Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

So when I have nothing between the two I have a faint, almost inaudiable hum in the right channel. You can hear it if you put your head to the speaker.

Add either of my XLR cables to either channel and the hum in the right channel becomes loud.

The left channel is as good as gold!
I've had that since i got the amp last year. A hum with a little bit of crackle and it's only noticeable when your head is next to the speaker. Still don't know what it could be.

So when I have nothing between the two I have a faint, almost inaudiable hum in the right channel. You can hear it if you put your head to the speaker.

Add either of my XLR cables to either channel and the hum in the right channel becomes loud.

Try a regular RCA cable. I’ve seen weird things like:

Blue Jeans RCA plus no ground= hum
Blue Jeans RCA plus groud= no hum

Normal. But look at this:

Pangea Phono with integrated ground- hum
Pangea Phono with integrated ground not connected- quiet. Blue Jeans plus ground is quieter.

Try switching your two center 12AU7s left to right.

Try a regular RCA cable. I’ve seen weird things like:

Blue Jeans RCA plus no ground= hum
Blue Jeans RCA plus groud= no hum

Normal. But look at this:

Pangea Phono with integrated ground- hum
Pangea Phono with integrated ground not connected- quiet. Blue Jeans plus ground is quieter.

Hum is still there.

Right channel

With no connect to preamp = low hum only when ear in speaker

RCA connected to preamp = hum is audiable further away

XLR connected to preamp = hum louder again - almost similar to how balanced is 6db louder as a method.

Last edited:
Hum is still there.

Right channel

With no connect to preamp = low hum only when ear in speaker

RCA connected to preamp = hum is audiable further away

XLR connected to preamp = hum louder again - almost similar to how balanced is 6db louder as a method.

Switched them over and remains on the right channel. It still gets louder when connected to the preamp

Edit: It only switches channel when I switch the speaker cables.

Last edited:
It’s feeling like it might be an amp issue depressingly. I’ll give it another shot tomorrow and if I can’t work it out I’ll have to get in touch with the dealer/PL
It sounds like an amp issue. Your shop should be able to connect it to one of their systems and verify. You’ve got stronger warranty/consumer protection laws there as opposed to the States, so they’ll get you sorted out.

I submit defeat, for now…

My poor living room is a mess of strewn cables ☹️
Sounds like an issue with the amp. Working amps should just work and with typical home speakers should be silent. NO hum, no hiss, nothing... agree with @HiFi Guy it's time to let the dealer take over from here.

So i figured out why the hum wasn’t in the left channel. When connecting and disconnecting i must have hit the switch to mono lmao!

Just fired an e-mail off to the store to see what he says.

Hope it gets sorted, Joe. Nothing more dispiriting than having a new toy play up on you.

Fingers crossed, he was a really sound fella when I was up there yesterday, was showing me around all the super fancy turntables, and I’d be happy enough to use him again in the future if this works itself out!

Fingers crossed, he was a really sound fella when I was up there yesterday, was showing me around all the super fancy turntables, and I’d be happy enough to use him again in the future if this works itself out!
Hopefully it's a simple fix/correction.

Oops, originally posted in the wrong place.

Stuned! Ordered less than 24 hours ago and here it is.

.........was not expecting the "heft" this thing has, that being said, it sure is a looker in my opinion. Sleek, clean and simple :)
View attachment 102094
lqKlotB.png

Back