Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

The Gyro lives again;
Photo 04-06-2020, 16 33 46.jpg

The Gyro has been fitted with an SME M2 arm for the last few years but unfortunately, that’s developed a ground issue that is going to be a bit of a pig to fix. Thankfully, it is fairly adaptable when it comes to arms so today I’ve changed the arm board over to one that follows the old Rega (single hole) mounting pattern and fitted a Vertere SG-1 to it.

Photo 04-06-2020, 15 13 20.jpg

The SG-1 the ‘cheaper’ of the two Vertere arms (all things are relative but the big arm is very spendy indeed) and uses a sort of ‘locked unipivot’ bearing and is made from a medley of very nice materials. It would be wrong to say fitting it has been ‘fun’ (it’s still rather fiddly) but it has been fairly hassle free and the results are impressive. I used the SME because it was easy to swap carts on so I was expecting the Vertere to be better but, even so, I’m surprised at how much better it’s already turning out to be. I’ve got some beer chilling and I think I’m going to make a night of it.

Photo 04-06-2020, 16 33 57.jpg

Go on spill!

My guess is the matching DAC and a digital coax cable. Warm?
.......and to actually spill, lol

I had the DAC1 pinned on a few places to see if one would pop up, but was also looking into a few other options. The other options started around $750, which isn't terrible, but my biggest concern/question, much like the CD player was how much will I actually use it. Now, I'm surprised I use the CD player as much as I do, which is a good thing, but I'm finding the reason to be two fold.

A. Working from home now has kind of changed some things, it's great to be able to listen to music all day long, but I'm finding that during "work hours" the CD player is a perfect solution because of how I'm listening. I've found I listen to CDs, at the moment" differently than LPs. I'm listening, but not "focusing" on the music. Plus, lets face it, if I get caught up in something I don't have to worry about getting the needle off the LP at the end of a side. Side note, lately when I sit down to spin an LP I really enjoy the experience and sound.

B. Filling the gap for LPs I don't have, can't find, aren't available, are poorly pressed or don't want to pay for. Quality over quantity has really paid off, both figuratively and literally. Being able to fill the gap has made me even more selective as to what goes to vinyl, while those choices usually cost more, I am getting "better" albums and Grail's from my purchases.

I think both of these points came into play with the DAC, an HD-DAC1 popped up on eBay, like new, box, paperwork and all the accessories for $450 shipped. So now it was a question of "is it a deal". The one thing I don't think this DAC is going to do is improve the CD quality, but I'm ok with that, CDs have been sounding great and I was really looking for a Spotify/Digital file solution. As far as that goes, the DAC1 is pretty solid and at that price probably a good drop in point to see how much I actually end up using it.

If it becomes a "solid" part of the system we'll revisit an upgrade down the line, I'm sure I could move the DAC1 or most likely, actually move it to another part of the house and have it set up for all the mobile music users in the house ;)

.......and to actually spill, lol

I had the DAC1 pinned on a few places to see if one would pop up, but was also looking into a few other options. The other options started around $750, which isn't terrible, but my biggest concern/question, much like the CD player was how much will I actually use it. Now, I'm surprised I use the CD player as much as I do, which is a good thing, but I'm finding the reason to be two fold.

A. Working from home now has kind of changed some things, it's great to be able to listen to music all day long, but I'm finding that during "work hours" the CD player is a perfect solution because of how I'm listening. I've found I listen to CDs, at the moment" differently than LPs. I'm listening, but not "focusing" on the music. Plus, lets face it, if I get caught up in something I don't have to worry about getting the needle off the LP at the end of a side. Side note, lately when I sit down to spin an LP I really enjoy the experience and sound.

B. Filling the gap for LPs I don't have, can't find, aren't available, are poorly pressed or don't want to pay for. Quality over quantity has really paid off, both figuratively and literally. Being able to fill the gap has made me even more selective as to what goes to vinyl, while those choices usually cost more, I am getting "better" albums and Grail's from my purchases.

I think both of these points came into play with the DAC, an HD-DAC1 popped up on eBay, like new, box, paperwork and all the accessories for $450 shipped. So now it was a question of "is it a deal". The one thing I don't think this DAC is going to do is improve the CD quality, but I'm ok with that, CDs have been sounding great and I was really looking for a Spotify/Digital file solution. As far as that goes, the DAC1 is pretty solid and at that price probably a good drop in point to see how much I actually end up using it.

If it becomes a "solid" part of the system we'll revisit an upgrade down the line, I'm sure I could move the DAC1 or most likely, actually move it to another part of the house and have it set up for all the mobile music users in the house ;)

Yeah the DAC is definitely a solid option and it allows you to run a USB from the computer or connect a cheap streaming/file solution really easy too if you ever revisit that itch.

Hear you on the digital with working from home, I’ve been spinning loads of CDs and using Roon a tonne whilst that’s been happening, It’s so much easier to just have an album playing fully through and not having to get up to turn or lift the needle if I’ve my head stuck in a complex case when it ends.

i also have a third reason why I kept the CD player as an integral component. 7 years back when I got the turntable I had 1200-1400ish CDs. I’ve culled that down to about 620 CDs and about 20 SACDs, with about 850ish vinyl records. Never mind the quality argument for shitty preses like Bon Iver and the fact that a lot of my beloved landfill indie from my mid 20s isn’t on vinyl, I just can’t afford to replace it all! I think vinyl will remain my number 1 but I’ll never not have a CD collection and be buying the occasional disc!

Yeah the DAC is definitely a solid option and it allows you to run a USB from the computer or connect a cheap streaming/file solution really easy too if you ever revisit that itch.

Hear you on the digital with working from home, I’ve been spinning loads of CDs and using Roon a tonne whilst that’s been happening, It’s so much easier to just have an album playing fully through and not having to get up to turn or lift the needle if I’ve my head stuck in a complex case when it ends.

i also have a third reason why I kept the CD player as an integral component. 7 years back when I got the turntable I had 1200-1400ish CDs. I’ve culled that down to about 620 CDs and about 20 SACDs, with about 850ish vinyl records. Never mind the quality argument for shitty preses like Bon Iver and the fact that a lot of my beloved landfill indie from my mid 20s isn’t on vinyl, I just can’t afford to replace it all! I think vinyl will remain my number 1 but I’ll never not have a CD collection and be buying the occasional disc!
If I still had all my CDs this wouldn't even be a discussion, lol. That being said, my only "obstacle", kind of, is the length of the USB run, its about 25 feet and I would prefer not to go wireless, so I'm thinking USB over Ethernet with an extender like the AV Access.

If I still had all my CDs this wouldn't even be a discussion, lol. That being said, my only "obstacle", kind of, is the length of the USB run, its about 25 feet and I would prefer not to go wireless, so I'm thinking USB over Ethernet with an extender like the AV Access.

Yeah that’s too long for a standard usb run alright, you’d need a succession of hubs to act as signal boosters and that’s not going to have a good effect on your sound. Personally I found going wireless and using the little box first for Spotify Connect & Airplay and then later Roon & AirPlay bit of course we all have our own priorities.

What I will say is that you don’t need to go even as far as the pi thing like I have, I think you said you’re an Android house? One of the little chromecast audios on eBay goes for pennies and the output is either analogue or digital so an optical cable with a mini toslink at the puck end and a normal toslink at the dac end would let you use Spotify connect and to cast from your phone/computer too.

Otherwise your USB over Ethernet sounds like a plan!

Yeah that’s too long for a standard usb run alright, you’d need a succession of hubs to act as signal boosters and that’s not going to have a good effect on your sound. Personally I found going wireless and using the little box first for Spotify Connect & Airplay and then later Roon & AirPlay bit of course we all have our own priorities.

What I will say is that you don’t need to go even as far as the pi thing like I have, I think you said you’re an Android house? One of the little chromecast audios on eBay goes for pennies and the output is either analogue or digital so an optical cable with a mini toslink at the puck end and a normal toslink at the dac end would let you use Spotify connect and to cast from your phone/computer too.

Otherwise your USB over Ethernet sounds like a plan!
I actually thought about that, but there are a couple things, most of my house is Apple users, I'm the only on on an Android, secondly, they're not in any way, shape or form interested in sound or the "hobby", meaning, giving them access to the experience is a waste of time, they are the poster children for iUsers, device and earbuds, lol. So with all that, I kind of went the Ethernet option, for $60 it'll probably yield the best results.

I actually thought about that, but there are a couple things, most of my house is Apple users, I'm the only on on an Android, secondly, they're not in any way, shape or form interested in sound or the "hobby", meaning, giving them access to the experience is a waste of time, they are the poster children for iUsers, device and earbuds, lol. So with all that, I kind of went the Ethernet option, for $60 it'll probably yield the best results.

True, but it’s connected to your hifi so it’s only allowing access to it when the amp and dac are switched to it, its more a convenience for you to send to it from your phone/computer v a long cable run lol.

It does work from apple products from apps that support it (Spotify and tune in radio are two) just not natively which is why as a person with everything Apple it just wasn’t right for me.

True, but it’s connected to your hifi so it’s only allowing access to it when the amp and dac are switched to it, its more a convenience for you to send to it from your phone/computer v a long cable run lol.

It does work from apple products from apps that support it (Spotify and tune in radio are two) just not natively which is why as a person with everything Apple it just wasn’t right for me.
I'm not used to things being for my convenience around here, lol

Hey, there are other, way worse and very unhealthy ways to spend money! That's what I tell myself when the bills arrive, at least...
I am proud of the fact that NONE of this is on credit, it's all paid for, we moved a lot of stuff through eBay to get this insanity, I mean, system put together, lol. One hobby liquidates to support the other.........I'm good with that, and so is my wife ;)

I am proud of the fact that NONE of this is on credit, it's all paid for, we moved a lot of stuff through eBay to get this insanity, I mean, system put together, lol. One hobby liquidates to support the other.........I'm good with that, and so is my wife ;)
No debt here either. Deals can be had if you can be patient, especially if used. Also buying things with good resale value to support the future upgrade has made a big difference for me. I can't imagine my hobby having to do with a car or Airstreams, or something bigger like that... ka-CHING!

Are there enough spare sockets in the Panamax to plug everything in now 😂

Looks good though, the CD player and the DAC full the space nicely, gives a more balanced look to the whole set up!
No, there are not, lol. That's another issue to take care of in time. I have a long surge/power bank behind the unit, everything on the right is going through the Panamax, the left is going to need its own unit.

And yes, the new additions balance out nicely............also filled the remaining space, so we don't have room for anything else, right? Yes, maybe.....

No, there are not, lol. That's another issue to take care of in time. I have a long surge/power bank behind the unit, everything on the right is going through the Panamax, the left is going to need its own unit.

And yes, the new additions balance out nicely............also filled the remaining space, so we don't have room for anything else, right? Yes, maybe.....

Just to pose the question, what more would you want? Barring the second Panamax of course. You’ve 2 complete vinyl systems, a CD player and soon the ability to do streamy stuff lol! I imagine that you’re, similar to me, at a stage where it’s either replacement upgrades or tinkering?

Back