Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

Thank you!

So it’s the esprit sb model of the debut carbon. That comes packaged with the upgraded acrylic platter and a built in speed controller.

The wooden surround is an isolation box that I had built for me by www.acoustand.co.uk that, I think, really sets it off and makes it’s look just right in my system :)

Nice! I don’t think the Esprit SB was out when I owned a Debut Carbon. Mine ended up having a motor hum issue that I just couldn’t live with, otherwise absolutely loved the table. When I used a speed box with it at 33, hum completely disappeared, but at 45, right back. It was too bad! Have they since solved this?

Nice! I don’t think the Esprit SB was out when I owned a Debut Carbon. Mine ended up having a motor hum issue that I just couldn’t live with, otherwise absolutely loved the table. When I used a speed box with it at 33, hum completely disappeared, but at 45, right back. It was too bad! Have they since solved this?

Oddly that was only ever an issue on the 16v US tables. We never had that on the 15v European ones!
When they upgraded the whole line 2 or 3 years ago they gave you the 15v motor and I’ve not seen any complaints about it on your side of the ocean since!

So happy we’re back in business! Love the Audio Hardware forum!! Good to see all the usual suspects posting. All feels right with the (audio) world. Goin with a new avatar for the new forum.

Posting my humble, small apartment setup to celebrate. Picture is from listening position!
Fluance RT85 > MoFi StudioPhono > Focal Alpha 50’s
I also have a line run into my office in the next room where I do my audio work, so I can listen on my Mackie HR824’s and Dynaudio BM5A MkII’s as well.

Oddly that was only ever an issue on the 16v US tables. We never had that on the 15v European ones!
When they upgraded the whole line 2 or 3 years ago they gave you the 15v motor and I’ve not seen any complaints about it on your side of the ocean since!

That’s great to hear. Looks like a winner!

Joe what did you use for the feet under your Ikea Isolation plank hacks?

EDIT - Oh wait, I just looked and those look like full custom jobs. Where did those come from again?

Last edited:
I've actually got a new in box Shure V15 Type III in my closet. I've gone back and forth on getting it fit with a JICO stylus and seeing how it sounds.
You have to do it. I had a type II (?) I think it was. It was phenomenal. Killed me when it died. Think I read that the last few are in the Smithsonian.

Speaking of killing me, one of the loves of my life and the bane of my existence. My warbly old Hitachi 550.

htt3.jpg

The speed issues drove me nuts. It might sound like an exaggeration but it really messed with my head. If I can no longer trust the stability or 33 and a third then what can I trust. I tried fiddling with the trimpots etc but she was like an uber-sexy abusive girlfriend, messing with my mind. I mean I LOVED this record player. But she never loved me back. The occasional tease of sumptuous aural pleasure to string me along then BAM, right through the heart.

htt4.jpg

"Damn you, sexy bitch. Damn you to HELL."

I have two vinyl setups (my other two systems in my office and garage are digital only, so f ‘em).

My upstairs 2 channel system that I listen to most of the day (I work from home):
  • Parasound Halo Integrated amp (“HINT”)
  • Revel Performa3 F208’s crossed over @80Hz
  • JL Audio Dominion D110 subs (x2)
  • Refurbished & modded AR “The Turntable” (Hana EL cart, Merril subplatter, Cruise Control 2.0, Vinyl Nirvana pulley and springs, Funk Achromat & Michelle counterweight on a Rega RB-301 arm with VTA adjustment and Cardas wiring, damped plinth, adjustable feet)
  • Rega Aria phono pre
  • Auralic Aries Mini streamer w/LPS
  • Mytek Liberty DAC w/SBooster LPS
  • Ifi iUSB Micro
  • Furman Elite power conditioner
  • Furutech speaker & Wireworld USB & AudioQuest interconnects and power cables.
  • ATS Acoustics photo acoustic panels
  • Various other tweaks
View attachment 641

View attachment 521

View attachment 643

View attachment 644

Basement main system and theater:
  • Denon AVR-X7200WA (powers Atmos channels, figuring out what new preamp to get. Probably a Lexicon MC for Dirac and built in Harman curves)
  • ATI AT542NC amp for L/R speakers
  • Emotiva XPA-5 for center and surrounds (both amps are being replaced with ATI’s, a 543 for LCR duty and a 528 for the rest)
  • SpeakerPower SP2-12000 for DSS passive subs
  • VPI “Super Prime Scout” w/ZU/Denon DL-103 MK 2 cart, 10.5” arm, VTa on the fly and a Funk Achromat. The VPI mat is there as a dustcover.
  • Sutherland 20/20 phono pre
  • Oppo UDP-203 for shiny discs
  • Auralic Aries Mini streamer w/LPS & 1 TB SSD internal drive
  • PS4
  • Roku Ultra streamer (?, the 4K one)
  • JBL Synthesis SCL-2 left/right
  • JBL Synthesis SCL-4 SL/SR/SBL/SBR
  • Revel C763L x 4 for Atmos
  • Deep Sea Sounds Mariana 18S passive subs (x4). 1 per room corner.
  • Seaton Sound Submersive 2400 x 2 nearfield subs, behind sofa.
  • MiniDSP 2x4HD for sub distance/level setting
  • JVC RS-520 projector
  • Stewart Firehawk 2 120” 2.40:1 acoustically transparent retractable screen
  • Panasonic 60ZT60 plasma
  • Corner and “Monster” Bass traps from GIK Acoustics
  • Photo 4”x2’x4’ acoustic panels from ATS acoustics
  • Furman power conditioners (x3)
  • Shunyata power cables on everything but amps. Those have custom cables.
  • AudioQuest, Blue Jeans, and Zu interconnects and speaker cables.
  • Other stuff I’m forgetting.
View attachment 645

View attachment 646

View attachment 522

The VPI is in the storage room behind the audio rack on a custom made wall shelf with lots of isolation due to the copious amounts two of vas’s pressure this system can produce.

View attachment 649
You are my god.

Joe what did you use for the feet under your Ikea Isolation plank hacks?

EDIT - Oh wait, I just looked and those look like full custom jobs. Where did those come from again?

The custom ones under the amps came from the same place as my isolation box for the tt, www.acoustand.co.uk I haven’t got around to getting feet for the Ikea boards under the other components yet but I’m just planning on the standard pads designed to go under washing machines and the like

Last edited:
I guess I haven't listed my system components here yet...long post...sorry.

VPI Traveler - Version 2 - Grado Gold w/ 8MZ
H0FCnm.jpg

Marantz PM6006 (and the cheap $50 Kindle for Spotify streaming - not currently using the Pluto Preamp)
7rbGbf.jpg

VPI 16.5
7dgsqt.jpg

Klipsch Heresy - w/ Crites Crossovers
TtAae6.jpg

Not pictured
Marantz DV-6500 (For CD's, DVDA and SACD's)

Retired or needs refurbishment equipment

Technics SL-3300
Dual 1257
Sony RX77ES Cassette deck - needs new belts
Marantz 2245 - needs total refurb - at least a new power cord so I don't get shocked again.
Pioneer DVL-919 Laserdisc player
Pioneer SX-535
Yamaha CR-620

bERgRi.jpg

A) I don’t have this or any connection to it.
B) Between the costs of summer camps for my son with special needs and the plumbing fiasco I just had, plus wanting to save for a new front end on my main system I’m not in a position to get it.
C) Oh man, do I wish A and B didn’t exist. I lust for this.

13DEC828-EDC6-4956-BBC1-10C12EBF3127.jpeg

I used to have a huge Kuzma with Airline tonearm (see avatar) but that was just too much hassle, so a couple of years ago simplified with this Brinkmann with Kuzma 4Point arm. Unfortunately, a relocation with work has meant that I lost my music room so all my kit is in boxes. At least my record collection continues to grow in anticipation of soon being in a position to get set up properly again.

SFG12973 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

SFG12982 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

I used to have a huge Kuzma with Airline tonearm (see avatar) but that was just too much hassle, so a couple of years ago simplified with this Brinkmann with Kuzma 4Point arm. Unfortunately, a relocation with work has meant that I lost my music room so all my kit is in boxes. At least my record collection continues to grow in anticipation of soon being in a position to get set up properly again.

SFG12973 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

SFG12982 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

That looks amazing!

Here's my setup (apologise for the pics but I can only upload photos taken on "food" setting which seems to blur everything but the middle).
Gradually upgraded everything to a level I'm happy with. I don't have an audiophile's hearing so happy to stop here and buy lots of records instead.
Clearaudio Concept turntable
20190521_153351.jpg
Quad amp and pre-amp
20190521_153400.jpg
Tannoy speakers
20190521_153412.jpg

Here's my setup (apologise for the pics but I can only upload photos taken on "food" setting which seems to blur everything but the middle).
Gradually upgraded everything to a level I'm happy with. I don't have an audiophile's hearing so happy to stop here and buy lots of records instead.
View attachment 1577
Quad amp and pre-amp
View attachment 1576
Tannoy speakers
View attachment 1575

I wasn't sure where you are located. Seeing your system (nice by the way) I figured you were in Europe. Sometimes you can tell.

View attachment 1577
Quad amp and pre-amp
View attachment 1576
Tannoy speakers
View attachment 1575

Nice system! Cool to see someone else pairing Quad with Tannoy!

Probably the only thing I'd consider trading the Zus for would be a pair of Tannoy Stirling Golds.
View attachment 1586

The Stirling and the Turnbury from that range are on my list with the Q Concept 500. I’m seriously looking at the Zu’s too now since you’ve got them but what is putting me off is that I can’t demo them and is a 60 day trial worth it if I have to ship them back across the Atlantic Ocean!

The Stirling and the Turnbury from that range are on my list with the Q Concept 500. I’m seriously looking at the Zu’s too now since you’ve got them but what is putting me off is that I can’t demo them and is a 60 day trial worth it if I have to ship them back across the Atlantic Ocean!

I doubt you'll ship the Souls back once you have them positioned correctly.

Back