June 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Red (N&G's Version)

I've got some catching up to do today. Summer finals this week got me behind.

26 – I Bet You Think About Me

This one was penned near my neck of the woods in Foxborough, Massachusetts at Lori McKenna’s house and she grabbed Chris Stapleton to feature on it. Two fantastic names. It also had that great little bitter vibe in it that a lot of the great Taylor songs do.

Play an album that has elements of scorn or resentment flowing through it.

Static-X - Start A War
Screenshot_2022-06-30-10-40-40-71_4a808d795e22c35ddff3ce3b406eb72d.jpg

30 – All Too Well (10 Minute Version)

It’s a pretty epic closer and also makes my job at the end of this one really easy.

Play an album with a really, really long song on it.

12 minutes of Down by the River, and 16 minutes of Cowgirl in the Sand? YES PLEASE!

Thanks for the fun month @waruv ! Hope all is well. I'll be taking a few months off, but will see y'all in September!

Neil Young and Crazy Horse ~ Live at the Fillmore East

1656603977563.png

It’s a pretty epic closer and also makes my job at the end of this one really easy.

12 minutes of Down by the River, and 16 minutes of Cowgirl in the Sand? YES PLEASE!

Thanks for the fun month @waruv ! Hope all is well. I'll be taking a few months off, but will see y'all in September!

Neil Young and Crazy Horse ~ Live at the Fillmore East

View attachment 144355
I almost broke out the new Prince Live set for the 20 minute “Purple Rain” closer. I haven’t cracked the seal on that one yet though.

I almost broke out the new Prince Live set for the 20 minute “Purple Rain” closer. I haven’t cracked the seal on that one yet though.
It was either Fillmore East or Rust Bucket for me - the fact that Cowgirl on the Sand was left off Rust Bucket made my choice for me. I get lost in that song.

30 – All Too Well (10 Minute Version) - Play an album with a really, really long song on it.

Other than the bonus track at eight minutes, every song on the original release is ten minutes plus, highlighted by my favorite Opeth song Black Rose Immortal at over 20.

Opeth - Morningrise

PXL_20220630_121150400.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the selections this month! Very cool theme @waruv, thanks!

Never thanked @jamieanderson1968 for last month so here's to you as well! 🍻

27 – Forever Winter

This felt like such an odd choice for the expanded album as it’s so distinctly not a song like most of the others. It’s not about a romance, it’s not about resentment – it’s about fear and panic in many ways. It may be a bit on the simplistic/basic side for the material, but a mental health awareness / friendship song is an interesting turn on this album.

Play an album that has a theme of exploring mental/behavioral health

Don't own the vinyl cause it's hard to get but I listened to this earlier today and it fits this well. Really bummed he died before I could see him play.

St. Thomas - I'm coming homeScreenshot_2022-06-30-13-47-40-49_b842316e563230167e12cc31f5ffaf19.jpg

If you don't know him, do yourself a favor and listen to this song.

28 – Run

Hey, it’s an Ed Sheeran sighting. Apparently, it was between this and Everything Has Changed for placement on the album proper and Everything Has Changed won out.

Play a fast-paced album (ideally with at least one song that you’d find on a running playlist)

I'm gonna say this is a fast paced album because I want to listen to it and I've played it at the gym.

Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
Screenshot_2022-06-30-14-02-57-54_4a808d795e22c35ddff3ce3b406eb72d.jpg

29 – The Very First Night

To me this is one of those songs that I’d probably like but then I remember another song with a similar enough theme (albeit a different overall conclusion) and just want to play that instead. No offense to The Very First Night but Supercut just exists still.

Play an album that contains the “best” version of a particular type of song (in your opinion)

This is always tough, but I'm going with this album for one of the best versions of a blues rock song in large part because this pressing blows me away. It's so dead silent where you want it to be, loud when you want it to be, the separation of the vocals from the instruments is superb. It literally sounds like they're playing in my living room. Best part is that it's not an expensive pressing, it's part of Rhino's Summer of '69 series. I think I got this for $16 and I'd put it up against a lot of supposedly better pressed albums. This fudging smokes.

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band - Keep On Moving

IMG20220630144254.jpg

@Hemotep I see your 23min of Darkstar and up by another 80min

Grateful Dead/John Oswald - Grayfolded
Taken from over 100 performances of Dark Star recorded between 1968 and 1993. Built, layered and "folded" to produce one large, new re-composed Dark Star. About 110 minutes of “music”. Almost 2 hours of Dark Star noodling mixed together. You either love or hate this album.
IMG_1310.jpg
Thanks @waruv for a great challenge. I was a little skeptical of it being all Swift based challenges but it worked out great.

@Hemotep I see your 23min of Darkstar and up by another 80min

Grateful Dead/John Oswald - Grayfolded
Taken from over 100 performances of Dark Star recorded between 1968 and 1993. Built, layered and "folded" to produce one large, new re-composed Dark Star. About 110 minutes of “music”. Almost 2 hours of Dark Star noodling mixed together. You either love or hate this album.
View attachment 144383
Thanks @waruv for a great challenge. I was a little skeptical of it being all Swift based challenges but it worked out great.
I need this. Thanks for putting it on my radar.

28 – Run
Play a fast-paced album (ideally with at least one song that you’d find on a running playlist)

Beachheads - Beachheads

899A6DDD-6DFB-409D-BE4B-F4BE90D4D55C.jpeg

Discovered this band in the power pop thread here (thanks @espendo!). This isn’t a “fast-paced” album per se but definitely a decent jogging speed. “Your Highness” is particularly great, it’s like someone used AI to create a perfectly crafted pop song using my preferences.

Back