Let's See Your Collection! Any Size!

One reason I’ve held off on posting photos of my collection is because I’ve been planning on building a record bin similar to this one. The main difference is that I’d like the records on the bottom shelf to have the same orientation as the top. Right now, my collection is spread across four different storage solutions.

Did you make this?
Me, making stuff?
Hmmm, surely not.
I’ve a magic Russian carpenter that sometimes comes to the house to do some work and if I give him designs he enjoys building me stuff!

City living means my collection is divided into 4 different places in our house (and size limits on photo uploads means all pictures have to be blurred as it only accepts ones when I take on "food" setting!).
First up, upstairs I have my African and jazz records with covers on display. I then listen to these 7 records next.
20190521_085838.jpg
Also upstairs I have my box of Poly-Rythmo 7 inches - I have about 110 from them and counting - plus 50 or so other 7s from various African bands
20190521_085803.jpg
Then in the cellar I have all my rock, blues and Latin stuff, plus boxsets (great space-freeing idea to have them on top of the Kallax - so kudos to whoever on here I stole that from).
20190521_085902.jpg
And finally, the latest addition is in our storage room in the cellar where for space reasons (the joys of living in a city centre) my soul, rap, reggae and Xmas records are currently living.
20190521_085924.jpg

Current picture of my collection... complete with pool noodle stops on the 4x4!

6yMPZh7.jpg

[
Screen shot your photo. Nice setup!

My photo size work-a-round as I don’t have good photo phone app is to email the picture to myself. Send email gives me size options. Pick one that fits and send to yourself. Then open email and save resized photo. Just takes a sec.

We're looking at getting a new place and I was like "yeah, i can use the spare room as a record room and expand my collection."

My wife just smiled politely and then after a few seconds of silence changed the subject. She's going to kill me in my sleep.

Long before we were married I made my wife promise not to kill me in my sleep. I find it prudent to remind her a few times a year of her promise.

Last edited:
We're looking at getting a new place and I was like "yeah, i can use the spare room as a record room and expand my collection."

My wife just smiled politely and then after a few seconds of silence changed the subject. She's going to kill me in my sleep.

It has been a long time since we moved but one of my key requirements when we were looking was a room big enough for a dedicated listening room. Lot of space for music, ability to block off from pets and unrelated family hustle, and a location where the noise wouldn’t be an issue for neighbors or with wife/kids when watching TV or sleeping. Wife got the house she wanted and I bought a new stereo. We set the room up as multimedia so everyone could enjoy it.

Didn’t find the perfect space but it has worked out well. So far so good.

Now, as an empty nester I am getting ready to expand into another bedroom so I can get all the vinyl neatly on shelves. Pretty much agree the main space is the dedicated music room. Wife has the living room for TV 24/7.

Downsizing may be the big hurdle ahead but I plan to push that as far into the future as possible. Going to go down spinning. Either on the bike or the turntable.

Back