Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

Marantz DAC for the TV/cable box that I don’t have yet. Really torn between a 55 and a 65. The couch is a good distance from the system.

I can also stream from a phone which is what I’m using it for with XM radio- hence the wire in this pic taken from the couch.

View attachment 181177
Looks like you've got the wall space for a 65! And with the Technics not being a huge footprint deck, I think that'll work.

Stands still haven’t arrived but just means I’ll have to post the pic again when they’re in. The speakers look the part though. Set up has gone from

Technics 1210GR, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Musical Fidelity M6I and Totem Forest Floor Standers

to

Technics 1210GR, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Leak 230, JBL L82 Classics, Wiim Pro Streamer and a set of Hifiman 400SE headphones. On paper it seems like a step down but even with the speakers straight out the box and on the floor it matches the space much better (both musically and visually)

IMG_4120.jpeg

Stands still haven’t arrived but just means I’ll have to post the pic again when they’re in. The speakers look the part though. Set up has gone from

Technics 1210GR, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Musical Fidelity M6I and Totem Forest Floor Standers

to

Technics 1210GR, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Leak 230, JBL L82 Classics, Wiim Pro Streamer and a set of Hifiman 400SE headphones. On paper it seems like a step down but even with the speakers straight out the box and on the floor it matches the space much better (both musically and visually)

View attachment 181610
That's a prime setup. You'll appreciate the sound when the speakers are elevated.

So just cuing up the first record!

Much happier with the extra 1.5mm. The arm feels flatter and it feels like there is a safe gap under it, however low it rides!

I did try a couple of known warped record just to see and it would not play ball with the edge up side of a dish. It rode a slight edge warp quite nicely.

IMG_6646.jpeg

Now on my first reference record and I’ve got to say this a very nice cart. There is a lot of detail there and it’s not at all bright. It also feels like there is a bit more air in the mix. Maybe I’m imagining that last bit…

View attachment 181673
I will never go back now that I have VTA on the fly.
With my original VPI Aries with the original JMW arm and then the 10.6 upgrade I had the same on the fly adjustable VTA as you. After 35 years(😮) the angst of “Is VTA perfect?” I gave into the Rega set it and forget it mentality. I’m happier now @Mather, because the Rega sounds better to me but you have many years of experimenting and enjoyment to form your ears. It really is a lifelong passion if you don’t make yourself crazier. 😁

Last edited:
With my original VPI Aries with the original JMW arm and then the 10.6 upgrade I had the same on the fly adjustable VTA as you. After 35 years(😮) the angst of “Is VTA perfect?” I gave into the Rega set it and forget it mentality. I’m happier now Mather, because the Rega sounds better to me but you have many years of experimenting and enjoyment to form your ears. It really is a lifelong passion if you don’t make yourself crazier. 😁

We can get crazier 👀

With my original VPI Aries with the original JMW arm and then the 10.6 upgrade I had the same on the fly adjustable VTA as you. After 35 years(😮) the angst of “Is VTA perfect?” I gave into the Rega set it and forget it mentality. I’m happier now @Mather, because the Rega sounds better to me but you have many years of experimenting and enjoyment to form your ears. It really is a lifelong passion if you don’t make yourself crazier. 😁
Surprisingly I'm actually not too concerned with VTA once I set it initially. I have my crappy $25 usb microscope and I can fairly clearly see the stylus in the groove with it. So that's really all I need, little adjustment with each cart and go. I'm honestly surprised I don't obsess about it more but, I dunno. Pretty convinced with the visuals from the USB cam that I've got it about as good as it's going to get when you take into account variances between stylus rake on each cart. I've got enough other stuff to keep me crazy...

Last edited:
Back