Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

The Graham Slee phonos are pretty great. I especially liked the Reflex. If you check out the GS forum, they have a loaner program if you want to see how it sounds in your system.
Yeah I initially wanted to go for an Accession. But one thing I learned is buy gear that is made in the country you live in to get the best prices. Hence Sutherland. I bought my amp 2SE via the GS website and didn’t pay taxes so was cheaper than buying it from Music Direct.

Yeah I initially wanted to go for an Accession. But one thing I learned is buy gear that is made in the country you live in to get the best prices. Hence Sutherland. I bought my amp 2SE via the GS website and didn’t pay taxes so was cheaper than buying it from Music Direct.
Slee also gives a discount to people who are active on his forum. I demoed the Accession and the Reflex. I actually preferred the Reflex in my system. I thought the soundstage was bigger with more separation between the instruments. It gave the music more dimension. The Accession is more capable as a preamp but it didn’t have that magic.

And how are they working out?
I only played one album last night so need to give them a proper going over and the album I listened to (Dylans debut from the Mono box) possibly wasn't the best test case but I felt like there was a clear improvement in the sound. I think my system has a decent level of detail anyway but it seemed to add a level of space that I'm not sure was there previously. I think adding the oyaide mat cleaned out a bit of the sound but with the feet added as well, while definitely not brighter, it seemed a cleaner and clearer reproduction. I'm going to run a few that I've had issues through it tonight as I'm pretty familiar with the sound on them but I'd say from the very brief listen I had last night that it's improved things. But I had my deck on a kallax which is on suspended wooden floors so it was probably always going to help in my case

Also, if you don’t like the double branding, you can turn the stands around “backwards” to hide the branding on the stands.

They are really beautifully built/finished, aren’t they?
Yeah they are and they’re is real weight and quality about them! Cant wait to hear what they can do!

Just off down the hardware store to get some electrical tape for the two bananas, that should hopefully get them up nearer room temp, and then I’ll get them going!

Yeah they are and they’re is real weight and quality about them! Cant wait to hear what they can do!

Just off down the hardware store to get some electrical tape for the two bananas, that should hopefully get them up nearer room temp, and then I’ll get them going!
Interested to know how they sound. I'm not sure if they would be a lateral step from my forests but I'd always had ambitions of a set of 30.1/ 30.2s after hearing them once about 5 years ago but they are still well out of reach. Wondering if these may be in the same territory soundwise but a quarter of the cost.

Plus the stands look cool.

Interested to know how they sound. I'm not sure if they would be a lateral step from my forests but I'd always had ambitions of a set of 30.1/ 30.2s after hearing them once about 5 years ago but they are still well out of reach. Wondering if these may be in the same territory soundwise but a quarter of the cost.

Plus the stands look cool.
They go from “not bad at all for the money” cold from the box to absolutely stunning when broken in. @Joe Mac has some hours and a real treat in front of him to get there.

When I wrote that they’d be priced fairly at $4500 if made in England, the Harbeths are exactly what I had in mind. There are some similarities between the two.

They go from “not bad at all for the money” cold from the box to absolutely stunning when broken in. @Joe Mac has some hours and a real treat in front of him to get there.

When I wrote that they’d be priced fairly at $4500 if made in England, the Harbeths are exactly what I had in mind. There are some similarities between the two.
That's interesting as the 30.2s are looking at being at least £3,500 with stands and that's if I score a used deal. I don't mind saving and spending the money but only if there is a clear tangible benefit to it. I may see what Lintone in Gateshead will give me as a trade on the forests to see if I can get halfway there

That's interesting as the 30.2s are looking at being at least £3,500 with stands and that's if I score a used deal. I don't mind saving and spending the money but only if there is a clear tangible benefit to it. I may see what Lintone in Gateshead will give me as a trade on the forests to see if I can get halfway there
I’d expect the Forests will bring 30% of original retail.

I imagine it’s no accident that all the wood finishes on the furniture (and TT) in this picture match. Does the walnut on the Wharfedales bother you at all? Personally, I love walnut.

No. I actually mix and match wood tones a lot more as I’ve got more confident expressing my taste. It was intentional back then, when I felt everything had to match, but to be honest if I was doing it again I’d probably have accented the tt isolation box too. I have, off picture, ash coffee and side tables. Also it was walnut or Red mahogany and walnut suits the style I have going much better!

Back