Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

Haha I have no idea, maybe? That's really interesting though, I mean it definitely changed the sound!
1 point, AC cables affect sound.
No doubt. I'm emailing the president of the company. I had some quality issues on the RCAs and he was really responsive in swapping them out. So they have some proven quality issues. Maybe this is another example. But yes there is delta on the wrong side of the bell curve sound wise.

Or how about 125 and BenQ?

View attachment 181227
periscope-jack-sparrow.gif

A poorly made power cord can, in fact, f**k up your sound by having high contact resistance due to a poor joint.

Test #1: Does the cord have UL markings? If not, don’t use it.

If I were so inclined to upgrade a power cord, I would upgrade to a hospital grade cord instead of some audiophile foolery. Those cords need to be certified with additional UL and NEMA standards over and above standard consumer grade cords. At least I’d know the cord could pass its rated current safely.

Edit: I’m not looking to disparage this aspect of the hobby as much as I’d advocate for safety in design and construction over less tangible values.

Last edited:
View attachment 181185
Got the Leak hooked up. Definitely a bit less chunky than the old M6i was. Set up is screaming for a vintage speaker set now. Might need to start a Jbl L100 classic fund

I don’t know if this is any use to you but this store in Scotland has a big chunk off open boxes of the new black special editions of the L100s and L82s in a summer sale…

I don’t know if this is any use to you but this store in Scotland has a big chunk off open boxes of the new black special editions of the L100s and L82s in a summer sale…

I ended up ordering them from Peter Tyson. Picked up that L82s for just under a grand with Cashback taken in to account and managed to use a load of dormant audio affair points to get the stands cheapish. Worked out £1100 all in but had to settle for black grills. Its a tough life but at least they’ll hide the dog hair.

link for the speakers for any uk based folk feeling deadly

Speakers arrive Monday. Annoyingly I’ve 4 days wait on the stands. It’s been a crazy, crazy week. At least the Technics survived the cull.

Now for headphones….

So when I said the plan was to buy it while it’s still cheap and then wait until next year to mount it? Well I wasn’t so much lying to all of you as to myself…

The Hana has 22 months on it so I’m sure it was nearly time anyway! This sounds lovely already on the first side but it does ride very very low. It’s going to be a fun night going through my favourite records as a test!

IMG_6621.jpegIMG_6622.jpegIMG_6625.jpegIMG_6626.jpeg

Last edited:
So when I said the plan was to buy it while it’s still cheap and then wait until next year to mount it? Well I wasn’t do much lying to all of you as to myself…

The Hana has 22 months on it so I’m sure it was nearly time anyway! This sounds lovely already on the first side but it does ride very very low. It’s going to be a fun night going through my favourite records as a test!

View attachment 181320View attachment 181321View attachment 181322View attachment 181323
Grats! Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like you might have to use a shim to get your VTA correct. That cart shouldn't be ridding that low?

Grats! Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like you might have to use a shim to get your VTA correct. That cart shouldn't be ridding that low?

Perhaps. The tonearm isn’t perfectly flat with this one…

I did have a Grado woodie before that ran low too. I might look into shims but that would be a pain given how the tonearm screws to these tables from below and one of the screws is under the rca connection box…

Perhaps. The tonearm isn’t perfectly flat with this one…

I did have a Grado woodie before that ran low too. I might look into shims but that would be a pain given how the tonearm screws to these tables from below and one of the screws is under the rca connection box…
That does sound like a PTIA. Curious to hear your feedback on how the cart sounds though.

That does sound like a PTIA. Curious to hear your feedback on how the cart sounds though.

Yeah project do now sell a shim and it’s not expensive and from the manual for it this a doable job with patience and precision but I’m not always the best at either lol!

I may order it anyway, isn’t expensive, and make my mind up when it arrives.

Yes so this sounds brilliant but it really is too low down, lower than the Grado even so I’ve ordered the shim, Amazon will have it with me next Thursday. Wish me luck!
I'll wait with baited breath for your shim addition, as I think I have to do it to mine as I went from the 2M Blue to the 540ML and have the acrylic platter which as I understand benefits from having the shim installed. Also, where did you get those cartridge thumb screws at? I'd LOVE to have them over the tiny screws that normally come with a cart.

I'll wait with baited breath for your shim addition, as I think I have to do it to mine as I went from the 2M Blue to the 540ML and have the acrylic platter which as I understand benefits from having the shim installed. Also, where did you get those cartridge thumb screws at? I'd LOVE to have them over the tiny screws that normally come with a cart.

I didn’t need the shim for my acrylic platter because I have the older debut carbon and it’s the same depth as the older metal platter plus the thicker mat they came with. For the newer pro and evo I gather it’s definitely needed.

They’re soundsmith ez Mount screws. You get a package that contains 4 different sets which are each made of different materials and weigh different amounts They’re expensive for screws but they make adjusting the cartridge way easier and the heavier ones are handy when using lighter cartridges.

I didn’t need the shim for my acrylic platter because I have the older debut carbon and it’s the same depth as the older metal platter plus the thicker mat they came with. For the newer pro and evo I gather it’s definitely needed.
Good to know. I have an older carbon too, so I may not have to do the shim after all. Phew. Good info on the screws. The reduced adjustment hassle alone is worth it, and I know the 540ML is a fairly light cartridge.

So when I said the plan was to buy it while it’s still cheap and then wait until next year to mount it? Well I wasn’t so much lying to all of you as to myself…

View attachment 181320View attachment 181321View attachment 181322View attachment 181323
Haha! Fuck willpower. Awesome cart. It definitely rides low, so I think level is the key.

E196D125-4D07-4815-86BB-A3ED804DC7EC.jpeg

Attachments

• F9B3C678-0314-487B-A6BF-4AFF7706647E.jpeg
    F9B3C678-0314-487B-A6BF-4AFF7706647E.jpeg
    149.6 KB · Views: 3
Back