Live Music Is Better - The Taper's Thread

Cheers buddy, I have uploaded a video clip to youtube (not the best option but captures the issue).

Distorted Cassette Sound

I'm guessing you are talking about the "warbling" on the high end?

That sounds more like a tape degradation/defect as opposed to something that was there originally.

How old are the cassettes? When you look at the tape is there a crinkle or crease along one edge?

I'm guessing you are talking about the "warbling" on the high end?

That sounds more like a tape degradation/defect as opposed to something that was there originally.

How old are the cassettes? When you look at the tape is there a crinkle or crease along one edge?
Exactly, just sounds really high pitched and warbly.

They are pretty old now, from between the 1970's-1980's (assuming they were bought around the same time that they were used).

I have been looking at cassette to digital transfers, so I will try that at some point and hopefully be able to get some good quality ones out of the pile. The one I recorded was the worst one so far, the rest are not as bad as that.

Seven months now since I've seen live music. I'm jonesin'.

Gonna rekindle this thread so y'all don't forget why live music is the best.

Any other tapers out there - display your wares! There's nothing better than sharing good music with good people.

Here's a track from the best show I saw in 2017 - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds at Thomas Wolfe Auditorium in Asheville, NC.

This recording is a testament to three things
  1. The awesome sound in TWA. I was a good 3/4 of the way back. Still got some stereo soundstage.
  2. A modest rig can make a nice recording. I have less than $300 invested in what I used here.
  3. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds are one of the best live acts to ever walk the face of the earth. Absolutely sublime.
Enjoy, pass it on to anyone who'd enjoy it and please support NC&TBS by buying their records and merchandise and going to see them play live when that day comes. And it will come.

Saw Nick on the same tour in Toronto. It was the last show of the tour and the band was very loose but you could tell they were not just going through the motions. Definitely one of my top 10 shows of my life.

Never been a taper myself as I rarely got to shows in the last 10yrs but love a good quality live recording. thanks for this D

Keep live music, well, alive.

Dig on these posts.

Share them with friends.

Remember how great it is to go to a live show.

Donate to your local independent venue to insure they're alive on the other side of this mess.

Here's an example of what you get when you set up a modest pair of mics in the right spot in a great room.

Play it loud.

Luna - '23 Minutes In Brussels' - Cat's Cradle, Carrboro, NC 11-12-17

The Nick Cave posted above is highly listenable and enjoyable, but here's an example of what you get from the excellent sounding Thomas Wolfe Auditorium when you can tape from the general sweet spot.

I was set up in the 20th row right of center for this one. Again, a modest taping rig in the grand scheme of things - $250 mics, a $120 preamp and a $200 recorder. The same stuff I've been using for decades.

This is arguably my favorite show I've recorded at Thomas Wolfe. Historically, The Crowes always brought it in Asheville and this one was no exception - a sublime 3 1/2 hour show. This was my third night in a row of the Carolina run (Raleigh, Charlotte, Asheville) and was the best of the bunch slightly edging out Raleigh. The two night stand at The Tabernacle two months later would be the pinnacle for me on this tour.

So, to the song. This is my favorite version of 'Driving Wheel' I've ever seen The Crowes perform. It's a slow burn in the best possible way. And when Luther unleashes the solo at the end. Wow. Goosebumps every time I listen to it. A perfect moment in space and time.

I'm pretty sure @Lee Newman , @Twentytwo and @Aron will dig this. Americana thread folks - this is up your alley.

Again - enjoy, pass it on and do what you can to help your live music venues survive.

The Black Crowes - 'Driving Wheel' - Thomas Wolfe Auditorium - Asheville, NC 9-19-10

The Nick Cave posted above is highly listenable and enjoyable, but here's an example of what you get from the excellent sounding Thomas Wolfe Auditorium when you can tape from the general sweet spot.

I was set up in the 20th row right of center for this one. Again, a modest taping rig in the grand scheme of things - $250 mics, a $120 preamp and a $200 recorder. The same stuff I've been using for decades.

This is arguably my favorite show I've recorded at Thomas Wolfe. Historically, The Crowes always brought it in Asheville and this one was no exception - a sublime 3 1/2 hour show. This was my third night in a row of the Carolina run (Raleigh, Charlotte, Asheville) and was the best of the bunch slightly edging out Raleigh. The two night stand at The Tabernacle two months later would be the pinnacle for me on this tour.

So, to the song. This is my favorite version of 'Driving Wheel' I've ever seen The Crowes perform. It's a slow burn in the best possible way. And when Luther unleashes the solo at the end. Wow. Goosebumps every time I listen to it. A perfect moment in space and time.

I'm pretty sure @Lee Newman , @Twentytwo and @Aron will dig this. Americana thread folks - this is up your alley.

Again - enjoy, pass it on and do what you can to help your live music venues survive.

The Black Crowes - 'Driving Wheel' - Thomas Wolfe Auditorium - Asheville, NC 9-19-10

Insane quality!!!

NYCTaper is a favourite site for live recordings

Luna Oct 20 2019 Brooklyn (saw them a few nights prior to this in Chicago)

Yep - good stuff.

They hosted my recording of Jon Mueller's Death Blues I made at Hopscotch a few years back.

OK - found another gem that I taped at Thomas Wolfe Auditorium.

The Bob Weir/Chris Robinson/Jackie Greene Acoustic Trio played a tiny handful of limited dates in 2012. I was lucky enough to see one. I was even luckier to be taping from the sweet spot in TWA.

This sounds really good. And even though I was more right of center than I like to be in this room, there's a nice stereo soundstage. It's a really good headphone listen.

This was a two set show, and during the break word began to spread that we'd lost Doc Watson. For those of you unfamiliar, Doc is a folk/bluegrass icon and a North Carolina deity. They also got the sad news backstage. Fittingly, we got an impromptu cover of Doc's 'Deep River Blues' to kick off set two. Reverence.

This one is actually uploaded to The Live Music Archive. Y'all can stream and/or download the show in any imaginable format you want.

Dig it, pass it on, and support the artists.

@BjorgenFjorgen - get on in here.

The Bob Weir / Chris Robinson / Jackie Greene Acoustic Trio - Thomas Wolfe Auditorium, Asheville, NC 5-29-12

Last edited:
Was talking with a friend tonight about horror movies we saw as a kid and Godzilla popped up in the conversation. And then this show popped into my head. I recorded it 10 years ago.

I always described this song as the soundtrack to dinosaurs walking the earth. It's accurate.

This is a great show in performance and recording. Had a board feed as well as mics and it's top shelf.

It's an LMA upload so stream, download and share at will. Also support The Black Angels by buying their records and merchandise and going to see them live when this plague passes. Wear a mask people. It ain't that hard.

The Black Angels - The Grey Eagle, Asheville, NC 11-10-10

A timely message from The Maggot Overlord during his final tour in 2019...

Think
It ain't illegal yet
Think
It ain't illegal yet
Think
It ain't illegal yet
Think
It ain't illegal yet

Blackbyrd McKnight is blistering on this one.

Ran into Josh Homme and Joey Castillo loading their bikes back onto the trailer after a ride around Asheville before this show.

Checked with Josh to make sure he was still cool with taping. Got the official endorsement and a request to ask for him or Hutch, the soundman, if I got any grief getting my gear in at the door. The Orange Peel is notoriously clueless and unhelpful to tapers at entry. You get inside - they're great.

Sure enough, had to get Hutch to vouch for me. He's the man.

Arguably, my favorite QOTSA song off my favorite QOTSA album.

Enjoy and pass it on.

Ran into Josh Homme and Joey Castillo loading their bikes back onto the trailer after a ride around Asheville before this show.

Checked with Josh to make sure he was still cool with taping. Got the official endorsement and a request to ask for him or Hutch, the soundman, if I got any grief getting my gear in at the door. The Orange Peel is notoriously clueless and unhelpful to tapers at entry. You get inside - they're great.

Sure enough, had to get Hutch to vouch for me. He's the man.

Arguably, my favorite QOTSA song off my favorite QOTSA album.

Enjoy and pass it on.

Sounds great! Never disappoint live.

Was reminiscing tonight about some beautiful people I've seen perform live that aren't around anymore. Especially those whose loss is still particularly painful.

Neal Casal. Damn. Still hurts so bad.

This is a recording of an early Chris Robinson Brotherhood show I made back in 2011. If I had to sum up Neal in one song, one solo, it would be this performance of Star Or Stone. Such beautiful, emotional playing. I always referred to Neal as The Quiet Shredder, and this song epitomizes that. It's so frustrating to know that someone creating such beautiful music was in such internal pain hidden to such an extent that the eventual outcome couldn't be recognized, changed, driven off course. Tragic.

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24 hours a day in multiple languages. No matter how bad it may seem, there are people who care and a better alternative. Call 800-273-8255

Was reminiscing tonight about some beautiful people I've seen perform live that aren't around anymore. Especially those whose loss is still particularly painful.

Neal Casal. Damn. Still hurts so bad.

This is a recording of an early Chris Robinson Brotherhood show I made back in 2011. If I had to sum up Neal in one song, one solo, it would be this performance of Star Or Stone. Such beautiful, emotional playing. I always referred to Neal as The Quiet Shredder, and this song epitomizes that. It's so frustrating to know that someone creating such beautiful music was in such internal pain hidden to such an extent that the eventual outcome couldn't be recognized, changed, driven off course. Tragic.

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24 hours a day in multiple languages. No matter how bad it may seem, there are people who care and a better alternative. Call 800-273-8255

Man, what a player and such a loss. Thanks for posting this, D.

My musical heroes are dropping like flies.

It's a downer. Not just because they've meant so much to me as I navigate thru the minefield of life, but because so many that I'm losing are in my age bracket. Mortality - what a drag.

The latest casualty - Sylvain Sylvain. Damn. Fuck cancer.

This is from a New York Dolls show I taped in 2009. It was a happy accident.

The opening band was Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears. I had opened up a dialogue with Black Joe Lewis a few months prior and he'd given me the blessing to tape. I set up, recorded his set and went to get a beer. I returned, expecting to get shut down by someone from The Dolls crew. No one in sight. I sat tight. No one showed. Not a peep. The Dolls came on and I hit record. Here we are.

Pass this link along to anyone who'd enjoy it. Support the band. Thanks.

I was talking to a friend today and he asked, "You remember that Dino Jr. show we saw at the Neighborhood that was so loud it fucked up our hearing?"

I said, "What?"

He said, "You remember that Dino Jr. show at the Neighborhood that was so loud it fucked up our hearing?"

I said, "Huh?"

He said, "That Dino Jr. show. At the Neighborhood. It fucked up our hearing."

I said, "Yeah, I taped that show. The recording sounds just as loud."

He said, "What?"

I said, "Yeah, I remember. I taped that show."

He said, "I know I'm slow. But I can't hear."

giphy.gif

Anyway, it was fuckin' loud. My recording is pretty accurate. And even with plugs my ears rang. Also, it was sublime.

This one's for @mcherry. Pew pew...

Last edited:
Back