Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

So just cuing up the first record!

Much happier with the extra 1.5mm. The arm feels flatter and it feels like there is a safe gap under it, however low it rides!

I did try a couple of known warped record just to see and it would not play ball with the edge up side of a dish. It rode a slight edge warp quite nicely.

View attachment 181687

Now on my first reference record and I’ve got to say this a very nice cart. There is a lot of detail there and it’s not at all bright. It also feels like there is a bit more air in the mix. Maybe I’m imagining that last bit…
Oh, yeah, now I remember the other reason I hate fucking orts.

This cartridge sounds pretty magnificent though. It’s really impressing me so far. Also the only other cart I had that ran this low, and didn’t like warps, was a Grado.
I imagine that when I upgrade the table, i will probably try out whatever cart can be bundled with or is recommended for the table. Mdc 2 is the next step though. Hopefully early next year.

So just cuing up the first record!

Much happier with the extra 1.5mm. The arm feels flatter and it feels like there is a safe gap under it, however low it rides!

I did try a couple of known warped record just to see and it would not play ball with the edge up side of a dish. It rode a slight edge warp quite nicely.

View attachment 181687

Now on my first reference record and I’ve got to say this a very nice cart. There is a lot of detail there and it’s not at all bright. It also feels like there is a bit more air in the mix. Maybe I’m imagining that last bit…
That looks great to me, and I think it would have to be a severe enough warp to engage the cart's suspension before contact would happen (stylus receding into cart as cart moves down), and that wouldn't be worth spinning anyway. I would expect it to ride mild warps just fine.

With my original VPI Aries with the original JMW arm and then the 10.6 upgrade I had the same on the fly adjustable VTA as you. After 35 years(😮) the angst of “Is VTA perfect?” I gave into the Rega set it and forget it mentality. I’m happier now @Mather, because the Rega sounds better to me but you have many years of experimenting and enjoyment to form your ears. It really is a lifelong passion if you don’t make yourself crazier. 😁

I split the difference. One system, the one with tubes in the chain, I have a Rega in. The other system that is all solid-state I have a VPI with VTA on the fly.

That way I can be anxious that I’m missing something, or need to adjust it, measure it, or tweak it with either system! It’s brilliant.

Ok we were talking power cables so I ordered one to try risk free. $450 Tributaries cable from Crutchfield. It looks badass. So I thought these guys may be right about the upgrade. I plugged it in today and it sounds like it is sucking the life out of the Denon. I mean to the point I am afraid of damaging my amp. I plan to return it but wonder how it could be so terrible. Maybe Denon has a power supply spec'd that's really finicky?

View attachment 181250View attachment 181251
So Tributaries sent me a replacement cable today and I plugged it in for a test. Still not that great considering they assured me these were personally tested before sending.

So I thought for a minute, maybe bypass the Panamax and try plugging directly into the wall socket.

Boom! It was like flipping a switch. Not like new speakers or stylus but noticeable.
Next, I discovered the replacement cable is the step down part after a listening to a few tracks. But still it's sounding good. I've been A/Bx several songs today with stock cable. Now, after realizing the 6P was sent instead of the 8P premium I originally bought, I decided to try the 8P again plugged in direct now. More forward sound, some increased gain, and a bunch of other subjective blah blah. But the gain is real to my ears.

Bottom line, the Panamax seems to be choking the new power cable.
The Denon cable sounds the same if plugged in to the Panamax or directly to the wall socket.
So not sure what this means exactly. Maybe someone here has an idea.

So Tributaries sent me a replacement cable today and I plugged it in for a test. Still not that great considering they assured me these were personally tested before sending.

So I thought for a minute, maybe bypass the Panamax and try plugging directly into the wall socket.

Boom! It was like flipping a switch. Not like new speakers or stylus but noticeable.
Next, I discovered the replacement cable is the step down part after a listening to a few tracks. But still it's sounding good. I've been A/Bx several songs today with stock cable. Now, after realizing the 6P was sent instead of the 8P premium I originally bought, I decided to try the 8P again plugged in direct now. More forward sound, some increased gain, and a bunch of other subjective blah blah. But the gain is real to my ears.

The Denon cable sounds the same if plugged in to the Panamax or directly to the wall socket.
It means NOW YOU GOTTA REPLACE ALL THE CABLES DOOOOOO IIIIIIIIT BUY ALL THE PRECIOUS'SSSSSSSS

I was going to ask if the amp was plugged straight into the wall.

If you go to any audio show, you’ll find the amplifier is plugged straight into the wall in the majority of setups. This will sound the best. Your experience isn’t surprising.

Because I’ve experienced firsthand the protection that a Panamax or similar offers, I’m not willing to plug anything straight into the wall. Florida is the lightning strike capital of the world.

If you go to any audio show, you’ll find the amplifier is plugged straight into the wall in the majority of setups. This will sound the best. Your experience isn’t surprising.

Because I’ve experienced firsthand the protection that a Panamax or similar offers, I’m not willing to plug anything straight into the wall. Florida is the lightning strike capital of the world.

I was under the impression Lord DeSantis repelled all evil and protected you from stuff like that.

Yeah that's a major point in this trade-off.
I do have whole house surge protection installed in the breaker box.
Cheapest $40 insurance you can ever buy.

Back