Magnolia Record Club

I'm going to pause instead of swap, I've already swapped three of the last four. I love Magnolia's catalog, which I think I said here before, but now that I've gotten through a lot of the stuff I want via swaps it's probably time to pause and re-think if this is the right club for me.

It's hard to justify a cancellation on a month to month only because skips are unlimited and don't charge you for them, but yeah, I've been debating just cutting the cord and putting my money towards Secretly or just towards curating my own goodies.

I paused my subscription. They told me that ROTM and store titles are shipped from two different places so manual swaps are out. That is ok I'll spend that money on Bandcamp Friday and not on a 2nd copy of Thad Cockrell. This whole year has just been very perplexing to me by Magnolia. So many records upcoming that could be great ROTM's and they are store exclusives. Looking at you Lucy Dacus and Anderson East. I hate to say it but VMP's country track is impressing me a lot more than anything that Magnolia is doing thes days. Have a feeling that VMP will have a VNE exclusive on Wednesday so that will only solidfy things. Do you ever ask yourself how do they decide ROTM's? Is is just one dude's personal taste when it isn't a Label title?

Drew sold it to Dualtone. They say that artists select the ROTM’s but I kind of have a hard time believing that.
I had a hard time believing that they did before too. (Well I believe he did it.). The official line was the club got too big and has handed fulfillment to Dualtone.

I was a member of Dualtone's VinylDen, it was so much better than this in my opinion.
I agree which is also why I’m reticent to say it was sold wholesale. I think there is a very different approach to curation that shows Magnolia is still in its essence Magnolia. It’s possible that the fold was a way to make a more Dualtone centric approach have a better look but the curation doesn’t really feel any different from Magnolia than it did.

The Cockrell choice and just general dissatisfaction may just have to do with growing pains. I see some similarities to things VMP did five or so years ago. I think Magnolia has done some things right and some things wrong.

VinylDen is how I got here.

So I skipped April and just got a shipping notice. So this will be fun.
I paused two days ago and got a shipping notice yesterday for the swap I did of Mt Joy over Manchester O. So that worked how I hoped it would. Hopefully you get it straightened out.

If any of you are willing to part with the Gregory Alan Isakov - Evening Machines (white color) let me know. I think it was a store exclusive.

So a little more info on the Mouserat release. Not on Magnolia/Dualtone's pages (yet) but on Mouse Rat's page. It's a Tribute to Li'l Sebastian with a 5000 Candles in the Wind title at the top. Given Mouse Rat the band does have nine songs it could just be a straight covers album of that. Which I'd be pretty on board for. There is expansion potential with Johnny Karate, the theme, Bo Burnham's song, etc. if they were so inclined - given the track lengths they may have to.

Also, Magnolia Rewards. Had my first purchase on there yesterday. I think they'll add points in on prior to fulfillment of the order (I have an unfulfilled order from yesterday but the points are added in already), This probably means that if you have a free shipping code or day, it may be worth it to split up orders to get the points and then you can apply the discount if you reach a 100 point mark.

Last edited:
Has Manchester Orchestra arrived for anyone? I’m certain I got shipping notice on the third.
A fun aspect of Magnolia being so close to Old Hickory/Memphis USPS is that packages will go on week long vacays hanging out in the warehouse. That seemed to happen to nearly everyone with Manchester Orchestra. My cancelled but shipped one is in the Memphis stage now.

A fun aspect of Magnolia being so close to Old Hickory/Memphis USPS is that packages will go on week long vacays hanging out in the warehouse. That seemed to happen to nearly everyone with Manchester Orchestra. My cancelled but shipped one is in the Memphis stage now.

Nothing beats my tracking for my Bandbox subscription from last month. Mind you, I live in Tennessee.

1620931944424.png

Back