Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

I bet the bass was startling ? I heard one playing a Little Richard record once and was gobsmacked. He has a Fairchild belt drive with wooden tonearm now thats also very good. Many of those vintage Idler wheel's have great low end. A lot of the 301's end up in Japan in the hands of audiophile connoisseur's there for big money.
The Japanese connection is important. The 401 is technically an upgrade. The Japanese won’t buy them because in Japanese culture, the number 4 is bad luck. So that keeps prices a bit depressed on 401s. Me? I’d take either.

Edit: Garrard 301s and 401s were also used exclusively by the BBC, The big Garrard decks were the Technics of their day.

The Japanese connection is important. The 401 is technically an upgrade. The Japanese won’t buy them because in Japanese culture, the number 4 is bad luck. So that keeps prices a bit depressed on 401s. Me? I’d take either.

Edit: Garrard 301s and 401s were also used exclusively by the BBC, The big Garrard decks were the Technics of their day.

They seem to work ok for this guy too ;) (401 (L) and Lab 80 (R)

YGMTA2020_MAIN.jpeg

Last edited:
First post...glad to be here. This is a system I share with my family downstairs (The main system is upstairs, I'll post about it another time when I get a chance).

Turntable is a Thorens TD 124, SME 3009 Series III and a Schroder Reference Tonearm.
Amplifier is an Airtight ATM-1 (EL-34)
Preamplifier is Airtight ATC-1 with built in Phono Stage.
A second Passive Preamplifier, Airtight ATL-10a provides a remote control for volume and is in between the tube pre and power amps. It uses an ALPS RK-501 volume pot.

Speakers are the Marten Design Miles 5. Cables are Jorma Origo (Speaker, RCA) and Jorma No.2 (RCA)

50414482112_04f270ccb5_k.jpg

Last edited:
First post...glad to be here. This is a system I share with my family downstairs (The main system is upstairs, I'll post about it another time when I get a chance).
It is an enjoyable system...having 2 year old and a 9 year old though, it doesn't truly get the listening time it deserves. They rule that part of the roost! lol
Wait, so this is your secondary system, subject to the whims of a toddler? You have a better system upstairs? Oh my.

Turntable is a Thorens TD 124, SME 3009 Series III and a Schroder Reference Tonearm.
A second Passive Preamplifier, Airtight ATL-10a provides a remote control for volume and is in between the tube pre and power amps. It uses an ALPS RK-501 volume pot.

Speakers are the Marten Design Miles 5. Cables are Jorma Origo (Speaker, RCA) and Jorma No.2 (RCA)

Welcome!

Very nice set up :)

Welcome!!!
When you say share with your family...do you mean lil kids? I know there is not a chance in hell I’d put this set up around my 4 and 6 year old 😂😂

You will need to piece it together, but the system has changed a bit.

First, here is a slightly older picture of the main upstairs system in a small, but dedicated roo. Some of the record collection is shown...

23921215214_3524051c32_c.jpg

Here is a more updated "front view"....speakers have changed and few equipment changes or rotated out:
51202480842_6cddaf2168_k.jpg

Pardon the mess.

Last edited:
Welcome!!!
When you say share with your family...do you mean lil kids? I know there is not a chance in hell I’d put this set up around my 4 and 6 year old 😂😂

Yes, the kids have kept away from the setup for the most part. I just cover up the speakers and the toddler just stays away as its boring for him. Every now and then when the kids are away, I fire it up and truly enjoy it.

First, here is a slightly older picture of the main upstairs system in a small, but dedicated roo. Some of the record collection is shown...

Here is a more updated "front view"....speakers have changed and few equipment changes or rotated out:

Pardon the mess.
Yeah, that's fine and great and all, but can we see your mp3 collection? ;)

Pardon the mess.

Wonderful EAR/TDP among others that must sound just divine. Are you in the recording/audio business btw ?

Pardon the mess.
I can't even comprehend what is happening in there! Nice!

Pardon the mess.
Are you looking to adopt any grown children?

Wonderful EAR/TDP among others that must sound just divine. Are you in the recording/audio business btw ?
Thanks! Yes, I love EAR. I am just a hobbyist and love analog music in general. Enjoy digital as well, but only listen to MP3s if I cant get the lossless or Hi Rez files.

Though, Ive had a few curve balls thrown at me where the MP3 mastering has sounded better than the lossless. Good music is good music, regardless of format :)
Are you looking to adopt any grown children?
Only if you can contribute financial resources for a professionally designed listening room on the property! LoL. Then we can discuss surely. Haha

I can't even comprehend what is happening in there! Nice!
If you want to ask about anything, feel free to reach out and I can attempt to answer or clarify.

Nobody was born knowing any of this and we all learn from each other as we go along. 😀

I know how much I had to go through to even understand why I liked or didnt like something...so its not an easy task per se.

Back