Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

So back to A/Bx the power cable today.
Woodwinds sound really weird. Why this particular section, I have zero clue.
But it's a "tinny", unnatural type sound.
I think this completes the experiment.
Piano and some percussion sounds better but other areas sound off. Strangest cable I have ever dealt with in my 20+ years in AV.

It's going back to Crutchfield.

So back to A/Bx the power cable today.
Woodwinds sound really weird. Why this particular section, I have zero clue.
But it's a "tinny", unnatural type sound.
I think this completes the experiment.
Piano and some percussion sounds better but other areas sound off. Strangest cable I have ever dealt with in my 20+ years in AV.

It's going back to Crutchfield.
How many hours on the cord?

I was going to ask if the amp was plugged straight into the wall.

If you go to any audio show, you’ll find the amplifier is plugged straight into the wall in the majority of setups. This will sound the best. Your experience isn’t surprising.

Because I’ve experienced firsthand the protection that a Panamax or similar offers, I’m not willing to plug anything straight into the wall. Florida is the lightning strike capital of the world.
I don’t use fancy power cords but I do have a SurgeX. The one component not plugged into the SurgeX is my power amp. I do believe the surge limiting circuitry has a negative effect on my power amp performance.

I don’t use fancy power cords but I do have a SurgeX. The one component not plugged into the SurgeX is my power amp. I do believe the surge limiting circuitry has a negative effect on my power amp performance.
Interesting, I should try my amp into the wall to see if there's a difference. But since it's an AVR I'm not sure if would matter much.

Interesting, I should try my amp into the wall to see if there's a difference. But since it's an AVR I'm not sure if would matter much.
I find the most obvious tell is when returning to the original setup after having listened to the piece under test for for a good while.

With exception of a cartridge upgrade, tubes for my amp, or feet for my speakers, this will be the final version of my setup. When the Pioneer goes that’s it.
Down the line I might consider a phono pre amp, but for now I’m content toggling between the two tables. Now it’s time to get serious about culling the entire collection.

Of course that could all change if I ever hit a jackpot 😁

View attachment 181938

You know you can get phono stages that have multiple inputs, there are some very good ones like that 😜

Last pic as unless something goes bang this is the set up now. But speakers are off the ground. And it sounds ace. Much better at lower volumes. Totally lost that kinda fog that the m6i/ totem combo had at anything under a third of the volume. Plus it looks kinda great too
IMG_4135.jpegIMG_4134.jpeg

The tributaries cable is 20A. The Denon amp and Panamax are both 15A. So it made a difference with the higher amp cable but did not when I plugged Denon cable directly into wall. For whatever that is worth.

@snoops - it’s been a few months… how does your 1200G compare to the GR?
The 1200GR is in my office with me, so I spend more time with it listening to records while I am working, than I do with the 1200G. The 1200G is just more of everything and just a pure joy to listen to. There are just so many things in the win column with both tables. It's killed my upgrade itch. No fussy setup or belts to deal with, removable head shell, adjustable VTA, instant torque, rock solid construction, and reliable.

From a usability perspective, the main thing I notice is how much better the queuing arm \ mechanism is on the 1200G, as well as the tactile feel of the buttons. It just has the feel of a high end table. On the SQ side of things, there is just a bit more detail and less background noise with the better tonearm and damping on the G.

Best analogy I can give is probably a car one. Think of the 1200GR like a top spec Toyota Camry and the 1200G a Lexus sedan. Both are going to get you from A to B and be super reliable. The Lexus will just be a little quieter driving and have a fancier interior.

1200GR.jpg

1200G.jpg

1200G 2.jpg

Last edited:
The 1200GR is in my office with me, so I spend more time with it listening to records while I am working, than I do with the 1200G. The 1200G is just more of everything and just a pure joy to listen to. There are just so many things in the win column with both tables. It's killed my upgrade itch. No fussy setup or belts to deal with, removable head shell, adjustable VTA, instant torque, rock solid construction, and reliable.

From a usability perspective, the main thing I notice is how much better the queuing arm \ mechanism is on the 1200G, as well as the tactile feel of the buttons. It just has the feel of a high end table. On the SQ side of things, there is just a bit more detail and less background noise with the better tonearm and damping on the G.

Best analogy I can give is probably a car one. Think of the 1200GR like a top spec Toyota Camry and the 1200G a Lexus sedan. Both are going to get you from A to B and be super reliable. The Lexus will just be a little quieter driving and have a fancier interior.

View attachment 183115

View attachment 183116

View attachment 183117
Spot on comparison, every time I see your TT "housing" I find it stunning and a nice touch. I think you posted about it somewhere, but where did you get it?

Spot on comparison, every time I see your TT "housing" I find it stunning and a nice touch. I think you posted about it somewhere, but where did you get it?

There is a seller on Etsy that is located in Spain that custom makes them. He is really friendly and ships them out quickly.

I was planing on getting one from the guy in Spain, but ended up on a US seller to make the shipping easier. I bought one from an ebay seller in the US and love it. He was very communicative during the whole process to confirm dimensions and stain color etc. he does all kinds of technics and would guess he does the 1200g as well. I also had a $100 eBay card from work which helped make the decision.

Last edited:
Back