Magnolia Record Club

In regards to March, I would have bet on LSD or Valerie June for March if they didn't give us a variant and discovery track assignment already so I'm stumped.

Looking through VInyl Release Dates in that range bring up a slew of "close but not quite" candidates to me: not big enough, not aligned with the labels/allies, already having their own releases well plotted out, genre is a bit too far off. etc. Things like Sturgill Vol 2, Ben Howard, Julian Lennon, Boise Cover Band, Loretta Lynn, Morgan Wade, Steve Earle, Butch Walker, Kelsey Waldon, The Wood Brothers, A.A. Williams. I'll be very interested to see what they come up with (or someone here will nail it).

I think the would have told us about Sturgill. I’d love to get some Ben Howard for this cheap. Julian doesn’t seem likely. They did a variant of the Earle. I’m okay with that list though.

I think I'm swapping this month's record for I'm With Her, anybody else have this record? I really like Sara Watkins and just heard Sarah Jarosz on the Spotify Singles record.

I think I'm swapping this month's record for I'm With Her, anybody else have this record? I really like Sara Watkins and just heard Sarah Jarosz on the Spotify Singles record.

Sure do- three copies of it for no good reason. Just really solid album throughout. Full of great harmonies, instrumentation, and enough harkening to their roots without going too far to the roots, serves as a good midpoint between Watkins and Jarosz musically (Aoife's voice steals the show on a couple tracks though). It's one I spin fairly frequently. I'd say of the swaps I have, that or Reunions (Isbell) are my favorite. The only downside is that it's generally a reasonably priced album to acquire but musically it's a gem (and you're saving money on the back end if you do the add-on vs. ordering it alone)

(Actually, lots of interesting swaps this month. I may need to give the Rhiannon Giddens, Ruston Kelly, Shakey Graves, first Lumineers, a good listen before skipping...)

Sure do- three copies of it for no good reason. Just really solid album throughout. Full of great harmonies, instrumentation, and enough harkening to their roots without going too far to the roots, serves as a good midpoint between Watkins and Jarosz musically (Aoife's voice steals the show on a couple tracks though). It's one I spin fairly frequently. I'd say of the swaps I have, that or Reunions (Isbell) are my favorite. The only downside is that it's generally a reasonably priced album to acquire but musically it's a gem (and you're saving money on the back end if you do the add-on vs. ordering it alone)

(Actually, lots of interesting swaps this month. I may need to give the Rhiannon Giddens, Ruston Kelly, Shakey Graves, first Lumineers, a good listen before skipping...)
Cool, thanks for sharing some thoughts on it.
I swapped Langhorne for Shakey last month. I am not sure how long I'll stay in the club, as I haven't connected with their aotms much, but I love the store/catalog they offer. And the Andrew Bird add-on was a no-brainer for me.

Cool, thanks for sharing some thoughts on it.
I swapped Langhorne for Shakey last month. I am not sure how long I'll stay in the club, as I haven't connected with their aotms much, but I love the store/catalog they offer. And the Andrew Bird add-on was a no-brainer for me.

I'm half staying in now for access to the discovery track and the member only pre-sales/opportunities. The skipping capability for the $27 subscription really helps with that. If it were a "you have to choose an album" type subscription I'd probably be out too and just procure what I want via other means.

I'm half staying in now for access to the discovery track and the member only pre-sales/opportunities. The skipping capability for the $27 subscription really helps with that. If it were a "you have to choose an album" type subscription I'd probably be out too and just procure what I want via other means.
The aotms have been disappointing lately...there are some great albums in the store the should have been aotms

I signed up for this club today because I was going to purchase the Wesley Schultz album from Dualtone and saw I could get it cheaper with free shipping as part of the club. I seem to be in the minority because I absolutely love this album and have been listening to it non-stop for a month or so now, but it looks like a lot of you guys weren't happy with the pick.

I checked out previous picks and am excited this album led me to checking out the club because I really like a lot of the choices!

I signed up for this club today because I was going to purchase the Wesley Schultz album from Dualtone and saw I could get it cheaper with free shipping as part of the club. I seem to be in the minority because I absolutely love this album and have been listening to it non-stop for a month or so now, but it looks like a lot of you guys weren't happy with the pick.

I checked out previous picks and am excited this album led me to checking out the club because I really like a lot of the choices!

I have no problem necessarily with the Wesley album, I just wish Magnolia would not do most Dualtone titles as Records of The Month like they currently do. First two records of this year are Dualtone releases, they good news is that there aren't any more Dualtone releases on the immediate horizon other than Shovels and Rope Busted Jukebox 3 which is a store exclusive and not a record of the month. This is why I appreciate the artist discovery portion of the club a little more.

I have no problem necessarily with the Wesley album, I just wish Magnolia would not do most Dualtone titles as Records of The Month like they currently do. First two records of this year are Dualtone releases, they good news is that there aren't any more Dualtone releases on the immediate horizon other than Shovels and Rope Busted Jukebox 3 which is a store exclusive and not a record of the month. This is why I appreciate the artist discovery portion of the club a little more.

That makes sense. So is there a connection between Magnolia and Dualtone? Is Magnolia Dualtone's record club?

That makes sense. So is there a connection between Magnolia and Dualtone? Is Magnolia Dualtone's record club?
Dualtone took over operations like two years ago.

I came to Magnolia when Dualtone dissolved their Vinyl Den Club a few years back.

Magnolia has been a better club over all. Although Dualtone did throw freebies at its members about twice a year and I miss that.

I mean I get the Dualtone fatigue for sure. I do have to say I was presently surprised by III, and Piano Piano pretty much blew me away, so I’m optimistic about the Schultz record. I do try to keep an open mind even when the main pick is less than exciting.

I mean I get the Dualtone fatigue for sure. I do have to say I was presently surprised by III, and Piano Piano pretty much blew me away, so I’m optimistic about the Schultz record. I do try to keep an open mind even when the main pick is less than exciting.

Looks like we are going to get another Dualtone release next month too.

Back