forced all 3 of us to learn musical instruments, so i was on piano from age 4. i got into jazz through his record collection and my big brother's own jazz piano interest; then hip hop via new jack swing in high school - guy, native tongues hip hop, public enemy; then back into jazz via the movie mo better blues - INCREDIBLE tunes on there; - music was always there for me and something i did, i never really questioned what i was going to be when i grew up. my last year of high school in japan was the decisive factor tho - going to tokyo and yokohama jazz clubs all the time sealed the deal :)
thanks for answering; I have just learned about you through @Skalap so I hadn't looked up anything besides the Heritage albums. I really love your style from the Heritage albums, but I am sucker for piano based Jazz
and. a hot dog. is a sandwich.
correct answer!

Just wanted to thank you Mark for doing this AMA and for being you and for giving back to this wonderful world with your beautifully inspired music.

Hope to catch you live soon and thank you again for taking the time out of your day to respond thoughtfully and thoroughly to everyone’s question. It’s lovely.

Would love to see you pop up again on these forums in the future but would completely understand if not. :)

Love & Light ❤✌

important silly question for sure so i'm down :) the truth tho is that the people i get to create with now are the perfect lineup in every situation. but, if i was to let the imagination run wild for a bit....

sax: wayne shorter, pharoah sanders
trumpet: miles, marcus belgrave
additional keys: herbie hancock, kenny kirkland
bass: mingus, jaco
drums: elvin jones, tony allen, jack dejohnette
percussion: don alias, airto
backing vocals: stevie, d'angelo, kim burrell
MC: q-tip

yes. i put them all on BACKING vocals. lol.
That rhythm section, holy shit

Hey guys, I posted a clip of Heritage playing on my Instagram story yesterday with info for the AMA. I also posted a screenshot of Marks reply to my question. He shared that story on his story and over the night I have had 3 separate people (who I have never met) message me to ask about the forum and how it works.

So big up @Skalap and @Captainfog for expanding the N&G community. It’s getting bigger and better everyday!

Hey guys, I posted a clip of Heritage playing on my Instagram story yesterday with info for the AMA. I also posted a screenshot of Marks reply to my question. He shared that story on his story and over the night I have had 3 separate people (who I have never met) message me to ask about the forum and how it works.

So big up @Skalap and @Captainfog for expanding the N&G community. It’s getting bigger and better everyday!

Invite them to join :)

oooh - great question! tbh, i dont know of any albums that are similar. not saying that from a perspective of ego, i just really dont. but related to my own musical dna... check the list of my favorite albums i posted on another reply - keith jarrett's american quartet is definitely one to check (survivor's suite, death and the flower). there's also a really strong link between japanese and ethiopian traditional music - my piece 'the silk road' is about that - the scales used in traditional music from those two countries are not just similar - they're IDENTICAL. i put that down to art and culture traveling the silk road of old. so in saying that, check Tsegué-Maryam Guèbrou's Ethiopiques, Vol. 21 and music by the godfather of ethiopian jazz, Mulatu Atstatke.

also (i'm biased) recommending the ronin arkestra EP 'first meeting' (where you can also hear an earlier version of Silk Road)

some japanese artists who may be of interest:

jazztronik
sleepwalker
kyoto jazz sextet
soil and pimp sessions
cro-magnon
wonk

enjoy!

Hey y'all, I just want to point that Jazztronik is Ryota Nozaki's band, the same person behind Musilogue label :

So, who wants more?

Back