Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

Having young kids necessitates rugs/carpet for me. I'm not getting down on the ground to play with them without one.

Although perhaps if I have some of that beer @Joe Mac mentioned my knees would no longer feel that pain :unsure:

But yea, I really like the sound dampening aspect @displayname mentioned, at least in the room where my system is now.

herringbone oak floor
I wanted to specifically add that this is my dream floor choice. I have yet to have it in a home, but I'm hoping if/when redo the flooring in our new house we go this route. Excellent choice.

And a rug won't hurt it one bit 😉

I wanted to specifically add that this is my dream floor choice. I have yet to have it in a home, but I'm hoping if/when redo the flooring in our new house we go this route. Excellent choice.

And a rug won't hurt it one bit 😉

I mean I can’t afford one, it’s my dream too, I was exaggerating to make a point, but I still don’t like rugs though. My hope is, when I redo my living room, to see if I can get a reclaimed church hall or school hall solid wood floor and have it laid out in a herringbone pattern.

This "no rugs" concept is crazy to me!
I do get taming down the number of rugs. I think we go a little too far with them (none on the walls yet, lol). My fiance loves rugs and we have at least 3 that she purchased with no plan of where they would go. When she sees a rug she likes, she gets it. Financially it's almost as bad as audio gear honestly, lol.
But even when I lived alone I still needed a few rugs... specifically for sound dampening. And not in the sense of my stereo needs, but because rooms feel cavernous and echo without them. They do tame down sounds throughout the house and warm things up a bit. I think the living room almost always needs one unless the living room happens to be carpet. And even then it still makes sense sometimes.

But back to the audio focus. If you have hardwood, and especially if you have concrete flooring, just try a large rug in your listening space. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the results.
Rugs are one of those things that are worth a certain price in my mind that bears absolutely zero resemblance to how insanely expensive they actually are. Every time I see a nice one I think "Sure I'd pay a couple hundred for that." Then I look at the price tag and it's about $2000.

So is carpet better for sound than wooden floors then?

Nothing is absolute, but this is a very safe bet.

Given all the limitations of a domestic setting it’s bordering on the insane to go down that wormhole anyway just get the bloody floors you like the most and put nice pictures, and big windows that let in tonnes of natural light, on your wall and enjoy. You’re not in a studio.

Last edited:
Given all the limitations of a domestic setting it’s bordering on the insane to go down that wormhole anyway just get the bloody floors you like the most and put nice pictures, and big windows that let in tonnes of natural light, on your wall and enjoy. You’re not in a studio.
It's a valid point, especially if the music space is a shared space.

But I'd probably still put down a rug, lol.

Finally uncluttered my set up yesterday by investing in a Vulcan audio rack from Audio Advisor in Espresso . The outlet it was in was problematic as well as having a bouncy floorboard underneath so I had to always tiptoe by it. There is a noticeable difference in sound. Cleaner,, crisper, tighter.
15994089427415055110805477061445.jpg15994089915532217494171461349182.jpg

Back