Live Music Is Better - The Taper's Thread

Here's a good one that I've never shared anywhere.

Had the rare opportunity to see Primal Scream a few years ago. Even rarer, it was in a 250 capacity club.

I found this one poking around ye olde hard drive tonight. Never circulated this one. When I saw it on the list, my initial thought was "I've been sitting on this a couple years. I need to get it out there." Then I saw I taped this 9 years ago. How can time pass so slowly and so quickly at the same time?

Guessing this may be @jamieanderson1968's bag...

Primal Scream - The Visulite Theatre, Charlotte, NC 5-13-2015 - Kill All Hippies

Last edited:
Here's a good one that I've never shared anywhere.

Had the rare opportunity to see Primal Scream a few years ago. Even rarer, it was in a 250 capacity club.

I found this one poking around ye olde hard drive tonight. Never circulated this one. When I saw it on the list, my initial thought was "I've been sitting on this a couple years. I need to get it out there." Then I saw I taped this 9 years ago. How can time pass so slowly and so quickly at the same time?

Guessing this may be @jamieanderson1968's bag...

Primal Scream - The Visulite Theatre, Charlotte, NC 5-13-2015 - Kill All Hippies

Very nice. Primal Scream are like JAMC, when they are on they are like a bulldozer

My recent road trip to see Neil Young & Crazy Horse in Alpharetta (4 hours down, eat dinner and see the show with @Hemotep, 4 hours back) triggered the recollection of another one-day jaunt of similar proportion.

It's gotta be a really important band to me to warrant 8 hours of windshield time to see a couple hours of music. NY&CH definitely qualify. So do The Jesus & Mary Chain.

For Neil, I headed down I-85 across 3 states and hung a right above Atlanta into Alpharetta. For JAMC, it was practically an identical trip timewise, but I hung a left instead and headed into Athens.

Love this band. One of my Top 5. Taped this from front row center of the balcony...

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Georgia Theatre, Athens, GA - 12-13-2016

Reverence...

Nine Million Rainy Days...

Last edited:
The loss of Bill Walton hit me hard. @TenderLovingKiller® had a status update paying tribute to Grateful Red and @imtheocean linked a video in the comments that sent me to the bowels of ye olde hard drive to retrieve a smattering of this show I taped back in 2012.

I was given tickets to this one in the 11th hour. Wasn't expecting much. One of the best shows I saw that year...

Mickey Hart Band - The Orange Peel, Asheville, NC 4-18-12 - Fire On The Mountain

The loss of Bill Walton hit me hard. @TenderLovingKiller® had a status update paying tribute to Grateful Red and @imtheocean linked a video in the comments that sent me to the bowels of ye olde hard drive to retrieve a smattering of this show I taped back in 2012.

I was given tickets to this one in the 11th hour. Wasn't expecting much. One of the best shows I saw that year...

Mickey Hart Band - The Orange Peel, Asheville, NC 4-18-12 - Fire On The Mountain

That's a great recording! Thanks for sharing.

Been mining the depths of ye olde hard drive and occasionally pulling up a forgotten gem.

Brian Jonestown Massacre recorded 15 years ago. They played one set that lasted about 2.5 hours.

Anton was well behaved...

Brian Jonestown Massacre - The Orange Peel, Asheville, NC 4-8-09 When Jokers Attack>Sailor

In the last half of the 90s. I struck up a friendship with Scott Lucas and Joe Daniels of Local H. Would always tape them when they came to town. Would always request 'Cynic'. They'd always begrudgingly do it even though they said it was such an intense song it drained them. Really good dudes.

On this particular occasion in 1997, the Local H opener was Failure touring in support of Fantastic Planet. I was rollin'...

More late nights. More IPA. More trawling the depths of ye olde hard drive.

Taped this back in 2006 in a smallish room. Likely the only time you'll ever hear Buddy Guy apologize for saying motherfucker. Still don't know where that remorse came from. Or why.

A hot Johnny Guitar Watson cover...

Buddy Guy - The Orange Peel, Asheville, NC 10-10-2006 - A Real Mutha For Ya

Asheville used to have a sweet free music and arts festival every summer called Bele Chere. It ran for over three decades. Bele Chere (ancient Scottish for 'beautiful living') began as a way to help revitalize a derelict downtown full of vacant buildings and low patronage and was eventually killed by the revitalized downtown business owners who considered it a pain in the ass. Irony.

Here's a pretty sweet capture from one of those festivals. We got RL Burnside and his usual 90's band (Kenny Brown on guitar and Cedric Burnside on drums) with Warren Haynes who sat in for half the set.

Taped this on the down-low standing in the middle of a drunken throng with my mics clipped to my hat. It's outdoors so there's a bit of phasing due to the wind but doesn't really degrade things that much.

Don't miss RL's toast at the end...

RL Burnside With Warren Haynes - Bele Chere, Asheville, NC 7-26-2001 - Goin' Down South

Another night, another hard drive dive...

Story around this one - Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears were the opener on this tour. I'd been communicating with Black Joe Lewis, and he gave me permission to record his set. Showed up at the venue, flashed the email Black Joe had sent me, and was told to wait til they checked it out. About 10 minutes later, a guy came back and told me I was good to go.

I entered the venue, found a nice spot about 40 feet back right beside the soundboard and set up the complete mic stand regalia in full view. Taped Black Joe's smoking set and hit the bar. Came back about 20 minutes later and just hung out around my gear while the headliner made their final tweaks. Waited, anticipated, expected to be asked to break my gear down and not record.

That request never materialized. I hit record and you folks can now enjoy some smokin' New York Dolls.

Thanks for everything Arthur Kane, Sylvain Sylvain, Billy Murcia and Johnny Thunders...

New York Dolls - Amos' Southend, Charlotte, NC 6-15-2009 - You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory > Lonely Planet Boy

Tonight's dip into the murky digital storage depths...

This is one of the earliest live NIN recordings you're likely to run across.

Taped this in a 1K capacity room in 1990. NIN was touring in support of Pretty Hate Machine and appeared as the opener for The Jesus And Mary Chain. That, my friends, was a double bill.

I've pulled better recordings, I've pulled worse. Quite listenable, nonetheless....

Nine Inch Nails - The 13.13 Club, Charlotte, NC - 2-25-1990 - Head Like A Hole

Tonight's dip into the murky digital storage depths...

This is one of the earliest live NIN recordings you're likely to run across.

Taped this in a 1K capacity room in 1990. NIN was touring in support of Pretty Hate Machine and appeared as the opener for The Jesus And Mary Chain. That, my friends, was a double bill.

I've pulled better recordings, I've pulled worse. Quite listenable, nonetheless....

Nine Inch Nails - The 13.13 Club, Charlotte, NC - 2-25-1990 - Head Like A Hole

Richard Patrick was playing guitar in this lineup. Underrated guitar player. And I think this was before Jeff Ward briefly replaced Chris Vrenna on drums. RIP Jeff.

The energy is palpable! What a show!

Back