Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

My system now has a much better home than when I first posted it in here. I moved it from my nightstand to the living room. I still need to figure out exactly what I'll put the turntable on. Maybe I'll replace the TV stand with something wider. I upgraded from the U-turn's built-in phone preamp to a Sutherland. The cartridge went from a Denon HOMC to a Grado Gold, and the item that inspired me to move this: The Bottlehead Kaiju and Zu speakers!

I still have all the Schiit from the original post, and I found the Valhalla 2 makes a fine preamp. I also still have no desire to replace the U-turn.

Installed.jpg

My system now has a much better home than when I first posted it in here. I moved it from my nightstand to the living room. I still need to figure out exactly what I'll put the turntable on. Maybe I'll replace the TV stand with something wider. I upgraded from the U-turn's built-in phone preamp to a Sutherland. The cartridge went from a Denon HOMC to a Grado Gold, and the item that inspired me to move this: The Bottlehead Kaiju and Zu speakers!

I still have all the Schiit from the original post, and I found the Valhalla 2 makes a fine preamp. I also still have no desire to replace the U-turn.

View attachment 50041

Two little things. My temptation with the turntable would be this. Could you shuffle unit with the DVDs and Blu-Rays 5 or 10 cm to the left. I’d then get A turntable isolation shelf and wall mount it between that and the tele. You could maybe get a 1x2 Kallax/Kallax equivalent slotted underneath it to store a few records or hifi/turntable paraphernalia. It would have it at a nicer height to be working with and would give you great isolation as it’d be completely isolated from the floor.

The other thing I’d do is move those speakers off the wall, that close in and you can cause issues with the definition and prominence of bass. If you could move them both 10/20cm forward without affecting circulation space I think you’d be pretty damn happy with the outcome.

Last edited:
Two little things. My temptation with the turntable would be this. Could you shuffle unit with the DVDs and Blu-Rays 5 or 10 cm to the left. I’d then get A turntable isolation shelf and wall mount it between that and the tele. You could maybe get a 1x2 Kallax/Kallax equivalent slotted underneath it to store a few records or hifi/turntable paraphernalia. It would have it at a nicer height to be working with and would give you great isolation as it’d be completely isolated from the floor.

The other thing I’d do is move those speakers off the wall, that close in and you can cause issues with the definition and prominence of bass. If you could move them both 10/20cm forward without affecting circulation space I think you’d be pretty damn happy with the outcome.
Excellent ideas. An added bonus would be that the right speaker wouldn't be tucked behind that cabinet like it is now.

I'll see what I can do with that space. I might need to shift everything to the left to give the right speaker more room.

Maybe I also need to break down and get a smaller wall-mountable TV. Then I can put a Kallax or something below it. That would have to wait until my bank account finishes recovering from the Souls.

Excellent ideas. An added bonus would be that the right speaker wouldn't be tucked behind that cabinet like it is now.

I'll see what I can do with that space. I might need to shift everything to the left to give the right speaker more room.

Maybe I also need to break down and get a smaller wall-mountable TV. Then I can put a Kallax or something below it. That would have to wait until my bank account finishes recovering from the Souls.

Im not going to tell you not to do that but if you like your current tv and don’t want to spend lots more money a 1x2 kallax/equivalent is likely to be around $40 and the wall mounted shelves seem to start at $180 with the cheapest pro-ject one and rise from there. I’d definitely give playing with pulling the speakers out a little bit from the wall though, thats free and should make a difference! To be honest you could even sit the tt on top of the 1x2 kallax/equivalent if you really want to cut down on the spend, it should be wide enough!

Im not going to tell you not to do that but if you like your current tv and don’t want to spend lots more money a 1x2 kallax/equivalent is likely to be around $40 and the wall mounted shelves seem to start at $180 with the cheapest pro-ject one and rise from there. I’d definitely give playing with pulling the speakers out a little bit from the wall though, thats free and should make a difference! To be honest you could even sit the tt on top of the 1x2 kallax/equivalent if you really want to cut down on the spend, it should be wide enough!
Remember you can customize the Kallax a bit to house some of your gear as well as albums. Maybe get a 2x4, leave out 2 divider on the top and wall mount your TV, the Kallax isn't super expensive, I think $80, and wall mounts aren't either.

You'll have something like this, but not in 2 separate pieces ;)
Take a look at which way the support boards run and what you may be placing on them, with LPs on the bottom, you should be fine.

20191128_131014.jpg

Remember you can customize the Kallax a bit to house some of your gear as well as albums. Maybe get a 2x4, leave out 2 divider on the top and wall mount your TV, the Kallax isn't super expensive, I think $80, and wall mounts aren't either.

You'll have something like this, but not in 2 separate pieces ;)
Take a look at which way the support boards run and what you may be placing on them, with LPs on the bottom, you should be fine.

View attachment 50072

That looks good I’m slowly redoing a room to house all the vinyl and CDs from another room, I might Use that idea

I really like the idea of their Max Turntable stand to, because I have a smaller space to work with and like that there is some extra vinyl storage included, but at $700 it seems steep for what it is. They were on sale for about $500 (I think, number may be slightly off) a month or two back and kind of wish I had jumped on it then.

I definitely kept these guys on my radar. Expensive, but man do they look nice!
I really like the idea of their Max Turntable stand to, because I have a smaller space to work with and like that there is some extra vinyl storage included, but at $700 it seems steep for what it is. They were on sale for about $500 (I think, number may be slightly off) a month or two back and kind of wish I had jumped on it then.
I agree they do some beautiful work, but the price tag is a bit steep, not that it isn't worth it, craftsmanship is worth it, but with more affordable options available its tough.

Back