Kanye

Kanye West: Donda

6/10

i wouldn't even mind it this much

but this is the lowest rated kanye album pitchfork has done (that VH1 album doesn't count and you know it)

Jesus is King and ye both got low 7s.... like yeah donda is overlong, sloppy, and weirdly rushed.. but worse than JiK?

Why did p4k decide to pick off the grid as the song to review (with no BNM because look they weren't going to do that with Kanyes current antics)

It was one of the of worst songs in the album.. Kanye is not great on a brooklyn drill best especially in front of 2 who do it better
Off the grid is one of the better songs on the album

Kanye West: Donda

6/10

i wouldn't even mind it this much

but this is the lowest rated kanye album pitchfork has done (that VH1 album doesn't count and you know it)

Jesus is King and ye both got low 7s.... like yeah donda is overlong, sloppy, and weirdly rushed.. but worse than JiK?
Pitchfork doesn't review music they review who makes it.

Its somewhere in the low 7s for me

And my point wasn’t which one is a better artist, it’s who made a better album this year.
I understood your point, and my point was the last thing Nas did that was interesting was in the 90s. Give me Donda with all of its imperfections over KD2 any day of the week.

Also what a boring point. Like why go to a non Nas thread to talk about Nas? :sleep:

Last edited:
Nas delivers straight forward hip hop. No frills, what you see is what you get. It runs counter to some of the stuff that is coming out today, which is a little aloof and unique. Kanye has done a better job at adapting to this new fangled sound because that's the sound he came up on (and quite frankly, kind of invented). Nas came up during the golden age scene, and I don't think I've seen many of those golden-age artists adapt terribly well once the turn of the century hit.

Are there golden-age inspired artists out there today? Definitely. Guys like Joey Badass, among others. But that doesn't mean they're bringing anything new and exciting to the table.

I understood your point, and my point was the last thing Nas did that was interesting was in the 90s. Give me Donda with all of its imperfections over KD2 any day of the week.

Also what a boring point. Like why go to a non Nas thread to talk about Nas? :sleep:
For me, what I value about albums is consistency. Here we have two great artists. One that has famously struggled with consistency and another who has one of the most consistent discographies in music history. Kanye appears to have lost his ability to edit himself or he no longer has the people around him that used to help him do it so well. And on the other hand Nas finally got his shit together!

If we are comparing the two, which I have chosen to do for some reason, one is on the rise and the other is continuing a steep decline.

Nas wins 2021 in the fake, Nas x Kanye battle Royale!

And to your douche bag comment at the end. Nas and Kanye are both titans in the rap game and they both just released albums, so it’s not that big of a stretch to compare them.

Last edited:
Nas is a very skilled rapper who makes the most boring and repetitive paint by the numbers "Nas rap" KD2 is no exception. Is it better than what he's done recently? Yea marginally. But to come in here championing Nas of all people as just a device to talk shit is boring to me.

I'm not even saying Donda is a top 20 album in the genre this year, but Nas?!? Really? You can do better

And to your douche bag comment at the end. Nas and Kanye are both titans in the rap game and they both just released albums, so it’s not that big of a stretch to compare them.
And if you want to call me a douche bag be my guest, but your FTFY set off my instant dislike for anything you had to say going forward, and yet I still didn't stoop so low as calling you names. I dont have the tolerance or patience to talk to people like you anymore, so have fun with your masterful Nas album I guess

It's been roughly 48 hours since I popped The Donda

Side Effects: I can't stop singing these damn hooks in my head! Some of them are infectious AF yo. GUESS WHO'S GOING TO JAIL TONIGHT (night night night) GUESS WHO'S GOING TO JAIL TONIGHT!?!

ILL BE HONEST....

WE ALL LIARS!!!

and...HE GOT IT ON REMOTE CONTROOOOOOOOOOOOL

amongst others....idk if it will stop.

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again, but every album would benefit from a Jada feature. Between him and Jay Electro dropping his best verse in years, I barely notice that Jesus Lord pt2 is so long

And if you want to call me a douche bag be my guest, but your FTFY set off my instant dislike for anything you had to say going forward, and yet I still didn't stoop so low as calling you names. I dont have the tolerance or patience to talk to people like you anymore, so have fun with your masterful Nas album I guess
I didn’t call you a douche bag, I said that your comment was. Even though your comments rarely are, you must know it doesn’t come off as kind.

As far as Nas/Kanye...I feel like you already know what you're going to get out of a Nas album. Some are better than the other, but it's been a long time since I've been excited for a Nas release. I haven't listened through KD2 yet, but will at some point as it seemed to be well received, I do like Nas, and I like the Lauryn Hill song.

Never know what you'll get with Kanye though. Donda has been getting better and better as I'm listening to random songs now every so often throughout the days. Not even sure what songs are even weak on it. 'Junta' maybe a weaker one, but I still like the organs, and of course the Bucks/Giannis shoutout.
And to keep on subject, this song with Kanye was 🔥 back then

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again, but every album would benefit from a Jada feature. Between him and Jay Electro dropping his best verse in years, I barely notice that Jesus Lord pt2 is so long
Someone help me understand because Jesus Lord Pt 2 just sounded like Jesus Lord Pt 1 played again (the exact same verses) with an added verse -- what am I missing? With Father Stretch my Hands pt 1 and 2 were 2 separate songs. Why didn't he just call it Jesus Lord (Extended Mix)?

Someone help me understand because Jesus Lord Pt 2 just sounded like Jesus Lord Pt 1 played again (the exact same verses) with an added verse -- what am I missing? With Father Stretch my Hands pt 1 and 2 were 2 separate songs. Why didn't he just call it Jesus Lord (Extended Mix)?
Aren't all the pt2s just alt versions of the songs on this one? Thats why they are thrown in at the end, it's like a deluxe version. I dont even listen to Jesus Lord pt1 because there's no Lox.

Aren't all the pt2s just alt versions of the songs on this one? Thats why they are thrown in at the end, it's like a deluxe version. I dont even listen to Jesus Lord pt1 because there's no Lox.
Yea it seems to me like this was a stunt. Put out all 27 tracks edited version only blame universal so next week he can release the explicit version with a finalized track list just to fuck with Drake

Back