March 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread - Here It Goes Again

MARCH 3
DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH
Play an album you love from a band or genre you usually don't like.

Huge jazz fan. The fusion offshoot - not so much. But how can you deny this group of virtuosos and Birdland. Also the free swingin' 70s when Erskine let his fur flag fly...

Weather Report - Heavy Weather

20220303_001546.jpg

MARCH 1
WHERE IT ALL BEGAN
Pay respects to the early pioneers by playing an album that you don't think the history of music would be the same without.

Pretty much the beginning of "post-punk"

Television ‎– Marquee Moon
Elektra ‎– 7E-1098, 1977

Cut at Sterling
Pressed at Columbia, Santa Maria

HfzEav.jpg

OLdTho.jpg

March 3
DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH
Play an album from a band or genre that you usually don't like.

Nicole Atkins - Goodnight Rhonda Lee [signed]

16462939461514305892646951904302.jpg

Not one to engage with Americana and related genres often, but I absolutely love this one thanks to Teeeee. Nicole's stellar in concert, too.

March 3
DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH
Play an album from a band or genre that you usually don't like.
never been a fan of this band can't quite put my finger on it however I streamed it with an open mind to give it a go & I Like this album a lot
20220302_215954.jpg

MARCH 3
DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH

I can play this or anything from them prior to the mid-70's stuff...once they go Disco, I just can't do it.

Bee Gees – Bee Gees' 1st
Atco Records – SD 33-223, 1967/1968

Pressed at RCA Records Pressing Plant, Indianapolis

N0fzQx.jpg

j23EN2.jpg

This is actually their 3rd album, but first released internationally. Their first 2 were only released in Australia and New Zealand.

If you want something in the vain of Beatles/Pet Sounds/Hollies/Moody Blues of the time...I do recommend giving this a listen.

Last edited:
MARCH 3
DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH

Not usually a country music fan, but I have a few in my collection. Here's a good one.

Margo Price – That's How Rumors Get Started

PXL_20220303_152802525.jpg

Incidentally, are Margo Price and Kendra Morris the same person? I'm not starting a rumor or anything! LOL
PXL_20220226_170802431.NIGHT.jpg

Day 03: DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH

Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You
8BBF35D3-5648-4C13-8744-12BBB6EE7C5B.jpeg
The charm of Big Thief was lost on me until the release of their latest LP. Not sure if it will bloom into a full fledged fandom or if it’ll just be a one off kinda thing but Dragon New Warm Mountain… is an absolutely charming record.

Day 03: DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH

Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You
View attachment 130947
The charm of Big Thief was lost on me until the release of their latest LP. Not sure if it will bloom into a full fledged fandom or if it’ll just be a one off kinda thing but Dragon New Warm Mountain… is an absolutely charming record.

Their earlier stuff didn't do much for me either beyond a couple of songs, but I put this on last night and was absolutely floored.

MARCH 3
DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH

Electronica is not something I normally search out, primarily because I don't know where to start I suppose. This got posted in a monthly challenge thread a while ago and hit the right spot with me. Perfect background music for working. Feel free to hit me up with recommendations similar to it. Or I could hit the electronica thread too...

Kelly Lee Owens ~ Inner Song

1646332790676.png

Day 3: DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH

Calvin Harris - Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1

5B1D2A11-77F9-4A93-B031-1E3496A89DC1.jpeg

I don’t care for most of Calvin’s discography outside of this album, before or after, but this is a pretty great record. And yeah, I’ll admit it’s mostly thanks to the genre shift from EDM to funk/disco/boogie/R&B.

Last edited:

Calvin Harris - Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1

View attachment 130953

I don’t care for most of Calvin’s discography outside of this album, before or after, but this is a pretty great record. And yeah, I’ll admit it’s mostly thanks to the genre shift from EDM to funk/disco/boogie/R&B.

Same here. Only Calvin Harris record I've ever had time for and it's quite great. Excellent guest list on there too.

Hip-hop man. Like. I want to like it - I think lyrically hip-hop artists, rappers in particular, often have some of the most interesting, hard hitting takes in music and a ton of musical talent behind it. My ears just don't often go with it. Usually I only gravitate to it when it's an undeniable masterpiece (like Kanye's MBDTF, too bad he's who he is otherwise) or there's other dominant elements in it that offset it.

However, for whatever reason, Doomtree catches me. I think it's the collective aspect of it all - the seven piece group all bring different little strengths in terms of flow, style, and substance so it never really ever gets one-note - if there's a verse I'm not loving it'll be someone different in 30 seconds. Kind of the Tik-Tok of Hip-Hop. Dessa was my gateway drug her and her legitimate singing voice and totally different presence do elevate it all, but it's just a great energy. I picked up the last two of their main release albums I was missing on a Discogs sale so let's spin one today

Doomtree - All Hands

PXL_20220303_222926772.MP.jpg

Back