June 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Red (N&G's Version)

Day 30: All Too Well (10 Minute Version)

V/A - Woodstock Four

69EBF7B4-0D07-4855-9995-6D83305C3124.jpeg

A lot of the songs played at this festival went on for longer than they did in the studio versions, and this comp holds some of the longest of them all. 4 of the 7 songs on here go for longer than 13 minutes and Jefferson Airplane’s “Wooden Ships” takes up the entire first side (21:11)!

29 – The Very First Night
To me this is one of those songs that I’d probably like but then I remember another song with a similar enough theme (albeit a different overall conclusion) and just want to play that instead. No offense to The Very First Night but Supercut just exists still.

Play a true debut release of an artist (first album, single, etc.)

Bask - American Hollow

20200816_154058-jpg.61820

30 – All Too Well (10 Minute Version)

It’s a pretty epic closer and also makes my job at the end of this one really easy.
Play an album with a really, really long song on it.

Pink Floyd – Meddle
20220630_180836.jpg

My favourite Pink Floyd album thanks especially to the 23 minutes and 31 seconds of awesome that is "Echoes."

28 – Run

Hey, it’s an Ed Sheeran sighting. Apparently, it was between this and Everything Has Changed for placement on the album proper and Everything Has Changed won out.

Play a fast-paced album (ideally with at least one song that you’d find on a running playlist)

Prince - Dirty Mind

Certainly some songs that could be on a running playlist (even though I suspect Prince had other strenuous activities in mind)

20220630_213535.jpg

29 – The Very First Night

To me this is one of those songs that I’d probably like but then I remember another song with a similar enough theme (albeit a different overall conclusion) and just want to play that instead. No offense to The Very First Night but Supercut just exists still.

Play a true debut release of an artist (first album, single, etc.)

Son Volt - Trace

The debut, and by far finest album, of Son Volt. A stone cold classic.
20220630_221248.jpg

It’s a pretty epic closer and also makes my job at the end of this one really easy.

Prince - One Nite Alone...The Aftershow

There's two 10 minute plus songs on this one. Felt like cranking some more Prince this evening.
20220630_230012.jpg

Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die

Being into post rock gives me lots of options for this one. "Djed" fills a whole side at over 20 minutes.

20210118_103258-jpg.84342

Pink Floyd – Meddle
View attachment 144407

My favourite Pink Floyd album thanks especially to the 23 minutes and 31 seconds of awesome that is "Echoes."
I agree with all of this.

24 – Babe – Like Better Man, this is another one she wrote, shelved, and then gave to another country artist to deliver (Sugarland in this case). She also wrote this with the lead singer of Train.

Play an album that was initially released in the CD Era (you know, where Train belongs, let’s say 1990-2010), and yes I know there’s CD diehards here.

Another from the year 1991. When the CD long boxes were a thing, I used to cut out the front cover of them and stick them on my wall. This was up there along with a lot of Metallica and some others I can't think of at the moment.

Soundgarden – Badmotorfinger
A&M Records – 75021 5374 1, 1991

Limited yellow vinyl

DMM cut at Masterdisk
Pressed at Specialty

zid68z.jpg

rXr0T5.jpg

The Allman Bros. Band - Eat A Peach

View attachment 144347
10 minutes!…pfft… mere child’s play, The Allman Brothers dropped a 33 minute version of “Mountain Jam” on Eat A Peach. That single track takes up two full sides (Sides B & D respectively). This was the track I would always play a few times in a row if someone with terrible taste is making poor choices at the juke box at the local tavern.

Classic clip. Love Valley is just up the road. Looks like the last census put the population at 118.

Last edited:

12 minutes of Down by the River, and 16 minutes of Cowgirl in the Sand? YES PLEASE!

Thanks for the fun month @waruv ! Hope all is well. I'll be taking a few months off, but will see y'all in September!

Neil Young and Crazy Horse ~ Live at the Fillmore East

View attachment 144355

30 – All Too Well (10 Minute Version) - Play an album with a really, really long song on it.

Other than the bonus track at eight minutes, every song on the original release is ten minutes plus, highlighted by my favorite Opeth song Black Rose Immortal at over 20.

Opeth - Morningrise

View attachment 144362

Thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the selections this month! Very cool theme @waruv, thanks!

Never thanked @jamieanderson1968 for last month so here's to you as well! 🍻

Day 30 - All Too Well (10 Minute Version)

View attachment 144380

Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz

Ending the month with Sufjan’s 25 minute epic “Impossible Soul”!

Grateful Dead - Live/Dead
View attachment 144381
Starts off with a 23:15 version of Dark Star. The wife just asked me to put on headphones, haha.

@Hemotep I see your 23min of Darkstar and up by another 80min

Grateful Dead/John Oswald - Grayfolded
Taken from over 100 performances of Dark Star recorded between 1968 and 1993. Built, layered and "folded" to produce one large, new re-composed Dark Star. About 110 minutes of “music”. Almost 2 hours of Dark Star noodling mixed together. You either love or hate this album.
View attachment 144383
Thanks @waruv for a great challenge. I was a little skeptical of it being all Swift based challenges but it worked out great.

Day 30: All Too Well (10 Minute Version)

V/A - Woodstock Four

View attachment 144395

A lot of the songs played at this festival went on for longer than they did in the studio versions, and this comp holds some of the longest of them all. 4 of the 7 songs on here go for longer than 13 minutes and Jefferson Airplane’s “Wooden Ships” takes up the entire first side (21:11)!

Play an album that represents the end of an artist's career

Blind Melon - Soup

View attachment 144401

Released 8 weeks before Shannon Hoon’s passing

Thanks for a fun month, @waruv!

Pink Floyd – Meddle
View attachment 144407

These two weren't built to last together, but what a run.

View attachment 144408

Prince - One Nite Alone...The Aftershow

There's two 10 minute plus songs on this one. Felt like cranking some more Prince this evening.
View attachment 144417

Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die

Being into post rock gives me lots of options for this one. "Djed" fills a whole side at over 20 minutes.

20210118_103258-jpg.84342

Hey all! This is who I have for completed runs - I'll set the deadline as end of month if anyone else wants in or I missed anyone and I'll draw a name for a freebie - depending on location and wants we'll figure out the best day. Thanks again to all the participants!

Hey all! This is who I have for completed runs - I'll set the deadline as end of month if anyone else wants in or I missed anyone and I'll draw a name for a freebie - depending on location and wants we'll figure out the best day. Thanks again to all the participants!
What’d I miss?

Last edited:

Laurie Spiegel - The Expanding Universe

View attachment 144338

One of my top50 all time, just making the cut at #50.
How does 28min 28sec sound? The title track of this record of avantgarde masterclass is akin to floating in a no gravity zone in outer space. I'll never forget having discovered this album and this sprawling piece of modular synthesis. How was this possible in 1978??
And yes, it is Musique Plastique approved. ;)

It’s a pretty epic closer and also makes my job at the end of this one really easy. Play an album with a really, really long song on it.

Sleep - Dopesmoker

View attachment 144343

TALKING HEADS Naked
(1988 EMI Japan)
Last of the Talking Heads.

View attachment 144348

The Allman Bros. Band - Eat A Peach

View attachment 144347
10 minutes!…pfft… mere child’s play, The Allman Brothers dropped a 33 minute version of “Mountain Jam” on Eat A Peach. That single track takes up two full sides (Sides B & D respectively). This was the track I would always play a few times in a row if someone with terrible taste is making poor choices at the juke box at the local tavern.

@TenderLovingKiller® - you missed nothing, I missed a page in my quoting. :)

Back