Live Music Is Better - The Taper's Thread

I was talking to a friend today and he asked, "You remember that Dino Jr. show we saw at the Neighborhood that was so loud it fucked up our hearing?"

I said, "What?"

He said, "You remember that Dino Jr. show at the Neighborhood that was so loud it fucked up our hearing?"

I said, "Huh?"

He said, "That Dino Jr. show. At the Neighborhood. It fucked up our hearing."

I said, "Yeah, I taped that show. The recording sounds just as loud."

He said, "What?"

I said, "Yeah, I remember. I taped that show."

He said, "I know I'm slow. But I can't hear."

View attachment 102694

Anyway, it was fuckin' loud. My recording is pretty accurate. And even with plugs my ears rang. Also, it was sublime.

This one's for @mcherry. Pew pew...

Big smile on my face right now. Thanks!

Was poking around the hard drive and ran across this one that I never got around to posting anywhere so this is a world premiere.

Samantha Fish recorded on a rainy night under a tent in a parking lot in little ol' Hickory, NC.

This one was recorded with a pair of mics onstage and some vocals mixed in post production via a mono soundboard feed. I love the soundstage and detail you get with onstage mics (listen for the squeaky bass drum pedal) but without another vocal source everything pretty much results in an instrumental.

Enjoy and pass it on. Go see Samantha Fish live and buy her music and merchandise. She's a firecracker.

Saw Black Midi a few weeks ago.

Wow.

They have grown so much from their first record to their second.

Here's their live take on John L. Pretty nice sound - was able to secure a board feed and augment that with mics about 30 feet back.

I feel incredibly lucky to have seen them live, especially in a tiny room in Asheville, NC that holds maybe 400.

Last edited:
Absolutely devastated by the loss of Mark Lanegan.

Here's a show I taped on the down low with relatively lo-fi equipment. With that said, it's a pretty spot on capture.

At the beginning of this song, you can hear Mark addressing a "situation"...

"I'd like to extend a special invitation to whoever thinks I want to have stuff thrown at me to meet me outside afterwards so I can throw something at you. I'm talking about my fist, motherfucker."

Thanks for everything, Mark.

Last edited:
Absolutely devastated by the loss of Mark Lanegan.

Here's a show I taped on the down low with relatively lo-fi equipment. With that said, it's a pretty spot on capture.

At the beginning of this song, you can hear Mark addressing a "situation"...

"I'd like to extend a special invitation to whoever thinks I'd like to have stuff thrown at me to meet me outside afterwards so I can throw something at you. I'm taking about my fist, motherfucker."

Thanks for everything, Mark.

Yeah, he died at a weird time for me. I'm pretty sure any other time, I would have felt very much the same. He will be missed for sure and I'm sure this will sting more later than it does now. I think he had the best male voice in music. I wish I had followed his later career a little more closely. I was a huge Trees fan and very much liked his first three solo records and of course his work with Queens of the Stone Age. I even have Gutter Twins on CD!!!

Yeah, he died at a weird time for me. I'm pretty sure any other time, I would have felt very much the same. He will be missed for sure and I'm sure this will sting more later than it does now. I think he had the best male voice in music. I wish I had followed his later career a little more closely. I was a huge Trees fan and very much liked his first three solo records and of course his work with Queens of the Stone Age. I even have Gutter Twins on CD!!!
As you've seen me post here more than a few times - for my money, the best voice in rock and roll. Grit and gravel with just as much passion. If Howlin' Wolf would've been active in the Seattle scene, that sums up Mark for me.

As you've seen me post here more than a few times - for my money, the best voice in rock and roll. Grit and gravel with just as much passion. If Howlin' Wolf would've been active in the Seattle scene, that sums up Mark for me.
Not just best vocalist, probably one of the best lyricists of the last 40yrs. Thank @Yer Ol' Uncle D for The live show.

Got to see him live with the Trees several times and then sort of lost track of him until 2013. He was opening for Nick Cave in 2013. I went specifically to see Nick, but Mark and band completely stole the evening. And that is saying a lot since Nick and Seeds are great live. Once Mark walked out on to the stage, he was rooted like a massive old tree (no pun intended) to the centre of the stage. Barely moving the entire set but you could not look away. He was absolutely captivating.

Got a soul cleanse from Lee Bains III this afternoon.

I always feel better about the prognosis of life in general after one of his gigs.

Support Lee Bains III & The Glory fires by going to their shows and buying their records and merchandise. They're good people.

20220430_214415.jpg

Solo show but the heat was brought...

Last edited:
Saw W.I.T.C.H. on Tuesday night in a tiny club. Ho-lee-shith.

What an incredible band This was one of those shows that not only delivered great music but repaired and reinvigorated my soul. I'm a better person for having been there.

If you know what's good for you, go see W.I.T.C.H. play live and buy their music and merchandise.

Here's a really crappy picture...

20221020_232424.jpg

Here's a taste of a pretty great recording...

Last edited:
LINK EXPIRES in 6 days from 11/15/22 - please don't share publicly

TEMPLE OF THE DOG
INGLEWOOD, CA @ THE FORUM
2016-11-14
AT831 -> BB -> DR-2d -> Soundforge -> FLAC

01. -intro-
02. Say Hello 2 Heaven
03. Wooden Jesus
04. Call Me A Dog
05. Your Saviour
06. Stardog Champion
07. Stargazer
08. Seasons
09. Jump In The Fire
10. Four Walled World
11. I'm A Mover
12. Pushin' Forward Back
13. Hunger Strike
14. Hey Baby (Land Of The New Rising Sun)
15. Heartshine
16. River Of Deceit
17. Holy Roller
18. Reach Down
19. Man Of Golden Words
20. Comfortably Numb (partial)
21. Baby Lemonade
22. Times Of Trouble
23. Achilles Last Stand
24. Holy Holy
25. Fascination Street
26. War Pigs
27. All Night Thing

https://we.tl/t-SKvTToMxjd

Had a friend ask me to dig this up so thought I might as well share it here as well.

My recording of The Black Crowes at Thomas Wolfe Auditorium in Asheville, NC on 9.19.10.

This was the third night in a row I saw The Crowes on the 2010 tour and the 3rd of 5 shows I was able to catch that year.

TBC sell their official downloads on Nugs.net but this show was never made available. I can only imagine they had technical difficulties because this gig smokes. I never saw a bad BC show in Asheville, and this is arguably the best of the bunch. Clocks in at close to 3.5 hours and they even cut a song based on the setlist. Hands down the best version of Driving Wheel I ever saw them perform.

Recording is worthy. Set up just right of center 20 rows back. Sat in front of and met Dave Gorman (Steve's brother) for the first time. We'd cross paths some more down the road. Good dude...

Setlist

- Acoustic Set -
Jealous Again
Hotel Illness
Whoa Mule
Driving Wheel
What Is Home
Ballad in Urgency >
Wiser Time
East Virginia Blues
Oh Josephine
My Morning Song
Miracle to Me

- Electric Set -
Movin' On Down the Line
Black Moon Creeping
Let It Be Gone
Greenhorn
Poor Elijah >
Tribute to Johnson
Downtown Money Waster
Thorn in My Pride
Hard to Handle
Remedy

Encore:
She Talks to Angels
Hot Burrito #2

@Psymon @Viking Dan

Had a friend ask me to dig this up so thought I might as well share it here as well.

My recording of The Black Crowes at Thomas Wolfe Auditorium in Asheville, NC on 9.19.10.

This was the third night in a row I saw The Crowes on the 2010 tour and the 3rd of 5 shows I was able to catch that year.

TBC sell their official downloads on Nugs.net but this show was never made available. I can only imagine they had technical difficulties because this gig smokes. I never saw a bad BC show in Asheville, and this is arguably the best of the bunch. Clocks in at close to 3.5 hours and they even cut a song based on the setlist. Hands down the best version of Driving Wheel I ever saw them perform.

Recording is worthy. Set up just right of center 20 rows back. Sat in front of and met Dave Gorman (Steve's brother) for the first time. We'd cross paths some more down the road. Good dude...

Setlist

- Acoustic Set -
Jealous Again
Hotel Illness
Whoa Mule
Driving Wheel
What Is Home
Ballad in Urgency >
Wiser Time
East Virginia Blues
Oh Josephine
My Morning Song
Miracle to Me

- Electric Set -
Movin' On Down the Line
Black Moon Creeping
Let It Be Gone
Greenhorn
Poor Elijah >
Tribute to Johnson
Downtown Money Waster
Thorn in My Pride
Hard to Handle
Remedy

Encore:
She Talks to Angels
Hot Burrito #2

@Psymon @Viking Dan

After a few listens, decided this needed a remaster/remix of sorts. A big improvement, I feel. Also, it's now split into separate tracks for easier listening / burning if you desire.

For some reason, this show never showed up as an official download on Nugs.

Dug this up for a post on another thread. It's worthy...

My go-to record store from the mid 80s thru the mid 90s was Selecter Records. It was in a small town that was considered the big town by my town which was a tiny town. Selecter was owned by Warren Haynes' brother, Brian, and his wife Susan. Such good people. I spent so many hours in that store and have so many great records in my collection because they turned me on to them. Eventually, Brian's dad became ill and they sold the shop so they could move back to Asheville. A local "hipster" bought the store and the guy he had working there was Jack Black's 'Barry' before High Fidelity. So sad it went down in flames that way, but I digress.

We had a tiny bar/club - maybe held 100 - called Ten Years After that pulled in some incredible artists during that period. Most of these were truly musical giants but the trends of the day had left them out of favor with programmers and record sales weren't what they used to be. One of these was Lonnie Mack. I had tickets for this one and I got a call from Susan the day before the show. She told me Warren was coming in to visit and the plan was he would jam with Lonnie that night.

The message was get there early, please tape and keep my recording habit on the down low as the jury was still out on how Lonnie felt about tapers.

I did, I did and I did and boy, am I glad I did...

Dug this up for a post on another thread. It's worthy...

My go-to record store from the mid 80s thru the mid 90s was Selecter Records. It was in a small town that was considered the big town by my town which was a tiny town. Selecter was owned by Warren Haynes' brother, Brian, and his wife Susan. Such good people. I spent so many hours in that store and have so many great records in my collection because they turned me on to them. Eventually, Brian's dad became ill and they sold the shop so they could move back to Asheville. A local "hipster" bought the store and the guy he had working there was Jack Black's 'Barry' before High Fidelity. So sad it went down in flames that way, but I digress.

We had a tiny bar/club - maybe held 100 - called Ten Years After that pulled in some incredible artists during that period. Most of these were truly musical giants but the trends of the day had left them out of favor with programmers and record sales weren't what they used to be. One of these was Lonnie Mack. I had tickets for this one and I got a call from Susan the day before the show. She told me Warren was coming in to visit and the plan was he would jam with Lonnie that night.

The message was get there early, please tape and keep my recording habit on the down low as the jury was still out on how Lonnie felt about tapers.

I did, I did and I did and boy, am I glad I did...

WOW

Was listening to this show tonight. It's the second gig I attended with @Lee Newman. Unexpected Led Zep deep cut cover.

The Magpie Salute - The Ritz, Raleigh, NC 8-16-17 - Sick Again

Boomy room. Pretty OK recording considering. Fun show...

Back