Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

Bought a pair of used Rega R5 floorstanders. Have spent the day reworking the shelves to make some space for them. Yes, I know it is a bit cramped, but I can bring the speakers out in the room when I have the house for myself... Still they sound very nice and the front port makes them work well close to the wall.

So, now I have a full Rega setup which I have wanted to check out for some time!

IMG_20201025_173134.jpg

This was great to come home to after driving 7 hours to Ohio yesterday, packing up my daughter and driving 7 hours back today. The only bummer is that the power conditioner won't fit on top of the Manley, literally a hair too tall, so everything is a little "shifted" and it's killing my OCD, lol.
20201107_201604.jpg

20201107_210511.jpg

This was great to come home to after driving 7 hours to Ohio yesterday, packing up my daughter and driving 7 hours back today. The only bummer is that the power conditioner won't fit on top of the Manley, literally a hair too tall, so everything is a little "shifted" and it's killing my OCD, lol.
View attachment 73882

View attachment 73881
Can't wait to read what you think of it!

View attachment 73882

View attachment 73881

Just out of interest, and as we‘re running the same cart, what gain setting are you using with this fella?

I thought you were going to say that. Which is good in a way because that version doesn’t appear to be available over here. If you’d said 60db my cogs would still be spinning 😂
I tried 55 and 60 on the Insight and settled at 50db being the optimal to my ears/preference. The Chinook SE went from internal DIPs for Low or High gain to a set of jumpers. Open 45db/60db and closed 50db/65db

I tried 55 and 60 on the Insight and settled at 50db being the optimal to my ears/preference. The Chinook SE went from internal DIPs for Low or High gain to a set of jumpers. Open 45db/60db and closed 50db/65db

Hahaha yeah I know but that’s only on the SEII which is an upscale exclusive so not available to us at 240V! The one we get is either 45 or 60 lol!

I have mine at 48db but with balanced out which adds a bit too, I wouldn’t want to go any lower. 45db would definitely be too low with single ended in my system and 60db is probably too high. 50-55 would be where I’d want to be!

Of course I could just move to the high output opus and use the 45db but I think I should just live with my system as it is for right now 😂

Hahaha yeah I know but that’s only on the SEII which is an upscale exclusive so not available to us at 240V! The one we get is either 45 or 60 lol!

I have mine at 48db but with balanced out which adds a bit too, I wouldn’t want to go any lower. 45db would definitely be too low with single ended in my system and 60db is probably too high. 50-55 would be where I’d want to be!

Of course I could just move to the high output opus and use the 45db but I think I should just live with my system as it is for right now 😂
Ya, that's unfortunate that is only available here. When testing on the Insight, 60db was definitely too high, when listening to 50/55 it was more that the difference wasn't overwhelming one way or the other, so I opted for the lower gain/noise and now just went with that on the Chinook.

3+ hours last night and aside from loving what I'm hearing, I'm feeling very "satisfied" :)

Ya, that's unfortunate that is only available here. When testing on the Insight, 60db was definitely too high, when listening to 50/55 it was more that the difference wasn't overwhelming one way or the other, so I opted for the lower gain/noise and now just went with that on the Chinook.

3+ hours last night and aside from loving what I'm hearing, I'm feeling very "satisfied" :)

From what i gather the factory can change the transformer inside so I suppose I could ask upscale if they could get one supplied with 240v power and see if they’d ship, or if it’s less than 20kg i could use my An Post US redelivery service. It does seem unlikely, a hassle and has the potential for big customs. We will see in the future when I’ve saved a bit more and am feeling a bit less sensible...

GlaringWanCowbird-max-1mb.gif

How are you finding the VC-S2?
Got my eye on one.

Great

So the first thing is it’s very convenient...ready to use whenever, dont need to wait and build a batch of records up to clean as per my spin clean. I mixed a small batch of solution up, and then kept the leftover sealed up for any new arrivals .
It’s really easy to use, and definitely improves new vinyl to pretty much zero static and pops etc , highlights the quality (or not) of a pressing
On used vinyl the clean is obvious , and I’ve found that it’s so easy to repeat clean for those nosier albums that you can really make a diff..

But the best thing for me (and what pushes it past the spin clean easily) is the zero drying time ..literally the vacuum sucked the moisture and drys the record instantly, ready for a new sleeve , or even a straight play from the cleaner to the deck. Stops me fretting about warping and moisture..

Is it worth £400+ ( I managed to get one of those £75 off deals with eBay U.K.),
yep..
it’s just such a great piece of kit to have at your disposal...

(and my spin clean cost £75 and I thought that was a lot, but it’s done me well for 6 years..)

How are you finding the VC-S2?
Got my eye on one.
Peter Tyson have one left with the £75 off code. Thats where most us uk lot picked up ours

Back