Live Music Is Better - The Taper's Thread

Was thinking about Lou and dug this show out I taped at Ovens Auditorium in Charlotte, NC back in '89. This was my 2nd of 3 Lou shows I got to see in my lifetime.

The 'New York' tour was pretty damn great...

Here's Strawman. Lou changes the cadence of the chorus a bit with the band handling the 'Strawman' and he taking the next line...

Here's s fun little cover by The Chris Robinson Brotherhood. Taped this at my second time seeing the band at The Orange Peel in 2012. Made famous by Three Dog Night but actually written by Hoyt Axton. Hoyt wrote some incredible songs, some in tandem with his mom, Mae. I think Steppenwolf did the best interpretations of two of his tunes written about his struggle with drug addiction - The Pusher and Snowblind Friend. Plus, he was the dad in Gremlins...

Old tapers never die. They just, well, keep taping. This one is hot off the deck...

I recorded Drivin' N' Cryin' on Saturday night, roughly 34 years after the first time I taped them. I'm still out there doing it and so is Kevn Kinney and company.

They've consistently been around and been consistently great. This show was dark. And that was a good thing. The way the band lent a more ominous tone to many of the DnC classics resulted in me taking on a whole new interpretation of and appreciation for many of the songs, This was the first time I'd seen the band with Laur Joamets on guitar. He's a firecracker. I knew him from playing with Sturgill but Kevn's songs give him a broader pallet to stretch out. He was comfortable delivering everything from power crunch to oddly tuned psychedelia to slide. His ability to bring texture to the songs had me thinking about the Luther Dickinson comparison more than a few times during the show.

If you were a DnC fan or if they're new to you, go see them live. It's a great experience.

Here are a couple highlights from a 2+ hour show...

Here's a totally reinvented DnC song...

Here's one that still rocks...

Last edited:
Old tapers never die. They just, well, keep taping. This one is hot off the deck...

I recorded Drivin' N' Cryin' on Saturday night, roughly 34 years after the first time I taped them. I'm still out there doing it and so is Kevn Kinney and company.

They've consistently been around and been consistently great. This show was dark. And that was a good thing. The way the band lent a more ominous tone to many of the DnC classics resulted in me taking on a whole new interpretation of and appreciation for many of the songs, This was the first time I'd seen the band with Laur Joamets on guitar. He's a firecracker. I knew him from playing with Sturgill but Kevn's songs give him a broader pallet to stretch out. He was comfortable delivering everything from power crunch to oddly tuned psychedelia to slide. His ability to bring texture to the songs had me thinking about the Luther Dickinson comparison more than a few times during the show.

If you were a DnC fan or if they're new to you, go see them live. It's a great experience.

Here are a couple highlights from a 2+ hour show...

Here's a totally reinvented DnC song...

Here's one that still rocks...

I ended up posting the entire Drivin' N' Cryin' Asheville show, so I killed the links to the two samples. The whole enchilada is below. Play it loud...

Ran across this one on ye olde drive and had kinda forgotten about.

Rob Mazurek & Black Cube SP playing an art museum back in 2015. Taped this one from the back on the down low but it settles in quite nicely. The band just drifts in and starts with a lot of percussion, plays for an hour, pick back up with the percussion and drift off with a chant.

@avecigrec and @Selaws might dig this. Hey @Angsty - you're our Charlotte jazz guy - were you at this show?

Ran across this one on ye olde drive and had kinda forgotten about.

Rob Mazurek & Black Cube SP playing an art museum back in 2015. Taped this one from the back on the down low but it settles in quite nicely. The band just drifts in and starts with a lot of percussion, plays for an hour, pick back up with the percussion and drift off with a chant.

@avecigrec and @Selaws might dig this. Hey @Angsty - you're our Charlotte jazz guy - were you at this show?

No - I missed that one.

Here’s a photo from Warren Wolf, vibraphonist, last night.

IMG_8188.jpeg

Saw Dinosaur Jr. a couple nights ago in a room roughly the size of a 10-car garage.

Took a friend. Their first Dino Jr. show.

Offered up a pair of earplugs. They declined.

A few songs in, they were forced to retreat and regroup.

That's how you learn with Dino Jr.

Here's the recording. 'Out There'...

Saw Dinosaur Jr. a couple nights ago in a room roughly the size of a 10-car garage.

Took a friend. Their first Dino Jr. show.

Offered up a pair of earplugs. They declined.

A few songs in, they were forced to retreat and regroup.

That's how you learn with Dino Jr.

Here's the recording. 'Out There'...

@Viking Dan - your avatar told my avatar to make sure you saw this.

Taped this about 4 hours ago and it needs to be heard immediately...

Rose City Band - Burial Brewing South Slope, Asheville, NC 9-10-23 - 'Wee Hours > Wildflower'

A pretty smokin' capture. You can see my mic placement on the right-hand side of the pic...

20230910_195044.jpg

Support Rose City Band by attending their shows and buying their music and merchandise.

Enjoy and pass it on...

Last edited:
Our old friend notsogabe (I think that was their username?) recorded Nolan Potter a week or so back and Nolan used the recording to make some extra cash while out on the road.

Outstanding seeing taper love from an artist.

Snug Harbour is a really difficult room to tape in. Recorded there once - my old pals Lee Bains III & the Glory Fires - and set up in 3 different spots. Used a mixdown of all 3 sources to pull their different attributes together...

Not only is the Warren Haynes Xmas Jam a great event supporting Habitat For Humanity, this marathon show embraces taping and always features totally unexpected collaborations/covers during the ensuing 8 hours...

The first one came totally out of left field a mere 30 minutes in courtesy of American Babies and Warren Haynes. I wish @Lee Newman and @jamieanderson1968 had been standing beside me...

Not only is the Warren Haynes Xmas Jam a great event supporting Habitat For Humanity, this marathon show embraces taping and always features totally unexpected collaborations/covers during the ensuing 8 hours...

The first one came totally out of left field a mere 30 minutes in courtesy of American Babies and Warren Haynes. I wish @Lee Newman and @jamieanderson1968 had been standing beside me...

That’s fucking awesome.

I'm gonna fire up the Vol. 20 Blu-ray today. Love this!

Back