Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

I waited 3 years.
Tinkering now to keep me from trying to buy another amp or set of speakers.
I don’t plan to spend big money on cables until I am done upgrading to my endgame setup. I have a conditioner, I’m using Amazon basic interconnects, and Elac sensible speaker cables currently. Although, I will probably biwire when I get around to speakers, so there will probably be a pretty big investment in those cables before the table gets its turn. Speakers are my weak point currently but will be adding Dirac and a transport and probably upgrade my phonostage before I do those. I’m honestly happy with the Elac debut 6.2s but I know what their weaknesses are and the nad only emphasized them. Hoping Dirac will satisfy that itch while i sort out the rest of the digital end.

Last edited:
I don’t plan to spend big money on cables until I am done upgrading to my endgame setup. I have a conditioner, I’m using Amazon basic interconnects, and Elac sensible speaker cables currently. Although, I will probably biwire when I get around to speakers, so there will probably be a pretty big investment in those cables before the table gets its turn. Speakers are my weak point currently but will be adding Dirac and a transport and probably upgrade my phonostage before I do those. I’m honestly happy with the Elac debut 6.2s but I know what their weaknesses are and the nad only emphasized them. Hoping Dirac will satisfy that itch while i sort out the rest of the digital end.
Yeah cables were at the bottom of the list after all other equipment.
Enjoy the journey. Speakers are an amazing piece of it.

When I was running the old tannoy bi wire I was pretty impressed with the blue jean bi wire cables, especially at the price they were at. No longer bi wiring because the Lintons only have a single input but even more impressed with the blue jeans BJC10 normal speaker cables.

For all my proselytizing regarding cables I'm only half serious. I was shocked at the palpable difference in sound I got from both my interconnects and AC cable upgrades, but they really should be way way down the line in terms of priority for most people. You're going to get WAY more out of speakers or carts or almost any other component upgrade than you will from cables so please take anything I say regarding high end cable upgrades with a grain of salt.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming YAESSSSSSS GETS ALL THE CABLES PRECIOUS WE HAVES TO HAVE THEM ALLLLLLLLL

For all my proselytizing regarding cables I'm only half serious. I was shocked at the palpable difference in sound I got from both my interconnects and AC cable upgrades, but they really should be way way down the line in terms of priority for most people. You're going to get WAY more out of speakers or carts or almost any other component upgrade than you will from cables so please take anything I say regarding high end cable upgrades with a grain of salt.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming YAESSSSSSS GETS ALL THE CABLES PRECIOUS WE HAVES TO HAVE THEM ALLLLLLLLL
Boom boom likes cables too Our System

For me, it’s a question of balance. You could have incredible speakers, cartridge, etc. but if you skimp on cables and cords you won’t get the best from your great gear. The cables and cords will throttle the great down to the lowest common denominator.

For me, it’s a question of balance. You could have incredible speakers, cartridge, etc. but if you skimp on cables and cords you won’t get the best from your great gear. The cables and cords will throttle the great down to the lowest common denominator.

It’s all relative though and in a lot of ways they are the icing on the case. If you’re working within a budget I’d still say get the best gear possible first and worry about the cables as an upgrade at some point. It’s better to have something great slightly throttled and then unveiled with upgrades when money allows than to limit the gear to the best cables you can afford.

I mean if your system isn’t up to snuff, the cables don’t really matter. You can eek some performance by upgrading that stuff but it really should be “I’m pretty happy with what I have, what can I tweak?” I got all I was going to get out of my starter amp… the audition with the Darlington phono proved this. It was time to move on. If a killer phono doesn’t produce effects, the subtlety of cables/cords isn’t going to either.

Alright, with all that cable talk, I recently changed country and have to change my power cables to accommodate European sockets. What brands should I look at? Not looking at breaking the bank, but can spend a few hundred €…

Alright, with all that cable talk, I recently changed country and have to change my power cables to accommodate European sockets. What brands should I look at? Not looking at breaking the bank, but can spend a few hundred €…

Erm if you’re in Europe you’re going to need a transformer. We run a completely different voltage to the states. 230V v 110v. Absolutely not as simple as a cable swap sorry!

Erm if you’re in Europe you’re going to need a transformer. We run a completely different voltage to the states. 230V v 110v. Absolutely not as simple as a cable swap sorry!
Haha, thanks Joe I know and was careful when choosing gear to be sure it was compatible. All my equipment is 110-220v.

Haha, thanks Joe I know and was careful when choosing gear to be sure it was compatible. All my equipment is 110-220v.

Phew! Because the majority isn’t unless it’s using an smps lol!

I like the pangea cables and they do an eu variant!

The 9 is great for subs and power amps

And the 14 is great for source gear

Thanks for the link, right around my budget. For the source, what’s more important, turntable or phono? Which is most affected with noise?

The turntable is the least important generally. It’s just powering the motor. It will have some effect but it has much more impact on the playback in just about any other piece of gear.

With exception of a cartridge upgrade, tubes for my amp, or feet for my speakers, this will be the final version of my setup. When the Pioneer goes that’s it.
Down the line I might consider a phono pre amp, but for now I’m content toggling between the two tables. Now it’s time to get serious about culling the entire collection.

Of course that could all change if I ever hit a jackpot 😁

IMG_0461.jpeg

With exception of a cartridge upgrade, tubes for my amp, or feet for my speakers, this will be the final version of my setup. When the Pioneer goes that’s it.
Down the line I might consider a phono pre amp, but for now I’m content toggling between the two tables. Now it’s time to get serious about culling the entire collection.

Of course that could all change if I ever hit a jackpot 😁

View attachment 181938
But you still have space on those shelves!

Back