Mark de Clive-Lowe: Ask Me Anything

@Mark de Clive-Lowe echoing other thanks for coming on, I would like to know how you got into playing music, what kick off your passion for creating music?
it's fairly well documented online, but long story short (my fingers are getting typed out!) - my dad forced all 3 of us to learn musical instruments, so i was on piano from age 4. i got into jazz through his record collection and my big brother's own jazz piano interest; then hip hop via new jack swing in high school - guy, native tongues hip hop, public enemy; then back into jazz via the movie mo better blues - INCREDIBLE tunes on there; - music was always there for me and something i did, i never really questioned what i was going to be when i grew up. my last year of high school in japan was the decisive factor tho - going to tokyo and yokohama jazz clubs all the time sealed the deal :)

What are some of your favorite electronic albums? Maybe one's that have inspired you or just ones you think we might have overlooked.

off the top...

carl craig - innerzone orchestra
afronaut - shaping fluid
roni size - reprazent
goldie - timeless
photek - modus operandi
neon phusion - the future aint the same as it used 2 be

Late edit... can’t stop playing the new Rejoicer EP Heavy Smoke !!

Last edited:
essential. today was cereal - granola and oats with almonds and pumpkin seeds, diced apple, nectarine, blueberries and almond yogurt + a matcha latte :)
DELIGHTFUL. A sumptuous blend of flavors infused with an eastern flair, much like your music.
Thank you for answering my silly question, also now I want all of these things... Also I thought you should know that I went to buy Heritage I and II from Juno.uk this week and the lunatics on this forum beat me to it and sold them out of both of them...

it's fairly well documented online, but long story short (my fingers are getting typed out!) - my dad forced all 3 of us to learn musical instruments, so i was on piano from age 4. i got into jazz through his record collection and my big brother's own jazz piano interest; then hip hop via new jack swing in high school - guy, native tongues hip hop, public enemy; then back into jazz via the movie mo better blues - INCREDIBLE tunes on there; - music was always there for me and something i did, i never really questioned what i was going to be when i grew up. my last year of high school in japan was the decisive factor tho - going to tokyo and yokohama jazz clubs all the time sealed the deal :)
I've always wanted to go to Japan and one of the main factors is to visit some Jazz Kissaten. They look amazing and the Japanese music/vinyl culture seems fantastic and super respectful the artists.

Right everyone, I think we're coming to the end here, no more questions! We don't want to wear out Marks piano fingers and we've already gone way over the time.

THANKYOU so much, Mark. You've been a complete legend doing this. It's been such great fun!!!
In that case I want to give a big thanks to @Mark de Clive-Lowe for a fantastic AMA for the inaugural ROTM. Super great replies, really detailed and entertaining!

And big thanks to @Skalap for choosing Heritage, and to @Captainfog for organising and running this AMA. Great work guys!

Dream 'Band from The Beyond'? Who would have featured in the perfect line up?
important silly question for sure so i'm down :) the truth tho is that the people i get to create with now are the perfect lineup in every situation. but, if i was to let the imagination run wild for a bit....

sax: wayne shorter, pharoah sanders
trumpet: miles, marcus belgrave
additional keys: herbie hancock, kenny kirkland
bass: mingus, jaco
drums: elvin jones, tony allen, jack dejohnette
percussion: don alias, airto
backing vocals: stevie, d'angelo, kim burrell
MC: q-tip

yes. i put them all on BACKING vocals. lol.

Right everyone, I think we're coming to the end here, no more questions! We don't want to wear out Marks piano fingers and we've already gone way over the time.

THANKYOU so much, Mark. You've been a complete legend doing this. It's been such great fun!!!

@Mark de Clive-Lowe, thank you again! It was a real pleasure to have you here with us. You gave us all great replies and I, myself, have quite a long list of stuff to listen now so thank you! You are welcome to come visit us whenever you want :)

Thank you all for your your participation, your questions and reactions! Thank you very much @Captainfog! Great job!

Another question: the next Rugby World Cup is to be held in Japan from September to November. Being half Japanese and half New Zealander, which country will you support ?

And a last one: any plan to play in Paris soon?
LOL. the japanese team may well feature NZers and possibly be coached by one ( i havent looked into it yet). i'll support japan throughout as the underdog, but NZ for the win. there can be only one.

Thanks will certainly try that list out and keep an eye out for UK dates !

Edit : Mmm 2Aug your in Italy. I'm looking for an August holiday location, my wife is part Italian, we love Italy.....

that show is going to be DUMB fun. the festival (Fat Fat Fat) has one of the best electronic lineups possible and our show is going to be a special one, and the start of a whole new project - Shigeto x MdCL feat Melanie Charles

and. a hot dog. is a sandwich.

end of discussion ;) lol

thank you all for the questions and your interest. for those interested, the best way to keep up with me is probably instagram.com/markdeclivelowe (if the damn algorithms will show you my posts!) and if you want to keep in the know, sign up to the email list at MdCL.tv

there's more to come this year - hopefully something for everyone!

have a great week and will try to stop by N&G when i can

peace!

and. a hot dog. is a sandwich.

end of discussion ;) lol

giphy.gif

Back